Where To Put Clown Killis

1. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I love peaceful killifish and my LFS has currently Epiplatys annulatus and I fell in love.

Option 1 - 40 breeder - 25 C

2 keyhole cichlids
    10 Norman's Lampeyes
    11 Trigonostigma espei
    8 Kuhli loaches
    1 BN ancistrus
    3 Amano shrimp
    Nerites

Option 2 - 20 gal long -24 C

2 sparkling gouramis
    10 chili rasboras
    10 corydoras habrosus

Option 3 - 10 gal

With Heterandria Formosa (Least killifish).
    This tank doesn't have the Least killifish yet.

2. Hill Dweller Member Member

I had clown killis happily in a 10 gallon they are great for nano tanks too.

They are very bite-sized so be very careful about bigger fish, the cichlids would have me a bit concerned. The other two tanks sound just fine. Enjoy, they are fun little characters :)

3. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Thanks! The Keyholes are harmless, according to seriouslyfish they won't touch fry larger than a few millimeters which is true. I raised lampeye fry in that tank, when I introduced them they were less than 1 cm long and the Keyholes didn't even look at them.

What has me confused is that they are mostly described at living in the upper third part off the tank. I watched a few YouTube movies and they were all over the place.
    How many did you have, how long did they live and where did they spend most of their time? Sorry for all the questions :)

4. Hill Dweller Member Member

I had 10 and whilst they are top swimmers and their upturned mouth makes surface feeding easier, they were indeed frequently all over the tank - which I like!

I moved them into my new bookshelf tank and my seeded media didn't go so well, I had a huge pH crash which did them in :-( but so long as you have settled parameters they are super easy and fun to watch. Their blue eyes are fantastic!

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd probably put them in the 20 long.