Where to buy furan in the US?

wateriswet

Please help! I'm trying to find furan2, furan, nitrofurantoin, or similar for an infection that is resistant to erythromycin. I'm doing frequent, large water changes and have tried other meds like Pima fix, melafix, aquarium salt, and paraguard. I'm convinced I need the Kanaplex and furan combo to stop the deaths. But I can't find any version of furan for sale anywhere. Has anyone seen it for sale? Please post or message me links

I'm in the US and have access to PetSmart, Petco, Petland, and online stores.

Has anyone tried to bag of yellow powder from Wholesale Koi Farm?

FinalFins

I believe there is a brand called NFZ puffer that sells nitrofurazone. A quick google search also shows Hikari Bifuran is also the same thing , but I can't share any experience I have with any of these.

wateriswet

Thank you! I don't mean to be so helpless, but do you actually see the Hikari Bifuran for sale anywhere? I can find a product page for it on the Hikari website, but I can't find anyone with it in stock. If you have a link, could you please share it?

If I can't find anything else, I'll try NFZ solution. I'm a little hesitant because they'll often add buffers and preservatives to liquid solutions that might be okay for a mammal to use externally but might not be okay in a fish tank. But then again my fish don't exactly have a great life expectancy right now anyways..... If I go that route, I'll post results so others will know.

John58ford

If you can't find furan anywhere you could try keeping an eye out for jungle brand fungus clear, it's primary active is nitrofurazone. I used it once on an issue I couldn't clear with erythromycin/formalin/malachite green and to my surprise it worked well. The downfall to the jungle brand is you pay a bit more per gallon dosed vs furan2. The issue with furan2 is that api had to freeze production of the fish med due to high demand/low supply for nitrofurazone during the pandemic, don't know if they started back up yet(last I had seen an update was February of this year).

Nitrofurazone (wherever you source it) very well can clear up some stuff the others can't due to it's smaller molecular mass. It's one I try to keep tucked away though; It's very broad spectrum so I don't ever use it as a first defense.

I have no experience with the bag of yellow powder.

Good luck.
(The jungle product appears to be in stock at kens, and on Amazon, none of my local retailers list it on the shelf at this point)

wateriswet

If you can't find furan anywhere you could try keeping an eye out for jungle brand fungus clear, it's primary active is nitrofurazone. I used it once on an issue I couldn't clear with erythromycin/formalin/malachite green and to my surprise it worked well. The downfall to the jungle brand is you pay a bit more per gallon dosed vs furan2. The issue with furan2 is that api had to freeze production of the fish med due to high demand/low supply for nitrofurazone during the pandemic, don't know if they started back up yet(last I had seen an update was February of this year).

Nitrofurazone (wherever you source it) very well can clear up some stuff the others can't due to it's smaller molecular mass. It's one I try to keep tucked away though; It's very broad spectrum so I don't ever use it as a first defense.

I have no experience with the bag of yellow powder.

Good luck.
(The jungle product appears to be in stock at kens, and on Amazon, none of my local retailers list it on the shelf at this point)
Thank you!!! I am hesitant to break out antibiotics but feel like this is my last option vs watching everyone I've had for 3 years plus their babies die off vs euthanizing a whole tank. I've tried everything else I can think of and am pretty sure it's bacterial at this point. I hadn't thought to look at fungus clear because I need an antibiotic.... But it has the right ingredients and is in stock. Really appreciate the help!

DoubleDutch

May I ask why you are so convinced you need these antibiotics though other ones didn't help ?

John58ford

I hadn't thought to look at fungus clear because I need an antibiotic
I always thought that was odd too. One day I saw some at one of my local big box shops and read the ingredients out of curiosity. When I discovered it was an antibiotic, and better yet nitrofurazone, I figured it might be the best kept secret in fish meds. It's way expensive per gallon, and I'm not a huge fan of bubble tabs are my only hang ups with it. Make sure you pull any light colored cement decorations before you treat, I'm pretty sure I remember it having a color stain.

wateriswet

May I ask why you are so convinced you need these antibiotics though other ones didn't help ?
I wrote up most of this bad experience here. What I didn't update is that I tried raising the temperature because I'd heard that helped against parasites. Instead of helping, the deaths greatly accelerated, which led me to more googling and made me think bacteria because it replicates faster when warmer. Sick Corydoras, maybe bacterial? | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 527168

TLDR version is I think I have one of the slow strains of columaris and that my cories are most susceptible (pygmies, bronze, false julii). If it is columaris, then it's a gram negative anaerobic bacteria and won't be killed by gram positive antibiotics like erythromycin. From the little bit of literature I've found, it sounds like a combo of a furan and kanamycin is the best bet.

If you have a different diagnosis or treatment recommendation, let me know? It's been a really rough month in the hobby and I've had this mystery disease pop up one tank at a time in 4 of my 8 tanks. 3 of the 4 shared a siphon but I stopped using it as soon as I saw symptoms. I thought I'd prevented the spread to one of the shared siphon tanks but about 3 weeks later I started suddenly having all the adult fish die in there too. I'm terrified of this making it to the remaining tanks!

DoubleDutch

I ask myself if the assumption that it must be bacterial cause it "replicates" faster is automatically correct. warmer water also means less oxygen and a faster metabolism of fish / other parasites as well.

Columnaris is an opportunistic bacteria that makes fish sick when weakend by a certain cause. It doesn't have to get introduced but environmental issues can cause it to "flourish". Also you should see external signs on the fish.

So I think simply throw in (a mix) of antibiotics in cases like these isn't a good idea possibly resulting in resistant bacteria.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Joshaeus

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Vishaquatics has a nice write-up on how to get your plants to turn red or more colorful:
Guide To Getting Plants To Turn Red Or More Colorful

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom