Where To Buy Fish? Question

Discussion in 'Local Fish Stores' started by Irv, Apr 22, 2019.

1. IrvNew MemberMember

Hey Guys,

I'm setting out on my first tank venture and I was wondering if anyone had advice on where to purchase fish? I live in South eastern part Pennsylvania. All I really have nearby is petco and petsmart and a couple of small pet stores. I've heard some tough stuff about buying from big name pet stores. Was wondering if anyone has any insight or suggestions for reputable dealers online or in my area. Thanks in advance!

2. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ya you've heard right that you should mostly avoid Petco and Petsmart for live animals. Some of them have good staff who properly care for their fish, but most are just college students working a part time job who really don't know anything about fish or care for their well being.

I live in San Diego, and there's only 1 Petco in the entire city I'll get fish from.... Even then, it's a last resort. There are tons of fish stores in Philadelphia, can you go there? Just google "tropical fish stores" and a bunch will come up.

Really what you should look for in a fish store is:
    1. Not a single dead fish in the tanks
    2. No signs of disease or sick fish
    3. No vacation feeders in the tanks
    4. Individually filtered tanks
    5. Employees who know what they're talking about. Although a couple fish stores I go to that have very good, healthy fish have employees who don't know basic questions. You also won't be able to tell if an employee knows what they're talking about until you've been doing it a while or cross check what they say on the internet. Which reminds me, always do research online and don't trust what they say because they are salespeople like any other retail employees!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  3. Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

Welcome aboard! I'm in the same shoes as you are -- the only real stores I ever get to are Petsmart or Petco. I do most of my purchasing online. Aquatic Arts is my favorite source for live purchases.

4. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Purchasing fish via online IS good, however since it is livestock, the shipping cost can and will be quite expensive, so do keep that in mind! Moreover, Liveaquaria.com is good; decent variety as well...

5. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, forgot about Aquaticarts! Very good as well...

6. Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

I've never tried Liveaquaria... And SF is right -- the shipping can be VERY high but I reason it's still better than buying iffy stock.

7. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

PA has a lot of good clubs that you can go to their monthly auctions and buy much higher quality fish for a lot less than Petco or PetSmart.
    I you want nano fish look to Rachael O'Leary at  , but you will have to travel to get to pickup from her.

8. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Buy one at your LFS,(if they take good care of their fish) or buy one online, eBay.com, has a great selection of betta fish!!:):)

9. IrvNew MemberMember

Thanks a lot! Turns out the word "tropical" makes all the difference in the Google search. I found some places in Philly I will check out!

10. IrvNew MemberMember

Thanks I will definitely look into it.

11. IrvNew MemberMember

Thank you! I'm definitely gonna look into all the suggestions you guys are all giving me.

12. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

aquabid.com, the ebay for fish

13. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Lol ya. Just typing in "Fish Stores" will take you to butchers or fish markets.