Where To Purchase Live Fish?

CastleGrayskull

Hey y'all!

So I don't have any fish shops nearby other than Petco and PetSmart and after my recent debacle with dead snails I really don't want to shop there fore livestock anymore. The problem is that I went to one place and was about to spend $40 on livestock but the cost to ship them was literally the same amount as the fish themselves! Are there any online shops that do not charge an arm and a leg for shipping, or is that just a price to pay, so to speak, for ordering live fish?

JaksAquatics

I assume that was aquatic arts I really don't know what to say they have really good quality but the shipping is darn expensive once you reach 50 posts you can buy from other people on here other then that I don't really have any experience on shipping fish besides aquatic arts hope this helps

Morpheus1967

Unfortunately, shipping is going to be expensive pretty much everywhere. I mean think about it. They are sending live fish anywhere in the country, and overnight in some cases. Plus a lot of the legit ones will guarantee live delivery, meaning if the fish perish, they replace them at their cost.

Not sure where you are in Texas, but there is nothing close to you? Say within an hour drive?

CastleGrayskull

Don't get this post wrong. I understand why it is expensive to ship them. I get it. I just have a hard time justifying doubling the cost for the livestock in my head, that's all. So I'm trying to see if there are any places that alleviate shipping costs.

The places remotely aren't great..

Morpheus1967

Are there any local fish clubs? Maybe ordering in bulk could help with cost? And even though the places near enough to you aren't remotely great, have you asked them if you could piggyback on their next shipment? Like a special order just for you? I am sure you would pay a premium, but certainly less than to your house?

Just spitballing ideas. I wish I had a name of a place to give you, but I have been fortunate in living near some great LFS. Best of luck!

CastleGrayskull

Great ideas Morpheus! I didn't even think about fish clubs!

DuaneV

I buy almost exclusively from my local Petco. Theyre fantastic. Never had a problem with anything, ever. That said, all are different for sure.

Buying live fish online, you're going to spend far more on shipping than the actual fish, and there's NO guarantees that theyll arrive alive or healthy. Its a ton of stress on them, especially since theyve probably been shipped to the place your buying from, unless you're buying from a legit breeder. In which case the fish will be more expensive and you're still paying shipping.

Guanchy

have you check craiglist and sites of that sort? a lot of people sell fish there. Well at least in my area. I have bought killI fish from craiglist and all my shrimps I found them on craigslist as well.

sloughdog

Try TRiNs fish. I’ve found their shipping more reasonable but it may also depend on how far and what is being shipped.
If your local stores are that bad, you’re still ahead ordering online if you’re dealing with sick fish, dead fish, medications, quarantining, and everything else that goes along with diseased fish bought locally.
Aquatic Arts breeds a lot of their fish and are high quality. I’ve purchased many fish from them and never had an issue. Same with Trins and a few others I’ve used.

The_fishy

I use aquatic arts usually and haven’t had any problems with them. If you have a local friend who also wanted to get things from them, you could order together and split the shipping cost.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Adam Alston
Replies
Views
Kalyke
Replies
Views
Ferretlady
Replies
Views