Where to find styrofoam for 3D background? 120 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by bassbonediva, Nov 27, 2012.

1. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Ok, so I "inherited" what I originally thought was a 90 gallon tank and stand from my boyfriend's brother's renters (they got evicted and left the tank). Turns out that it's more than likely a 120 gallon! We haven't officially measured it yet, but I know for sure it's four-feet long and my boyfriend and I (who are both pretty good at eyeballing measurements) are pretty sure it's 24" wide and 25" deep...which would make it a 120 gallon. This makes me extremely happy, because it's a big tank, but it'll still fit in the space we have for it.

Anyway, I'm going to do this tank right, no halfway like I've done in the past. One of the things I've been wanting to try is a 3D DIY background. I have seen how to do it, but I'm having a problem finding the stryofoam. Any ideas on where to get styrofoam for a project like this?

2. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Home depot and lowes both have styrofoam sheeting in 4x8 panels. They are around $10-12 each.

3. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Is that something new? Last time I went in search of styrofoam panels (such as you described), I got looks like I was completely off my rocker, even at Lowes and Home Depot. Granted, this was a few years ago...

4. jetajockey

Lol. It's not super new, I've been using the same styrofoam paneling to package plant and fish packages for shipping for several years now.

It's in the insulation section usually near the rolls of the big fluffy pink stuff. Here's a vid of a DIY 3d background I did on a 29g a couple of months ago.
    [video=youtube;ES4ju0q4-Uc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES4ju0q4-Uc&list=UUgnuPdE0L2PWTNxdKXLOqaw&index=3&feature=plcp[/video]

5. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

That is awesome! I'm not sure exactly what kind of design I want to do. I was almost thinking of making it look like ship planking, because our living room (where the tank is going) is decorated with ships (ship models, paintings/pictures of ships, leather, dark woods, etc).

6. jetajockey

That would be cool and relatively easy to do. Accents on the planks with paint will really make it stand out.

7. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

That's what I'm thinking. It would also mean that the background wouldn't have to be that thick...not that it's an issue in this tank, as it's 24" from front to back. Lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice