Where To Get Cool Looking Decorations?

AceFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys get your cool tank decor, I'm fairly new and my tank is all set up and I'm pretty sure I've spent hundreds of dollars on supplies but my decor just isn't that cool. Where do you get all those cool like tree root-looking things and cool rocks ****

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

AceFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
And of course amazon. Can we see your tank? I bet it looks wonderful.
Well I haven't done any real aquascaping yet, just the ordinary beginners tank with some plants and stuff but thanks for the advice.

Sorry for bad quality, I've never been that good at taking pictures lol
(betta is only in there temporarily for my sis, they're doing fine)
Snapchat-1679531336.jpg

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A piece of spider wood would look amazing in there but my hurt your betas fins, he may appreciate some live plans or other things to swim through, betas like alot of stimulation

Second thought....buy some pathos and put that in...will look amazing and give him something to explore, pathos grow outside the tank with only the roots in the water

AceFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Second thought....buy some pathos and put that in...will look amazing and give him something to explore, pathos grow outside the tank with only the roots in the water
I've been thinking about that and I don't think I'm gonna buy any live plants, just fake ones since I've heard live ones are kinda hard to take care of and taking care of this stock is already hard enough for me since it's my first one. But yeah I'll keep the spiderwood in mind and keep shopping for stuff. Maybe I'll post updates on my tank too.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about that and I don't think I'm gonna buy any live plants, just fake ones since I've heard live ones are kinda hard to take care of and taking care of this stock is already hard enough for me since it's my first one. But yeah I'll keep the spiderwood in mind and keep shopping for stuff. Maybe I'll post updates on my tank too.
Ive killed every dry plant ever. Aloe, cactus air plants... you name it.

I bought water wisteria for the tank, expected to kill that too. Its actually thriving! There are plants that need next to no care.

Water wisteria
Hornwort
Anubias

These are some super easy ones. Hornwort floats. It may shed its leaves at first but itll grow back. No roots and it makes for a pretty good hiding place. You can wrap it around driftwood or under a rock to anchor it too.

Water wisteria can be floated or anchored i prefer it anchored because its stems, but its a pretty stable and pretty plant too. I think it would look good in your tank as well with the decor you already have.

Anubias i havent gotten myself but ive been recommended it from the people here. You can tie it to a piece of driftwood. It doesnt need to be planted into anything.

Of course these plants can benefit from fertilizers or special lighting, theyre not needed. I only use the basic led hood tights from a top fin and the water wisteria has grown very well already.

(Though, i agree, getting into live plants is almost scarier than getting into live fish )

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive killed every dry plant ever. Aloe, cactus air plants... you name it.

I bought water wisteria for the tank, expected to kill that too. Its actually thriving! There are plants that need next to no care.

Water wisteria
Hornwort
Anubias

These are some super easy ones. Hornwort floats. It may shed its leaves at first but itll grow back. No roots and it makes for a pretty good hiding place. You can wrap it around driftwood or under a rock to anchor it too.

Water wisteria can be floated or anchored i prefer it anchored because its stems, but its a pretty stable and pretty plant too. I think it would look good in your tank as well with the decor you already have.

Anubias i havent gotten myself but ive been recommended it from the people here. You can tie it to a piece of driftwood. It doesnt need to be planted into anything.

Of course these plants can benefit from fertilizers or special lighting, theyre not needed. I only use the basic led hood tights from a top fin and the water wisteria has grown very well already.

(Though, i agree, getting into live plants is almost scarier than getting into live fish )
My water wisteria all died within a week of putting in my aquarium, just "rotted" away after losing all the leaves. Made a mess. I think I have like 2 stems that constantly struggle.
I have anubias and they're very hardy. My anubias nana petite was in the mail for a month and is the only surviving plant from that order. Had no leaves and the rhizome snapped in half, but survived! Sure, it's been nearly 5 months and it looks like it only just sprouted with its tiny leaves and little root system, but hey, it's ALIVE!

RockinRy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My water wisteria all died within a week of putting in my aquarium, just "rotted" away after losing all the leaves. Made a mess. I think I have like 2 stems that constantly struggle.
I have anubias and they're very hardy. My anubias nana petite was in the mail for a month and is the only surviving plant from that order. Had no leaves and the rhizome snapped in half, but survived! Sure, it's been nearly 5 months and it looks like it only just sprouted with its tiny leaves and little root system, but hey, it's ALIVE!
I had the same thing happened to my wisteria. It looked great and even started shooting out new stems and then all of a sudden the roots rotted and one stem at a time would pop off. I have a couple floating now and I am hoping to salvage it, but not sure if it is going to make it. I also have some anubias and as long as you attach it and don't try to bury the rhizome they are pretty easy from my experience.

AceFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happened to my wisteria. It looked great and even started shooting out new stems and then all of a sudden the roots rotted and one stem at a time would pop off. I have a couple floating now and I am hoping to salvage it, but not sure if it is going to make it. I also have some anubias and as long as you attach it and don't try to bury the rhizome they are pretty easy from my experience.
Wow nice dude but I still don't know if I'm gonna buy any live plants. But I did but a few things on Amazon and I'll post a picture in a few days when I get them.

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow nice dude but I still don't know if I'm gonna buy any live plants. But I did but a few things on Amazon and I'll post a picture in a few days when I get them.
Live plants make the best decorations and eat up nitrates too while they're at it. Planted tanks might appear like they have to be a lot of work for beginners but it doesn't need to be. If you're not looking for a challenge, stuff like water wisteria will grow quite easily whether floating or rooted, great beginner plant, Amazon frogbit would be another easy one that soaks a ton of nitrates, easy to grow and even easier to keep in check, just grab a handful and either throw it out or give/sell it to local keepers. Java fern and anubias tied to a piece of wood or rock is another easy option that looks great.

AceFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Live plants make the best decorations and eat up nitrates too while they're at it. Planted tanks might appear like they have to be a lot of work for beginners but it doesn't need to be. If you're not looking for a challenge, stuff like water wisteria will grow quite easily whether floating or rooted, great beginner plant, Amazon frogbit would be another easy one that soaks a ton of nitrates, easy to grow and even easier to keep in check, just grab a handful and either throw it out or give/sell it to local keepers. Java fern and anubias tied to a piece of wood or rock is another easy option that looks great.
Okay i might get some Amazon frogbit soon if I can.

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As a kid I did green plastic plants in unicorn vomit. Then day glow plants came out and my tank became even more garish and retina scorching.
After that I got a 55 and filled it with african cichlids. All natty decor pea gravel, rocks, and a piece of drift wood from the LFS that I had wanted for years (you should never have drift wood in your Malawian tank).
When I got back into fish after getting a house it was ecocomplete and live plants. Then white sand in tanks. then the playground sand experiment (sorry tester feeder ghost shrimp and 4 foot amazon sword, after years of ecocomplete I forgot you should wash playground sand/your substrate).
Lots of people run a clean bottom for maintenance but I can't ever see myself doing that. From here on out I will be playground sand or pool filter sand (unless I get back into huge SA cichlids that will enjoy moving around river rock).

Just because everyone runs natty tanks doesn't mean you have to.
I'd like to do a surreal tank with kitchen tile on the bottom, and a dish rack full of ceramic plates and cups and such as decor.
I'd like to do a "you are a bad person and you should feel bad" tank with a bunch of ken dolls dressed as mobsters with their hands tied behind their back and their feet concreted (fake) into little pails as decor.
Long ago I wanted to do a "You are a monster!" tank with floronert and hamsters/guinea pigs and fish together. I figured the high O2 levels would kill the fish so I never tried. Lead booties on the hamsters/guinea pigs also seems cruel (even if I made them look like Adidas), and you'd have to drain them so they could eat every day.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom