Where to put canister filter

Virtualmaze

Hi,
I have a top fin 75 hob filter on my 55 gallon and now bought a fluval 407 too
However I realize the area under our stand isn't strong enough. We could enforce it, or, can I place the filter next to the aquarium?
However it says the hoses should go straight without slack etc. A bit annoying that the hoses need to be cut which means we can't change our mind about the placement later.

I'm also considering returning it and getting the bit smaller 307, thoughts? And should I also keep the hob running?

I'd like to make my life as easy as possible :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220116_180626792.jpg
    PXL_20220116_180626792.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220116_180640057.jpg
    PXL_20220116_180640057.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 12

Suniv2

Just place it on the shelf if you want to move it you can just buy a new hose
You have to keep it running for two weeks before removing it

im sry dont place it on the shelf if you havent strengthent it

carsonsgjs

You could strengthen the shelf (a 407 full of media and water does weigh quite a bit) or place it next to the tank. I run one of my canisters alongside the tank rather than underneath it and it causes me no issues. I’d run the HOB and the 407 personally - could be overkill though (don’t know how stocked your tank is, if at all). The 407 will probably be fine on its own if you stock sensibly.

Virtualmaze

So definitely 407 and not 307?
And next to is fine..

Suniv2

Both can work

PAcanis

I'm trying out a nano canister for the first time. It's my understanding that it only needs to be below the waterline. Mine sits right next to my tank.

At any rate, invest in the quick connects for the hoses if it did not come with them. Otherwise you have to set the canister above the waterline to take it apart and service it.

After using it for a while I'm thinking of getting a more substantial model and doing away with the HOB. And using quick connects :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views
GHittle96
Replies
Views
BevM
Replies
Views