Where To Buy Fish Online? - Page 3

SFGiantsGuy

Yeah, forgot about Aquaticarts! Very good as well...

Ohio Mark

I've never tried Liveaquaria... And SF is right -- the shipping can be VERY high but I reason it's still better than buying iffy stock.

Sarcasm Included

PA has a lot of good clubs that you can go to their monthly auctions and buy much higher quality fish for a lot less than Petco or PetSmart.
I you want nano fish look to Rachael O'Leary at , but you will have to travel to get to pickup from her.

PheonixKingZ

Buy one at your LFS,(if they take good care of their fish) or buy one online, eBay.com, has a great selection of betta fish!!

Irv

Ya you've heard right that you should mostly avoid Petco and Petsmart for live animals. Some of them have good staff who properly care for their fish, but most are just college students working a part time job who really don't know anything about fish or care for their well being.

I live in San Diego, and there's only 1 Petco in the entire city I'll get fish from.... Even then, it's a last resort. There are tons of fish stores in Philadelphia, can you go there? Just google "tropical fish stores" and a bunch will come up.

Really what you should look for in a fish store is:
1. Not a single dead fish in the tanks
2. No signs of disease for sick fish
3. No vacation feeders in the tanks
4. Individually filtered tanks
5. Employees who know what they're talking about. Although a couple fish stores I go to that have very good, healthy fish have employees who don't know basic questions. You also won't be able to tell if an employee knows what they're talking about until you've been doing it a while or cross check what they say on the internet. Which reminds me, always do research online and don't trust what they say because they are salespeople like any other retail employees!

Thanks a lot! Turns out the word "tropical" makes all the difference in the Google search. I found some places in Philly I will check out!

Welcome aboard! I'm in the same shoes as you are -- the only real stores I ever get to are Petsmart or Petco. I do most of my purchasing online. Aquatic Arts is my favorite source for live purchases.
Thanks I will definitely look into it.

PA has a lot of good clubs that you can go to their monthly auctions and buy much higher quality fish for a lot less than Petco or PetSmart.
I you want nano fish look to Rachael O'Leary at , but you will have to travel to get to pickup from her.
Thank you! I'm definitely gonna look into all the suggestions you guys are all giving me.

Sarcasm Included

aquabid.com, the ebay for fish

ystrout

Thanks a lot! Turns out the word "tropical" makes all the difference in the Google search. I found some places in Philly I will check out!
Lol ya. Just typing in "Fish Stores" will take you to butchers or fish markets.

Cole23

My aquarium will be here in two days, and then I have to set it up and cycle it. But I’ve been trying to figure out what fish I’m going to stock and where I’m going to buy them. My local fish store has a very small selection, and I’m not positive but I don’t think they can order fish for me. The next closest fish store that isn’t a petsmart or Petco is about an hour away. With all that being said I would prefer to just order my fish online, but I’ve been looking online for the past couple weeks and it seems like no one has anything in stock. I’ve checked Aquatic Arts, Live Aquaria, and a few other online stores and none of them seem to have many fish in stock. Does anyone know how long you typically have to wait for one of these stores to have fish you’re interested in stock? Also does anyone know of any online stores that typically have more fish in stock? Thanks!!

SM1199

What species are you looking for? You can find a wide range of sellers of the same species on eBay, and compare prices while you're at it. Just be completely sure to check that they have a long-standing and nearly 100% positive reputation (and this goes for any seller or website, not just eBay). Aquabid is also another option that has multiple sellers. I tend to stay away from the one-seller-only websites because their shipping rates tend to be higher, and if they're out of stock, you can't just click on the next link over to find the same species.

Good luck!

FishGirl115

I think Amazon actually has some live fish too. But I don't know if they'd have any rn

JettsPapa

Check Aqua Huna.

Cole23

What species are you looking for? You can find a wide range of sellers of the same species on eBay, and compare prices while you're at it. Just be completely sure to check that they have a long-standing and nearly 100% positive reputation (and this goes for any seller or website, not just eBay). Aquabid is also another option that has multiple sellers. I tend to stay away from the one-seller-only websites because their shipping rates tend to be higher, and if they're out of stock, you can't just click on the next link over to find the same species.

Good luck!

I haven’t completely made my mind up on exactly which fish I want yet because I have to cycle my tank first. But I think I’m mainly interested in honey gourami, Pygmy Cory’s, Amano and neocaridina shrimp, and small schooling fish like celestial pearl danio, ember tetras, chili rasbora, etc.

FinalFins

WetSpot

Deku-Cory

The Wet Spot, Imperial Tropicals, and TRiN's Fish are all highly regarded sellers. Live Aquaria, Aquatic Arts, and Aqua Huna are also good bets. There's a lot of great selection on eBay and Aquabid, but it's important to note that these sites are auction sites and thus your experience will vary depending on the seller. Usually if a seller has a lot of positive feedback from different users, they're good.

SM1199

I haven’t completely made my mind up on exactly which fish I want yet because I have to cycle my tank first. But I think I’m mainly interested in honey gourami, Pygmy Cory’s, Amano and neocaridina shrimp, and small schooling fish like celestial pearl danio, ember tetras, chili rasbora, etc.
I've seen just about all of those floating around on eBay before. Take a peek! I've bought from eBay sellers with no issues, so long as you look at their ratings.

FinalFins

LiveAquaria is owned by Petco, so personally I don't support them

RDcompton03

+1 on JettsPappa's,, Auqua-Huna

CaptainAquatics

Hi all! I typically don’t buy fish online however I am now because of COVID. Does anyone have and dotes to suggest that 1. Don’t have crazy shipping prices (under 15$ please!) and 2. Have a good selection? I have been looking at Aquahuna but I would like some other suggestions to. Thank you!

faydout

I’ve used Aqua Huna (20 lemon tetras), and Trin’s (4 keyhole cichlids) in the last month. Both orders came packaged beautifully, all fish from those orders are healthy, happy, active, eating, and vibrant so far. Both of those have flat rate shipping, on the cheap end as far as ordering fish online.

One thing to note, I wouldn’t say its make or break, but if possible, I’d try and order from someone on your side of the country. My order from Washington State to Colorado took 48 hours to get here, while my order from Ohio took 96 hours.

Another note... after having just bought some Kuhli’s at a LFS, I kinda regret not buying those from Aqua Huna also. I’ve lost 2 loaches so far out of 8, and pretty sure it was because of how the kid was digging them out of the gravel (crushed them). As weird as it sounds, I think I may start preferring to pay more for shipping to get fish online going forward.

CaptainAquatics

I’ve used Aqua Huna (20 lemon tetras), and Trin’s (4 keyhole cichlids) in the last month. Both orders came packaged beautifully, all fish from those orders are healthy, happy, active, eating, and vibrant so far. Both of those have flat rate shipping, on the cheap end as far as ordering fish online.

One thing to note, I wouldn’t say its make or break, but if possible, I’d try and order from someone on your side of the country. My order from Washington State to Colorado took 48 hours to get here, while my order from Ohio took 96 hours.

what is trims shipping cost?

faydout

It was right around $15, like Aqua Huna.

CaptainAquatics

It was right around $15, like Aqua Huna.

Does anyone have a coupon for Trins fish? If not it’s fine.

toeknee

Just be aware any shipping under $30 isn't going to be overnight it will be 2-3 day shipping typically with no guarantees of delivery in that time frame and no credit on dead on arrivals. With more expensive overnight shipping your order is guaranteed to arrive within 24 hours of shipping and sellers will give you money back if you have any dead fish on arrival.

On that note I have ordered fish many times with priority shipping instead of overnight. 2 out of 3 times it works out fine. I've had a couple occasions of packages being delayed and fish showing up dead.

If you wind up willing to pay $30 for shipping wetspottropicalfish.com is my fav to order from. They have a massive selection of fish and they've always shown up healthy and in good condition.

JettsPapa

Just a heads-up: if you'll go to Aquarium Co-op's page for live fish there's a discount code to get 5% off your purchase from Aqua Huna.

CaptainAquatics

Hi all! I ordered my fish Monday (The day I posted this) from your experience how long will they take to get here? Thanks!

JettsPapa

Hi all! I ordered my fish Monday (The day I posted this) from your experience how long will they take to get here? Thanks!

Where did you order them from? And they didn't give you an estimated arrival time?

CaptainAquatics

Where did you order them from? And they didn't give you an estimated arrival time?

Trins fish and no they didn't

kanzekatores

This was a really helpful thread; I'm looking into both AquaHuna and Trin's. Thanks everyone!

faydout

Trin's should have given you a tracking number in the email telling you your order shipped; that links to a USPS website that should let you can track the package.

JettsPapa

Trin's should have given you a tracking number in the email telling you your order shipped; that links to a USPS website that should let you can track the package.

I agree. I routinely get tracking numbers when getting packages from individuals. I find it difficult to believe that a commercial business doesn't do it.

faydout

I just ordered Keyhole cichlids from Trin's 2 weeks ago and that's where the tracking number was. I've also got orders coming in this week from Manzanita-driftwood (nerites) & Jacob's Aquarium (Buce, Broadleaf Sag, Crypt Lucens), and received pretty much the same form email from both companies. In fact, in Gmail, I don't even have to open the email, it offers to track package from the subject line.

CaptainAquatics

I didn’t receive one.... which is odd but when should I expect them. I have been doing a lot of fishing and want to make sure I’m here when it gets here.

JettsPapa

I didn’t receive one.... which is odd but when should I expect them. I have been doing a lot of fishing and want to make sure I’m here when it gets here.

I'd contact them and ask for a tracking number.

bobduhgeek

How did your purchase work out? Are you happy with your experience?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
JLDJ
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question
Replies