Where to place heater 55 Gallon Tank

1. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

So I got my new 300W heater in the mail yesterday. It seems pretty nice, especially for one so cheap (paid about $13 for it, shipped, off eBay). It's adjustable and goes up to 90F (it's in Celsius, but that's okay).

Anyway, I put it in the tank yesterday when I got it, keeping the old heater in there and on, and the thermostat light came on and YAY! Checked it again after a few hours (just to make sure everything was still working) and the pilot light was off, but the thermometer in the tank was still reading 78F (which is what the old heater heats to). Hrm. I decided to leave it overnight and see what happened. Checked it this morning and the pilot light is still off and the tank is still at 78F. Reached into the tank and the new heater is still warm, so I'm pretty sure it's still working.

So, I dug the box the heater came out of the trash and it says to place the heater in an area with good circulation or else the heater will not function properly. I currently have the heater suctioned to the glass about 2-3" from my filter intake, which is at the front right corner of the tank. The old heater is in basically the same position, just in the back right corner of the tank (so about 10" away). The filter intake should be drawing enough of the heated water away from the heater to make sure it has fresh water to heat, yes? It's been almost 24 hours that the new heater has been in the tank. Should I take the old heater out and see if it'll start heating the water to the higher temperature it's set to? I got the new heater because my tank has/had ich and my old heater was adjusted as high as it would go and still wasn't heating the tank past 78F.

So, any thoughts?

2. Fall River Member Member

I think your placement is ideal. The warmed water gets pulled into the intake then circulated by the filter. All my heaters are set up the exact same way. What temp is the new one set at? Higher than the old one? If so then the temp should be the higher of the two. If you have doubts you can either put the new heater in a bucket and check it that way, or, even easier, you can just unplug the old one and let the new take over and monitor the temp.
    Dale

3. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

The new heater is set to 86F (in hopes of getting rid of the last vestiges of that ich). The old heater is technically set to 90F, but won't heat the tank past 78F...hence the reason I bought the new heater.

I think I'm going to go with the second suggestion and unplug the old heater.

BTW, I love your thirst for knowledge saying in your signature. That's great!

4. Fall River Member Member

Well thank you very much. :) Your Adams quote is right on the money. Best of luck ridding the tank of ich.

5. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

The ich is mostly gone...after losing half my fish, including two of my favorites (my featherfin catfish that I've had for over two years and my yoyo loach). :( I have one danio that still has it, but other than that everyone else is pretty much cleared up.

And thanks. I found that quote and couldn't pass it up.