Where to find cheap wood?

1. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Hello, I absolutely love a natural tank and would love to have some wood in mine. But for a very small piece of driftwood it's around 20... So my question is, where do I fine cheap wood, it doesn't matter what type, just so long as it's aquarium safe. Also where do I find cheap rocks(large rocks, it could be like sheet rocks)?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

The best price I've found for mopani driftwood is Amazon. The best price for small, twisty rootwood was on eBay from a vendor out of Hong Kong. It took a few weeks, but I was pleased with the result.

3. a

angelfishguppie Valued Member Member

I've bought two mopani pieces listed as "small" for between $8-12 at petco. I have them placed vertically in my tank and the longest dimension is 10-12 inches. I'm not sure what you are looking for, nor how big your tank might be so maybe this is too small for your needs.

I am not brave enough to buy it on amazon, let alone ebay but I'm sure there are some good deals out there.

4. OP
    OP
    Platylover

Thank you! I'm good with any size really, but I'd a bigger piece so I can take out my fake rock decor. It's a 65g tank, don't know the exact measurements though...[​IMG]
    *note I have some stocking issues, but am working to fix them.:)

5. vivelafish

vivelafish Valued Member Member

I love driftwood! Dr. Fosters & Smith has some great pieces, but the downside is that you don't get to pick them... a lot of users on here sell driftwood pieces as well and they're usually willing to take pics for you! I bought some of mine from cichlidman and they were great!

I also would recommend this site:

http://manzanita-driftwood.com/Manzanita.html

For what you're getting and the size, etc. I think it's reasonably priced!

6. OP
    OP
    Platylover

Thank you! That place looks great! And a few of the pieces I like are only $25 compared to a 100(it's seriously ridiculous at my LFS how much they charge). I will definitely look into them...:)

7. katiemorrison94

katiemorrison94 Valued Member Member

I order a medium size piece in my 60 gallon tank for $25 plus shipping from manzanita driftwood.com I think they are really well priced and its good quality wood

8. OP
    OP
    Platylover

I looked them up and it said their domain is for sale, they didn't have anything that I saw for sale. Maybe I looked at the wrong one?
    Wait wrong one... I thought you where taking about driftwood.com... Thanks! I think I'll buy from there when I get driftwood... Have you tried their rocks?

9. Big Red

Big Red Well Known Member Member

I bet mine at reptile shows got a massive 3 ft by 8 in by 6 in java wood for 35 bucks brand new. Doesnt release near as much tannis as mopani

10. OP
    OP
    Platylover

I was wondering if the reptile wood would work... I saw that it was way cheaper than the regular driftwood. I cant believe you got such a big piece, do you have it in a tank? That's amazing, I'll have to keep an eye out...

11. katiemorrison94

katiemorrison94 Valued Member Member

Ive never bought anything else from them besides my one piece of driftwood. Mine didnt leak tannins or anything in my water. I didnt even boil it, i just rinsed it and dropped it in. It took about 3-4 days to sink fully.

12. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Go outside and find some lol. Any old weathered wood that's not soft is good. All my tanks have wood in them and I've never bought a single piece. Best places to look are along creeks and lake shores.

13. OP
    OP
    Platylover

I do have a lot near me, but they aren't in water. I'm also afraid they've been sprayed with pesticide and they aren't all that old... Maybe I'll go look around a lake.

14. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

As long as they are dry and have no bark they will be fine. Scrub them and boil them and they should be fine or just leave them out in the sun for a bit. You will get a lot of tannins from fresh pieces like that however.

15. OP
    OP
    Platylover

Yeah, I think I'd rather just purchase some, don't want to risk anything. Thanks for the idea though, maybe I'll try it some day.:)

16. Big Red

Screenshot_2016-07-09-20-28-25.png This is the piece I bought last week. Java wood.

17. OP
    OP
    Platylover

I like that, it's gorgeous. Is this the one you where talking about? I really like it, I'll definitely keep my eyes out for some deals.

18. Big Red

Thanks