Where to find large wood

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Flowergarden129, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Flowergarden129New MemberMember

Does anybody know a way to get really gigantic pieces of driftwood, if you don't have access to a pond or stream to collect it yourself? I'm building a turtle pond, so I need places for my turtle to climb out and bask. The pond will be about two feet deep, so I need pieces that extend above that level of water. Thoughts?

2. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

Are you ever close to the ocean? Big pieces drift up on shore sometimes at high tide. Just be sure to soak it a long time to get the salt out of it - I soak mine from the ocean for about a month, changing water every few days. You can use a big RubberMaid or a barrel.

3. OP
    OP
    F

Flowergarden129New MemberMember

Yea, I live in NYC so there are plenty of beaches. There's a lot of competition for beachcombing, though. I guess I was worried about the salt. You've done it and it works ok?

4. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

Yes I have. All but one of my pieces came from saltwater beaches. Just soak it for at least a month changing the water regularly.

5. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to the forum. Alison

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice