Where To Find Slate/rocks

ajoyfulbettta
i've been looking everywhere to find stone/slate like this!!! looking for a cheap price too, I need very little, just to do a little separating of substrate, please share with me on where you got yours, or where I can find some for a decent price!

penguin02
My LFS sells all sorts of rock

ajoyfulbettta
My LFS sells all sorts of rock

couldn't find any at any of mine, I need just small pieces for a 10 gallon

penguin02
You can probably find some online. I don't have any suggestions since I get all my rock from the LFS.

Buganjimo
If you’re in Canada, big als sells it

sloughdog
I can’t get the attachment to open. Can you post another picture? I have slate and could mail you some (depending on size).

ajoyfulbettta
If you’re in Canada, big als sells it

i'm in us

I can’t get the attachment to open. Can you post another picture? I have slate and could mail you some (depending on size).

Image1529728850.289832.jpg

here are some, just maybe 1-4 inch a piece i'm so confused on why it's so hard to find around here!

Image1529728850.289832.jpg
Image1529728856.306610.jpg

here are some, just maybe 1-4 inch a piece i'm so confused on why it's so hard to find around here!

and sorry about it being a screenshot, every time I cropped it, it showed up as unavailable! and they can't be sharp either, which is what i'm finding a lot of, poor bettas would be tore in a few minutes

-Mak-
I think landscaping places/sections like home depot or lowe's might carry it

75g Discus Tank
Was about to say what -Mak- said!

That would be the cheapest way. The only problem is that most usually sell in bulk.

sloughdog
I will send some pics for you and if you want them I can stuff a $7.20 box full. Just pay shipping.

Also from that picture, it looks like they lightly chipped the sharp edges off. Slate breaks/chips easily so if there is a sharp edge, just break it off. I just hammer the sharp edge into another rock to make the edge blunt/soft.

ajoyfulbettta
finally found some outside! can I use outside rocks if I boil them?

sloughdog
You sure can but do a vinegar test to be sure. I wouldn’t boil the rocks as they can explode. You can pour the boiling water over the rocks to clean them.

mbkatz

Yes! I have used sea shells in my freshwater tanks after boiling for a good bit. No problems in my tank even after a few years!

ajoyfulbettta
You sure can but do a vinegar test to be sure. I wouldn’t boil the rocks as they can explode. You can pour the boiling water over the rocks to clean them.

ok, how do I do that? the vinegar test? also the rocks will be going in before cycling and then in for the whole 2-8 weeks, idk if that matters at all!

midna

yes, you can. you could also do a diluted bleach dip.
I was looking into some on amazon that weren't too expensive.

edit: wow ok don't boil them then, you probably don't want exploding rocks lol

ajoyfulbettta
yes, you can. you could also do a diluted bleach dip.
I was looking into some on amazon that weren't too expensive.

how would I do the bleach dip?

definitely share the link! I had such a hard time finishing some, and then now when i'm out traveling in the middle of PA, I stumble upon some!

sloughdog
Just pour some white vinegar on the rock and if it doesn’t fizz, the rock is safe to use.

ajoyfulbettta
Just pour some white vinegar on the rock and if it doesn’t fizz, the rock is safe to use.

ok thanks!

sloughdog
I’m in PA...the state is full of slate!

ajoyfulbettta
I’m in PA...the state is full of slate!

For sure! I'm at a festival, and I look at the rocks we are walking on, almost perfect for my tank! I follow the trail into a giant pile of those, and larger slates! the larger ones are very sharp, and kinda a brown color, the other smaller, more rectangle flat rocks are the color I was looking for, and perfect size, and not too sharp! I hope they won't mind me borrowing a few cups

midna
you can do like, 1 part pure chlorine bleach to 19 parts water, and let them soak for maybe 30 minutes? then take them out, rinse (and maybe scrub) like crazy, and let them soak in dechlorinated water for a few hours or a day (use seachem prime and dose at least twice the required amount for however much water you're using). probably want to air or sun dry for a day or two for good measure. i'm sure other people don't take as many precautions, but i'm paranoid lol.

I was looking at to build a cave, or . but now they're no longer available. just use whatever slate you found, it's free. or if you find a fish store or petco that sells slate for cheap.

Chillin
tho there are plastics and metals in the glass and filters, ect....

ajoyfulbettta
you can do like, 1 part pure chlorine bleach to 19 parts water, and let them soak for maybe 30 minutes? then take them out, rinse (and maybe scrub) like crazy, and let them soak in dechlorinated water for a few hours or a day (use seachem prime and dose at least twice the required amount for however much water you're using). probably want to air or sun dry for a day or two for good measure. i'm sure other people don't take as many precautions, but i'm paranoid lol.

I was looking at to build a cave, or . but now they're no longer available. just use whatever slate you found, it's free. or if you find a fish store or petco that sells slate for cheap.

haha yes, I am definitely using the ones I found! and i'm surprised I didn't see those when I was searching! I do like more of a rough look tho! and thanks!

-Mak-
You can probably boil, I doubt slate has air pockets in it. If you want to be super safe maybe bake it instead, so in the highly unlikely event of exploding, it'll be inside an oven.

Also no need to do a vinegar test, all the vinegar test tells you is if the rock has calcium carbonate in it (raises KH and ph), which slate does not. Unless you have reason to suspect what you found is not actually slate

ajoyfulbettta
You can probably boil, I doubt slate has air pockets in it. If you want to be super safe maybe bake it instead, so in the highly unlikely event of exploding, it'll be inside an oven.

Also no need to do a vinegar test, all the vinegar test tells you is if the rock has calcium carbonate in it (raises KH and ph), which slate does not. Unless you have reason to suspect what you found is not actually slate

it might not be slate, oops! I'll send pics!

it might not be slate, oops! I'll send pics!

IMG_3995.JPG
IMG_3991.JPG

AJ6817
Not sure if that's slate, but it would definitely look amazing in a tank. Make sure its cleaned up and ready to go, don't want your fishies suffering for some aesthetics.

ajoyfulbettta
Not sure if that's slate, but it would definitely look amazing in a tank. Make sure its cleaned up and ready to go, don't want your fishies suffering for some aesthetics.

I know right! I found actual slate but it was very sharp and not as silver as this, and this was right next to it. but I definitely want it to be safe!

Chillin
sink it in a cup of vinegar watch for bubbles
they do look like some nice rocks tho
I'm about to add some coquina to mine possibly

sloughdog
Looks like shale to me. The white line in it could be limestone or quartz. Limestone will fizz for sure. Limestone can act as a buffer though and raise pH in more acid waters.

ajoyfulbettta
Looks like shale to me. The white line in it could be limestone or quartz. Limestone will fizz for sure. Limestone can act as a buffer though and raise pH in more acid waters.

just did the vinegar test, looks like it fizzes
IMG_4331.JPG

Chillin
fizz = not so safe

ajoyfulbettta
i'm running an experiment, have two bowls of treated tap water and i'm going to test ph in a few hours, but I don't have anything to test kh I think is what else effects it

Chillin
its not the PH that will change, its the alkalinity that you are testing for with the vinegar.
higher metals like lead and iron can and more than likely will poison the water and your filter
tho trace minerals are also found in such rocks that are healthy to plants and what not
should really do a test on how fast the kh changes from day to day
also experiment on the changes with water changes, water flow, water filtration, ect

beick
I bought my slate off Amazon. The company that "makes it" is called "Small World Slate and Stone". You buy it buy the pound and you can buy it in different sizes. The bigger the pieces though the more it costs per pound(See link). You can also just search "Natural Slate" on Amazon.

Trish D
Just went to a landscaping place and got slate for 50 cents a pound (Canadian). My local aquarium store (big Als) was 6 times the price. Of course I will need to prep the rock, but well worth it!
i've been looking everywhere to find stone/slate like this!!! looking for a cheap price too, I need very little, just to do a little separating of substrate, please share with me on where you got yours, or where I can find some for a decent price!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mrjohn
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
Hikari
Replies
Views