Where to put shrimp? Help asap

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,076
Reaction score
364
Location
bergen county nj
so I impulsively bought 4 cherry shrimp and 2 blue shrimp. um, I have four tanks. ten gallon with betta and 2 hillstream loaches. 20 gallon with zebra danios harlequin rasboras and a clown pleco. a 29 gallon with betta fry and a 10 gallon with celestial pearl danios. where do I put them? should I move some fish around? I was thinking of moving the betta and the hillstream loaches to the 20 gallon and makd the 10 a shrimp only tank but I don't want the cherry shrimp and the blue shrimp to breed together so what should I do??? if u guys think I should move some fish around or whatever lmk! also I was worried that the shrimp would have suchc a low bio load that the tank cycle would stall. I also have malaysian trumpet snails and one assassin snail I'm the ten gallon so help me pleaseeeee!!! I just put some black worms in like 5 minutes ago would they live in the tank too or would they die??
 

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known
Member
Messages
781
Reaction score
155
Location
Mississauga CANADA
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have shrimp only tanks and I have not had an issue with my cycled tanks. I am pretty sure that the Hillstreams will be ok with the shrimp I also keep a clown and cories with my RCS. I am trying out Galaxy rasboras as a nano fish to go along with them. My concern with the Hillstreams is that they like High Flows and currents and the shrimp like lower flows.
 

cmid21

Active Member
Member
Messages
216
Reaction score
164
Location
United States
I would put the more expensive shrimp (blue) with the Celestial Pearls and the Cherry in the 20 with the zebra danios and hope they don't become food.
You can also just throw all the shrimp in with the Celestial Pearls (both like cooler water) and see what happens. The CPDs won't eat the adult shrimp (in most cases). Very worst case, the CPDs eat any baby shrimp. Second to worst case, you get natural color shrimp. Best case you get Cherry, Blue or weird variation offspring. Either way you can remove any undesired shrimp colors to different tanks. Hardly a disastrous situation, you will be fine.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,076
Reaction score
364
Location
bergen county nj
AQUA_LOVER said:
I have shrimp only tanks and I have not had an issue with my cycled tanks. I am pretty sure that the Hillstreams will be ok with the shrimp I also keep a clown and cories with my RCS. I am trying out Galaxy rasboras as a nano fish to go along with them. My concern with the Hillstreams is that they like High Flows and currents and the shrimp like lower flows.
yeah what happens is that half the tank has a higher flow the other half is a lot calmer so like my betta is happy and so r the hullstream loaches. (I think) my thing tho is that ik hillstream loaches like bloodworms so I was worried they would also like shrimp. so should I move the betta
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,076
Reaction score
364
Location
bergen county nj
cmid21 said:
I would put the more expensive shrimp (blue) with the Celestial Pearls and the Cherry in the 20 with the zebra danios and hope they don't become food.
You can also just throw all the shrimp in with the Celestial Pearls (both like cooler water) and see what happens. The CPDs won't eat the adult shrimp (in most cases). Very worst case, the CPDs eat any baby shrimp. Second to worst case, you get natural color shrimp. Best case you get Cherry, Blue or weird variation offspring. Either way you can remove any undesired shrimp colors to different tanks. Hardly a disastrous situation, you will be fine.
ok cool so would u say the celestial pearl danios will give me the best chance of survival? my only problem is that that it isn't my tank its my brothers and all the plants r dying and his water quality isn't THE BEST but I'm making him do better so ima not trust them in there. so the three tanks r my only real options ya kmow
 

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known
Member
Messages
781
Reaction score
155
Location
Mississauga CANADA
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would try it out. Unfortunately all fish have different personalities and sometimes what works for one person won't work for another and vice versa. I have had docile bettas that eat anything else that is with them and I have read about bettas that don't eat any shrimp. Provide lots of hiding places and you will increase your chances for survival. Or even temporarily keep the shrimp in a net basket in the 10 gallon and let them breed (only takes 30 days for them to be born).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,076
Reaction score
364
Location
bergen county nj
AQUA_LOVER said:
I would try it out. Unfortunately all fish have different personalities and sometimes what works for one person won't work for another and vice versa. I have had docile bettas that eat anything else that is with them and I have read about bettas that don't eat any shrimp. Provide lots of hiding places and you will increase your chances for survival. Or even temporarily keep the shrimp in a net basket in the 10 gallon and let them breed (only takes 30 days for them to be born).
wait I have a basket I made for a fish fry trap where I put the adults in and the fish eggs fall put or the fry swim out I could put the shrimp in there let them breed and boom problem solved!! how long for them to breed?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,076
Reaction score
364
Location
bergen county nj
idkausernamesoyeah said:
wait I have a basket I made for a fish fry trap where I put the adults in and the fish eggs fall put or the fry swim out I could put the shrimp in there let them breed and boom problem solved!! how long for them to breed?
and honestly my betta is very very chill she is ok with like anything. and my water is medium hard is that ok for shrimp?
 

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known
Member
Messages
781
Reaction score
155
Location
Mississauga CANADA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine do. Everyone in the area has hard water and they are easily found. I started with 12 and have more than 70. The key is to keep the parameters consistent.

Crystal shrimp on the other hand require RO water to live let alone thrive.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
272
Guests online
3,340
Total visitors
3,612

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom