Where To Buy Geophagus?

1. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Where would you order your geophagus altifrons (if you were thinking of purchasing, of course): Tangled up in Cichlids (Jeff Rapps), Wetspot, Imperial Tropicals, or (somewhere else)?
    And, how many would you suggest for a 180?

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I would consider ordering them from LiveAquaria or Imperial Tropicals.

3. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

When I went to Wetspot in Portland they had some over there. I looked online the other day cause I was thinking of getting one for an empty 55g that I have and they were selling a 1.25" for $12.00. When I went to the store with my wife a few weeks ago they had some adult sizes for $60.00 but somebody already bought them (maybe it was you :)).

They just had some babies and we watched them put them in the mouth...

4. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

It wasn't me, :). Im still trying to figure out where to buy them. You are so lucky to be able to just go to Wetspot to look at them! The adults, were they altifrons?

5. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

We're talking Tapajos right? Yes they were greyish with red fins, much like what the internet shows. Beautiful fish.

6. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

This one looks really good from TUIC:
    geophagus sveni 1.5" 25.00 or 4 @ 22.00 ea. F1 Rio Parana juves of arguably the most impressive & showy earth eater

7. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't buy feeder fish from Liveaquaria. Heard too many horror stories.

TUIC usually has a few interesting species, and you can bet the ID on them is correct. Wetspot is pretty good, and has better prices, but they aren't as good with ID of their imports as Rapps. If you want tank raised fish, I'd go to Imperial Tropicals or Wetspot, they're usually better identified if they've been tank raised.

8. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Preferably I would like some wilds, like Rapps carries, such as the Sveni I posted above. But am really hesitant because I worry that my water may not be adequate for them. My Ph is around 7.6, but the mineral content is quite low. The Kh test I did a couple of weeks ago changed in one drop and the Gh in 3. What do you think? Would the ph just be too high to raise them (wilds) in my water?