Where to put attacked guppies overnight?

kitsuwn

so things are not looking too good tonight. i had my new male betta in a 5 gallon tank with 2 male guppies. everything was fine for around 5 days. i was sitting near the tank and witnessed my betta attack one of the guppies, taking a fairly big chunk out of his tail. he kept chasing him around and around and it wouldn't stop. i have never seen him do this before, and i don't know if it was because i was sitting there watching or what. i took the 2 guppies out and put them into my 6 gallon tank with my female betta and 2 endlers - the same thing happened. she chased them around and around, especially the injured one (she's fine with the endlers). i took them out of there and now have them sitting in a glass bowl.

what can i do?? i don't have another tank i can set up for them. it's 7pm here right now and the store i bought them from is very far away so taking them back there tomorrow is not really something i can do. i can call up some aquarium stores tomorrow and ask if they will take them, but how do i keep them alive overnight in a bowl? i know i've made a big mistake here, but if i left them in with the betta i fear he would kill them.

PeterFishKeepin

hmm sorry about your betta...

is it possible for you to get a piece of plastic or something and devide your 5 gal in half?? and put male betta on one side and the female on the other side?? then with the other tank put the guppies in there then return them ASAP.

RayClem

While a 5 gallon tank is big enough for a single male betta, it is not large enough for a betta and two guppies, especially male guppies with flowing fins.

Bettas are highly territorial and will defend their territory against anything they see as a potential threat. While they might not attack an ember tetra, they will attack anything with long fins, especially in a confined space. I have kept Siamese algae eaters with bettas with no issues. I have kept a male betta with guppies in a 20 gallon tank that had lots of hiding places. Trying to do that in a 5 gallon tank is not going to work.

While you could divide your 5 gallon in half to separate you guppies until you can return them, it would not be fair to either the guppies or the betta to try to maintain them that way long term. I know that bettas are kept in containers that may hold no more than a cup of water, but that is far from ideal.

If you want multiple fish, get a larger tank.

kitsuwn

While a 5 gallon tank is big enough for a single male betta, it is not large enough for a betta and two guppies, especially male guppies with flowing fins.

Bettas are highly territorial and will defend their territory against anything they see as a potential threat. While they might not attack an ember tetra, they will attack anything with long fins, especially in a confined space. I have kept Siamese algae eaters with bettas with no issues. I have kept a male betta with guppies in a 20 gallon tank that had lots of hiding places. Trying to do that in a 5 gallon tank is not going to work.

While you could divide your 5 gallon in half to separate you guppies until you can return them, it would not be fair to either the guppies or the betta to try to maintain them that way long term. I know that bettas are kept in containers that may hold no more than a cup of water, but that is far from ideal.

If you want multiple fish, get a larger tank.
i just purchased a 10 gallon tank for the guppies and am currently cycling it. one of the guppies passed away, so i'm doing a fish-in-cycle on the new tank. i squeezed out dirty sponge water from my 6 gallon into the new filter to hopefully speed the cycle up.

will the single guppy be ok by himself in the new tank while its cycling? he's actively swimming around and eating, and i'm dosing prime to protect him from the ammonia.

PeterFishKeepin

i just purchased a 10 gallon tank for the guppies and am currently cycling it. one of the guppies passed away, so i'm doing a fish-in-cycle on the new tank. i squeezed out dirty sponge water from my 6 gallon into the new filter to hopefully speed the cycle up.

will the single guppy be ok by himself in the new tank while its cycling? he's actively swimming around and eating, and i'm dosing prime to protect him from the ammonia.
it should be fine but i would do 25% wc daily or every two days to keep ammonia and nitrate low.

you are familiar with cycling, and procedures involved with fish in cycles?

kitsuwn

it should be fine but i would do 25% wc daily or every two days to keep ammonia and nitrate low.

you are familiar with cycling, and procedures involved with fish in cycles?
i have read up on it, however i'm not as familiar with it as i am with a fishless cycle. i actually have a thread here where i have posted about it and everything that's happened: New 10g guppy tank seeded cycle | Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle Forum | 526118

i did do a 50% water change today with that tank and then dosed prime.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Whitewolf
Replies
Views
SukiD
Replies
Views
gorejusdesign
Replies
Views