Where To Get Wood/large Pieces To Aquascape My Tank?

• Thread starter madelyn anne
  • Start date

madelyn anne

Hello!

I currently have a 36 G bow front tank, that only has artificial plants and decorations in it. I keep seeing all these posts with these BEAUTIFUL planted tanks, that all have awesome pieces of wood in them.

I have been to every pet store near me, and can't seem to find any really rad aquascaping wood anywhere, and if I were to find a cool piece either in nature or at a non-fish store somewhere, how could I know if it's aquarium safe?

Thank you!

xx

DaleM

Well Known
madelyn anne said:
Hello!

I currently have a 36 G bow front tank, that only has artificial plants and decorations in it. I keep seeing all these posts with these BEAUTIFUL planted tanks, that all have awesome pieces of wood in them.

I have been to every pet store near me, and can't seem to find any really rad aquascaping wood anywhere, and if I were to find a cool piece either in nature or at a non-fish store somewhere, how could I know if it's aquarium safe?

Thank you!

xx
Hello hello!

I always err on the side of caution with any driftwood and treat it as not being aquarium safe. I soaked mine in tap water for a few days and then soaked it in boiling water a number of times. Some people stick the wood in the oven, but I just used the boiling water.

Soaking it also helps to release some of the tannins in the wood. Tannins aren't harmful to your tank, but can turn your water the colour of weak tea which some find unsightly.

The other option is to visit a beach and find your own - that's what most people do, so long as you adequately treat it so you don't introduce anything into your aquarium

SixThreeOh

Well Known
Aquarium Co-op in Edmonds normally has some nice pieces online.

The Rover

Well Known
Connect with people on the buy/sell/trade forum. Many times they have pieces that they are no longer using and are willing to sell. Many times they’ve been used in their tanks so they are tank safe. And probably pretty inexpensive too.

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
I got my spiderwood on eBay, and three pieces of manzanita from . That website is great. Lots to choose from and sells by the piece, so no random pieces by size. I also believe they have a buy 2 get 1 special going on,and reasonable prices. You can also scour eBay like I did but it can be slI'm pickings.

madelyn anne

SixThreeOh said:
Aquarium Co-op in Edmonds normally has some nice pieces online.
They do, don't they! Whenever I go, I'm always so focused on all the beautiful fishies and of course, Murphy, that I forget to look at the dry goods and the wood/rocks/etc. But you're absolutely right, I can't believe I didn't think about that. They're right up near the front. I'll stop by tomorrow and check out what they've got! (And say hello to Murphy, lol)

tommywantfishy

Well Known
madelyn anne said:
Hello!

Thank you!

xx
I like manzanita house on etsy. Great seller.

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
tommywantfishy said:
I like manzanita house on etsy. Great seller.
That’s the same guy that does
. . You can tell by the listing photos. Great pieces.

OnTheFly

Well Known
Locally might be an option since you live by one of the largest aquatic plant clubs in the US. I picked up four pieces at a local fish swap a couple weeks ago for a ridiculously good price.

NightShade

Well Known
madelyn anne said:
They do, don't they! Whenever I go, I'm always so focused on all the beautiful fishies and of course, Murphy, that I forget to look at the dry goods and the wood/rocks/etc. But you're absolutely right, I can't believe I didn't think about that. They're right up near the front. I'll stop by tomorrow and check out what they've got! (And say hello to Murphy, lol)
Lol... I'm so jealous!! All I've got near me is Petsmart, and they don't sell wood anymore they said because "people kept complaining that their driftwood got moldy or grew fluff"! Ugh... come on people! Not petsmart's fault! That's just what happens at first! (If they researched it, they would've known) So, now they don't sell wood for aquariums anymore.

OnTheFly

Well Known
NightShade said:
Lol... I'm so jealous!! All I've got near me is Petsmart, and they don't sell wood anymore they said because "people kept complaining that their driftwood got moldy or grew fluff"! Ugh... come on people! Not petsmart's fault! That's just what happens at first! (If they researched it, they would've known) So, now they don't sell wood for aquariums anymore.
The reality is 75% of their customers need clown puke gravel and a couple plastic ornaments FTW.

sloughdog

Well Known
One way I’ve found some really cool and interesting pieces of aquarium wood is from the root ball of blown over trees. The roots are all twisted and gnarly making them very unique. Downside is the prep of cleaning and preparing it.

fishandle

I will probably be criticized for using the e word, but I have a reliable ebay seller that I get my wood from. Look at some of the items that "rockartcreation" is selling. Not the cheapest, but some really nice stuff.

tommywantfishy

Well Known
AngelTheGypsy said:
That’s the same guy that does
. . You can tell by the listing photos. Great pieces.

Actually it is a she! Ha.

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
I just got 2 med/lg pieces of Malaysian driftwood from Dr Foster and Smith for $9 ea. Free shipping over $19. Both are pretty good looking and are soaking right now. They sank immediately but there are some tannins so I'll let them soak for a few days.

NightShade

Well Known
DarkOne said:
I just got 2 med/lg pieces of Malaysian driftwood from Dr Foster and Smith for $9 ea. Free shipping over $19. Both are pretty good looking and are soaking right now. They sank immediately but there are some tannins so I'll let them soak for a few days.
Pics? I've always been tempted to order driftwood from them!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
ADG has amazing driftwood. I think that they ship to different states.

Dawn Michele

Well Known
75g Discus Tank said:
ADG has amazing driftwood. I think that they ship to different states.
They do ship to different states. That's were I got mine from.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
NightShade said:
Pics? I've always been tempted to order driftwood from them!
They're soaking now but I put them in a pan with a 12" ruler to show size. They're bigger than I expected.

2017-11-27 22.09.05.jpg

NightShade

Well Known
DarkOne said:
They're soaking now but I put them in a pan with a 12" ruler to show size. They're bigger than I expected.

2017-11-27 22.09.05.jpg
Nice!! Thanks!!

Top Bottom