Where to repair tank at?

snakestorm526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 90 gallon goldfish tank has sprung a leak... I can only fill the tank up halfway before it starts to leak from somewhere... Does anybody know a place I can take the tank to to get it resealed? I need to find a place in the Los Angeles / San Gabriel Valley that can do repairs... I figure it would be cheaper to get it repaired than to try to replace the tank... Someone please help

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're up to the task, you could re-seal the tank yourself. Search the DIY forums, I'm sure there's plenty of posts.

If you want to DIY, you'll need to be prepared to be without the tank for about 10-14days, as the silicone will need time to go 'off'.

All you'd need is some aquarium safe silicone, a caulking gun (available in Aus for about $3AUD at any hardware), a razor blade to remove the old silicone [assuming it's glass], some rubbing alcohol or methylated spirits to clean the area prior to applying the fresh silicone. Then let it go off for about 10-14 days (out of direct sunlight), rinse thoroughly in fresh water to remove any traces of alcohol/silicone, leave to dry in direct sunlight (UV sterilisation) and begin filling again.

edit: fill the tank and let it stand for a day or two to make sure there are no more leaks.

HTH

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello SnakeStorm,

Should you want to reseal the tank yourself, you may find the link below helpful:

Best of luck.
Ken

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I take mine outside to repair them. I have a 130 G on my front porch right now. I removed the bottom trim yesterday and found a 6 inch split in the bottom seam. I cut all the bottom seams and will be resealing today.

If you reseal it yourself use GE I clear silicone and let it sure a min. of 7 days.

snakestorm526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the responses, but I am looking to get it professionally repaired... I don't have the time or expertise to do it myself.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would imagine any LFS could recommend someone.

Alternatively, try custom tank builders, they'll probably be able to do it (given they build the things )

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom