Where To Get Endlers? Question

Discussion in 'Endlers Livebearers' started by Chillin, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Chillin

Chillin Valued Member Member

reading up on endlers a little bit and seen there are anywhere from 65$ to 4$
    how can i tell if its not a N x N ?
    paperwork?
    worth investing?

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

You can find them at LFS. I know some that have them in with feeder guppies for ยข19 each.

3. coralbandit

coralbandit Well Known Member Member

AquaBid has nationally renowned Endler breeders like Adrian Hernadez on it..
    You can find many class of endlers from reputable breeders there.

4. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed on aquabid.
    Most endlers sold in stores are crosses... esp when cheap ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Chillin

what about paper work stuffs to know if they are legit, of if i get them it worth me getting them checked?

6. coralbandit

coralbandit Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately in the fish world pedigrees don't really exist ..
    I like to use the breeder or collection point my fish were acquired from as my pedigree as I too think lineage is very important to those who take breeding seriously. When I say where my breeding stock was acquired from I count that as 'pedigree' ?
    Adrian is seriously a reputable breeder and seller[his name is known].
    By researching more on the strain you would like to keep you may stumble on links from people in the know who share their sources.
    Good luck and way to go starting out with the desire for top notch fish !

7. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

OK, I'm just getting started in this, but from following some of the top Endler experts, this is what I have discovered:
    There are a few strains of wild-caught endler out there -- the original from Endler's collection in the 70's which are PROBABLY all gone/hybridized by now; another batch from Adrian Hernandez, and another collection from Philippe Voisin.

Adrian Hernandez is the one who originated the classification system AND who runs the registry, so only "Adrian HD" Endlers can be officially papered and sold as "Class N". If you're in the US, it's easy enough to get a Class N Endler--some people have suggested AquaBid, but I am able to find both Class N and recognized strains of Class K hybrids at my LFSs (who specialize in livebearers, so I might be lucky there).

Philippe Voisin Endler are relatively new, and some (legitimate) concerns have been raised that they might not be pure Endler because of the native lagoon containing both wild guppies and introduced guppies. Formerly these were kept out of the Endler pockets by the brackish conditions, but with the various alterations and pollution from the Venezualian locals, the populations have shifted into overlapping territories. But Voisin himself has done as well as he can to maintain the purity of his Endlers and the strains found naturally in the various collection points. If you're in Europe you can buy directly from him, although his collection only offers limited sales, and not all of his strains are available. But you also might be able to find Voisin Endlers available from third parties in directly traceable lines. Marty's (formally Orchid Endler) site is invaluable for learning about these things:  . @emeraldking is also in the process of revamping his website, but in it's current state it is also worth a visit:  

Me, I'm interested in them for their natural variability, although I fell in love with Chili Endlers ( ), especially the blonde morph. These are Class K, but I'm not bothered by that :D Less paperwork and hassle. At SOME point I'm hoping to set up a brackish water aquarium (I want it to be over 300 gallons though, so... probably not for a few years given how much the husband is digging in his feet over my 37g setup >_>), and then I'll bother to get pedigreed Endler and try to maintain a wild-looking strain. Given Dr. Endler's own research into guppy populations and the need for predation to KEEP them looking 'wild'...I'm going to experiment :D :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    Chillin

i was doing some digging and just to see you point out out some the same sites and info just helps solidify what to look for heh
    im sure there is a few things missing but that will come later
    currently i hand cough wild mosquitofish yesterday, read after they can cross with guppies and endlers, i am going to try the guppies tho..
    needed some females anyways for the guys heh
    also discovered least killifish, might change directions....
    but i think they be okay together with out crossing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice