Where to find stocking threads

1. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Im using mobile and having trouble finding the stocking threads. I thought there was like a master post for stocking options but i cant remember where i found it at and the search isn't yielding the result.

Im just thinking ahead for 10 gallon ideas. Currently keeping a male betta in there but would like to figure out whats next, on the inevitable chance he passes away whether its next week or 5 years from now. This a a childs tank so anything nano, just tiny little fish she will enjoy looking at.

Im also looking for 30 gallon stock because I'm incredibly indecisive and cant choose between betta sorority with oto, or dwarf cichlids (pseudotropheus saulosi). I saw someones 55 gallon with these cichlid and i had been interested in kenyi previously, but these are more vibrant, smaller, and less aggressive (i think thats what i read).

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

4. TexasDomer

Some are. Those aren't, as far as I'm aware. LeoDiaz can confirm.

5. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Min tank size for dwarf mbunas is 40g but even for dwarfs I recommend a 55g because saulosi get pretty big once full grown

6. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Any other dwarfs that the male and female turn different colors, that arent brown.

My cichild dreams have been getting shot down for a while now lol. And i already committed to changing the 55 into the community tank and the 30 needs a stock.

Thanks for sharing the 10 gallon list ill have my daughter google them to see their appearance and care requirements.

7. TexasDomer

Apistos have differently colored males and females.

8. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Cockatoo?

9. TexasDomer

A M/F pair would be fine in a 30 gal. They would appreciate some dither fish above them to make them feel more comfortable.

10. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Like nano schools?

11. TexasDomer

They don't have to be traditional nano fish. Any mid/top dwelling schooling fish that is appropriate for that tank size and compatible with the Apistos will work.

12. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

could i have a betta sorority with a pair of cockatoos?

13. TexasDomer

No. Betta sororities should be by themselves.

14. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Ok, ive seen oto with betta sorority is that a bad idea too?

15. TexasDomer

Otos and bettas aren't temp compatible, and bettas can easily attack otos. I wouldn't do it.

16. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I have to agree with Texas. I have ghost shrimp in my sorority, the girls will form a pack and hunt one down. I would hate to think of what they would do to other fish. Sororities are best kept to themselves, although some recommend otherwise. You can keep a sorority with some inverts(as long as you don't mind some disappearing;))

17. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

So far mystery snails fare well with my male betta. But they leave a gross trail some times. i have 4 and i don't want any more because they also poop a lot. Especially right after i clean the tank really good.

[​IMG] excuse the mating snails. That black one is always after the MALE ivory snail. I added 2 more but he only likes the ivory snail so after he lets go im going to put ivory in with my betta.

Anyways after i move these fish to the 55, im going to probably keep the decor as is and add some more plants in the back corners and maybe try to carpet to foreground with moss. Is driftwood ok for the sorority? Plants i have are bacopa and marimo balls. Some bacopa is floating but i have it in the breeder net with my 3 rcs while i get their own tank set up. I can completely rescape if my set up is questionable lol. But if its good as is im leaving it.

18. Flowingfins

I would get something to fill up the top of the tank, here's mine to give you an idea.
    [​IMG]
    Make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces, I need get more plants.
    The more plants, wood, rocks, and such you put in there, the better off you'll be.

19. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Yea my bacopa is like 6ish inches right now but it's supposed to get around 12 according to the label. I want more driftwood and ill probably remove the caves to make room. I'm going to finish building before I add fish. What kind of wood is that?

20. Flowingfins

It's seagrape wood I got from the beach.