Where to get Pure ammonia?

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi guys. I got some bad news. I'm not going to upgrade due to the fact that I live in a really small apartment and I don't have the room to put in my 10 gallon. My mom disapprovs of me having the 20 gallon. She said to wait until you get your own place or whenever she could find a larger place.

So now my question is, where I could find pure ammonia. I want to set up one of the 2.5 gallon tanks and used them for either putting my apple snail in there once it's done cycling or to put a betta in( Yeah I'm also interested on keeping bettas. One betta cannot stop stare at me at the pet store today.). My local family dollar and Walgreens sells ammonia, but it have the perfume nd things and I don't know if the dollar store near me sells pure ammonia. Any other place I can go to find pure ammonia like a home depot or something?

Thanks. I'm getting paid in 2 weeks. I just got paid Friday and it's not a really big check.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A few members here say that found it at Ace Hardware.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You mean in local stores? Never heard of Ace Hardware.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ace Hardware is a chain, but it is possible it's not in your area. You could also try WalMart, Home Depot and Lowes, or just order a bottle of Tetra SafeStart and be done with it.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh. Well I was thinking of doing a fishless cycle. That's why I was asking about the Pure ammonia.

Jayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I actually looked quite a few places before I found mine. I got mine at Schnucks which is a local grocery store. Try a hardware store or a grocery store.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got mine from Ace hardware. One gallon bottle...I don't need that much but that's the only thing they have.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I went to Ace Hardware's web site and searched for locations around Chicago. There were so many that popped up on the map it showed an error on my computer, so they are around. The other problem you might have is that if you are asking stores for pure ammonia they are likely telling you they don't have it. You do not want the perfumes and stuff but pure ammonia is a hazardous material and not available to most people. What we call pure ammonia is actually like a 10% ammonia solution. Here is a link to Ace's store and it shows what theirs looks like. On line you can only order a 15 pack but you can get one of these bottles in store for a few bucks and it will be enough to cycle 100 tanks of more.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ohthanks for the map. ^^ I'll go and get some. hehe.. I don't want my future betta to die while cycling a tank. It's too stressful.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We aren't as big as Chicago but Knoxville is good sized and I never could find any. I thought about ordering it on line but I'm not sure if Ammonia can go through the mail, but you could look into that maybe.

maxima423

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
go to ACE hardware store and look for a product called "Janitor Strength Ammonia"

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
maxima423 said:
go to ACE hardware store and look for a product called "Janitor Strength Ammonia"
That's what I was using. They only had 1 gallon bottle though.

maxima423

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1 gallon is more than enough, you prob won't even use 80% of it, you just need a little

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh okay. There's a ACE hardware near me( like 15 min walking distances).

Tommrow I'm getting paid and I'll go and buy supplies for the 2 gallon hex. I already have a used undergravel filter that came with it and gravel. I just to but the airpump and the heater, and maybe another filter so that the tank will be nice and safe for the betta. ^^

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have an established 20 gallon you can cycle it much faster by using something, like filter media or substrate, from it in the new tanks. Or you could put the filters from your little tanks on the 20. That way you would have a guaranteed cycle in 2-4 weeks, rather than wait what may be a couple of months for fishless cycling. It is also a lot less work than all the adding and testing to find out when your tank is ready.

Just an idea.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I have no room for a 20 gallon. Only for the 2 gallon. I was also thinking of adding water from the 10 gallon and just do a instant cycle there.

The fish are doing great. Just to give the update. The tank looks so crystal clear after I've done a water change and cleaning the filter media and now everyone seems to calm down. Weird..

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you had a 20 gallon set up and couldn't get a 10 gallon.
But just using water from the 10 won't cycle your 2.5. There isn't that much in the way of BB floating free in the water.

Cordi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
if you're having problems in finding pure ammonia, you might want to try adding a peice of mussle meat to your aquarium for 2 days instead.

the decomp will rise your ammonia levels to a high enough lvl for you to use safestart to good effect.

it shouldn't take longer then 2 weeks to cycle the tank, as long as you have a good enough filter.

Cordi

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I got pure ammonia today. The tank was sitting for 2 days now. When I should start using the ammonia? This is the levels so far after 2 days.

Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0.25-0.5
Nitrate: 5.0

I went to **** land when I saw those results..

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads