Where To Find Slate/rocks

1. ajoyfulbettta

ajoyfulbettta Valued Member Member

i've been looking everywhere to find stone/slate like this!!! looking for a cheap price too, i need very little, just to do a little separating of substrate, please share with me on where you got yours, or where i can find some for a decent price!
    View attachment 449312

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

My LFS sells all sorts of rock

3. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

couldn't find any at any of mine, i need just small pieces for a 10g :(

4. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

You can probably find some online. I don't have any suggestions since I get all my rock from the LFS.

5. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

If you’re in Canada, big als sells it

6. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

I can’t get the attachment to open. Can you post another picture? I have slate and could mail you some (depending on size).

7. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

i'm in us

Image1529728850.289832.jpg

here are some, just maybe 1-4 inch a piece i'm so confused on why it's so hard to find around here!

and sorry about it being a screenshot, every time i cropped it, it showed up as unavailable! and they can't be sharp either, which is what i'm finding a lot of, poor bettas would be tore in a few minutes

8. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I think landscaping places/sections like home depot or lowe's might carry it

9. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Was about to say what @-Mak- said!

That would be the cheapest way. The only problem is that most usually sell in bulk.

10. sloughdog

I will send some pics for you and if you want them I can stuff a $7.20 box full. Just pay shipping.

Also from that picture, it looks like they lightly chipped the sharp edges off. Slate breaks/chips easily so if there is a sharp edge, just break it off. I just hammer the sharp edge into another rock to make the edge blunt/soft.

11. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

finally found some outside! can i use outside rocks if i boil them?

12. sloughdog

You sure can but do a vinegar test to be sure. I wouldn’t boil the rocks as they can explode. You can pour the boiling water over the rocks to clean them.

13. mbkatz

mbkatz New Member Member

Yes! I have used sea shells in my freshwater tanks after boiling for a good bit. No problems in my tank even after a few years!

14. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

ok, how do i do that? the vinegar test? also the rocks will be going in before cycling and then in for the whole 2-8 weeks, idk if that matters at all!

15. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

yes, you can. you could also do a diluted bleach dip.
    i was looking into some on amazon that weren't too expensive.

edit: wow ok dont boil them then, you probably dont want exploding rocks lol

16. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

how would i do the bleach dip?

definitely share the link! i had such a hard time finishing some, and then now when i'm out traveling in the middle of PA, i stumble upon some!

17. sloughdog

Just pour some white vinegar on the rock and if it doesn’t fizz, the rock is safe to use.

18. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

ok thanks!

19. sloughdog

I’m in PA...the state is full of slate!

20. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

For sure! I'm at a festival, and i look at the rocks we are walking on, almost perfect for my tank! i follow the trail into a giant pile of those, and larger slates! the larger ones are very sharp, and kinda a brown color, the other smaller, more rectangle flat rocks are the color i was looking for, and perfect size, and not too sharp! i hope they won't mind me borrowing a few cups