Where To Put My Pregnant Platys How Do I

1. R

Ronan0404 New Member Member

I have three pregnant platys about to give birth and I’m planning on selling the babies, so I don’t want all of them to get eaten. In my tank I have 3 zebra danios one male platy and the three females. I have an un-cycled 10 gallon tank and I’m wondering if I should put the fry or other fish in there.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Sorry to say but I doubt anyone will buy them, they are really common fish. Unless they’re uncommon colors.

You can add a bunch of foliage on the top area of the tank. Fake or real plants work. You would just need a ton of hiding spaces for the fry. Since the tank is uncycled I would not risk putting fry or fish in it.

3. FreshFishes

FreshFishes Valued Member Member

I know lots of fish stores (esp. LFS) that will take platies once they’re about the length of a dime :), and my LFS pays me 25¢ each. That’s how I’ve always gotten rid of my unexpected or extra babies. Takes about 2-6 months until they’re that big, but I think it’s a good way to get rid of them.

Regarding your question OP, I think that you would have some luck if you have lots of cover/hiding spots in the main tank. Plants are a huge help with hiding teeny tiny fry! My little guppies play tag in the roots of my Anubias. Once they start swimming upright, the babies are pretty quick. The ten gallon could work but I’ve had minimal experience with fry and cycling, so please take my advice on that with a grain of salt. I wish you luck with your soon to be born fishies!

Edit: I fixed some spelling errors.