Where to buy slate rock/stone

mcsquizzy928

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
before i make the trip to home depot or lowes, can anyone tell me if they have slate rock (doesn't matter if its aqaurium safe cause i can seal it with sealant/epoxy so dont lecture me about it plz.
you know the flat kind of rock used for ponds and stuff?

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got mine from the LFS. Can't remember the pricing exactly...possibly $1.99 per pound?

mcsquizzy928

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh ya local fish store (duh) so u mean like petco, and petsmart

thank you for replying so fast btw

Good morning, I've merged your posts as they were back to back with no response between. This helps to save a little space on the forum.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, local fish store. The store I went to was actually a locally owned store, not a chain. I'm not sure about chains -- if they have slate by the pound at my local Petco, I don't know where it is.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh, hahaha, The Wet Spot, they put up their fish all the time on Aquabid. Catchy name, to say the least.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

If you have a rock quarry in your area, it may be cheaper or possibly even free if they have some scrap pieces.

Ken

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what about places that sell flooring (like tiles etc), or stone masons may have off-cuts they don't need.

LifeSAbeach

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got mine from a garden supply center when they calculate the rate by the tonne, and was dirt cheap - no sealing required in my case. Just a good scrub to bring out the colour.

mcsquizzy928

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got back from the world of wet pets (great store, ok customer service)
got a few rocks, just to start, gonna get silicone later and maore rocks and gravel
i came home to find than my peice of shale was very flaky on the sides when brushed with a tooth brush (duh duh dur). this isn;t good for my tank, but can i still put it in or will that cause problems. also, i want to break up the big rock pieces to smallish, ping pong ball width round pieces. Can i use a rock tumbler, if not, can i use sand paper, or a drummel or something... or am i screwed?

Attachments

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom