Where to repair tank at?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by snakestorm526, Apr 12, 2010.

  1. snakestorm526Valued MemberMember

    My 90 gallon goldfish tank has sprung a leak... I can only fill the tank up halfway before it starts to leak from somewhere... Does anybody know a place I can take the tank to to get it resealed? I need to find a place in the Los Angeles / San Gabriel Valley that can do repairs... I figure it would be cheaper to get it repaired than to try to replace the tank... Someone please help
  2. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

    If you're up to the task, you could re-seal the tank yourself. Search the DIY forums, I'm sure there's plenty of posts.

    If you want to DIY, you'll need to be prepared to be without the tank for about 10-14days, as the silicone will need time to go 'off'.

    All you'd need is some aquarium safe silicone, a caulking gun (available in Aus for about $3AUD at any hardware), a razor blade to remove the old silicone [assuming it's glass], some rubbing alcohol or methylated spirits to clean the area prior to applying the fresh silicone. Then let it go off for about 10-14 days (out of direct sunlight), rinse thoroughly in fresh water to remove any traces of alcohol/silicone, leave to dry in direct sunlight (UV sterilisation) and begin filling again.

    edit: fill the tank and let it stand for a day or two to make sure there are no more leaks.

    HTH :D
  3. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

    Hello SnakeStorm,

    Should you want to reseal the tank yourself, you may find the link below helpful:


    Best of luck.
  4. ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

    I take mine outside to repair them. I have a 130 G on my front porch right now. I removed the bottom trim yesterday and found a 6 inch split in the bottom seam. I cut all the bottom seams and will be resealing today.

    If you reseal it yourself use GE I clear silicone and let it sure a min. of 7 days.
  5. snakestorm526Valued MemberMember

    Thanks for the responses, but I am looking to get it professionally repaired... I don't have the time or expertise to do it myself.
  6. ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

    Ask at one of you LFS. Thy may know a local hobbyist who can.
  7. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

    I would imagine any LFS could recommend someone.

    Alternatively, try custom tank builders, they'll probably be able to do it (given they build the things :) )

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice