Where To Get More Fish Question

1. berri

berri New Member Member

I have a 60 gallon tank with only one rainbow shark. I would like to add more fish, but my shark is about 3" long and all the fish at petsmart are really small. Small enough I would think to be food for the shark. I was thinking those little cory fish or a rubbernose pleco. Maybe a gourmis, but where would I get fish that are big enough that they would not be food?

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Rainbow sharks stay around the bottom on the tank so shouldn't bother any fish that occupy the other levels of the tank. I have a rainbow shark with angelfish, Corys, apistos, rams, and danios. He was also previously kept with a gourami so yeah you have a lot of options :) would recommend checking temperature compatibilities though. :)

3. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

My tank temp stays at 78 -80. Cory stay at the bottom too, so would he not eat them because they are really small, almost micro at petsmart.

4. D

Disturbed.) Valued Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

I will look at your link, but when I research before, all the fish stores were 4 hours away from me.

6. D

Your profile doesnt say where in AL you are

7. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

thank you, I will fix that.

8. D

9. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

yeah, that is about a 2 hr drive one way depending on Traffic around Atlanta, it could be longer. But Thank you for trying. Maybe I will just keep my shark by herself.

10. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Shark mouths are not able to physically open and swallow a whole fish. Cory cats have spines that if something tries to eat it they will extended all their fins and make it very hard. The mouth of the shark is only as wide as the tip of its nose, fish that are larger than this will be okay with them (as far as not being able to be engulfed in its mouth), if your rainbow shark is by itself it may not take kindly to other fish in the first place. However there are several fish that you can look at getting that would be able to live with the fish (either able to swim away quickly or ornery enough to deal with it).

11. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnson Valued Member Member

I’ve never had one, but I have read that in their natural habitat, Rainbow Sharks are omnivores. Just thought it was Interesting

12. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

then they kill just cause they can?

13. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I've never had my rainbow shark kill anything. It's 3 years old and fully grown.

14. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

I'd get the fish from an actual LFS. Not petco or petsmart. Go on google and see what you can find. This honestly helped me find a LFS that takes very good care of everything they have.

15. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

I live a good 2 hrs away (one way) from any LFS except for petsmart. PetSmart is only 1 hour away. Petco is 1.5 hours. I guess ordering on line is my option

16. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

If the fish are healthy from either of the chain stores there is no reason not to go to them for fish. The fish can survive several hours inside the bag from either chain store (as long as the bags aren't over packed with many fish).

17. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

If the fish are bagged with pure oxygen, they can survive for about 3 days comfortably. If they are bagged with normal air, they can survive around 18 hours in the bag comfortably.(Because air is about 24% oxygen while pure oxygen is 100% oxygen. )

18. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

I never buy many fish at once. I buy one fish..then I think about it for a while. That why I only have one fish in the four months I start my tank.