Where To Buy Fish Online?

YoungLloyd

Hi, I'm not new to owning fish but I want to know if anyone has good places to buy fish?? I usually purchase them from petsmart or petco but I was wondering if there are any good online sites where I can purchase freshwater fish?

HenyG

Welcome to fishlore, personally I don't buy my fish online but a lot of people use aquabid to buy bettas and other cool fish.

BigDomeDSM

Where I live there's quite a few aquarium stores actually. I do also shop at Petco/Petsmart too.

Crazyboutfish

Aquabid has been mentioned. The best place is to try to find a locally owned LFS because often the employees there will be more knowledgeable and they usually have better stock.

raptorsvt79

if you live so. cali..there is some very nice local fish stores..

jikojiko

Try finding Local Fish Stores becuz the workers there might be smarter and have more experience with fishes and different types... Also the good thing about LFS are that they will have more veriaties of different species of fish in the world... especially freshwater fishes..

Fonzie91

Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart. Their fish are always diseased and plagued with viruses and parasites. Best place is Petco and PetSmart. LFS are pretty risky at times too, just look at the tanks they got and see if they're clean or dirty. Just think of the tank if it were your tank, if you think it's dirty, don't buy the fish.

Captin P

HI Young, Welcome to the Forum. I am relatively new here too. As I understand it once you earn 50 points you may purchase fish from the b/s/t section of the forum from other members. I am waiting to get there myself. I asked the same question and got lots of good feed back about aquabid.

shewolfgeo

Aquabid is the best place. Or you can also get fish from members here or on other fish forums. They'll be a lot healthier compare to big chain stores.

Lucy

Welcome to FishLore!
There might be an aquarium club in your area. That's always a good place to meet people with the same interests and possibly purchase fish.

HI Young, Welcome to the Forum. I am relatively new here too. As I understand it once you earn 50 points you may purchase fish from the b/s/t section of the forum from other members. I am waiting to get there myself.

Welcome to FishLore!
50 posts, not points

Or you can also get fish from members here or on other fish forums.

Members must have 50 posts to b/s/t on the forum.
It doesn't take long to get there

Hendrix Fish

What area of calI are you in? I know San Fran has a ton of asian stores with big expensive fish, all very healthy for the most part. Your best bet is to find a local fish store in your area, go to google and search fish stores in xxxxx (your zip code) although i've never used aquabid I've heard it's good, but shipping is usually a lot. But I don't know how much a person charges for shipping on aquabid

Algae Hater

You can try Big Al's hahaha I love that place, they take care their fish and all the fish I got from them are healthy. Even though i'm in Canada, i'm sure you can find a Big Al's somewhere near where you live

MasonL14

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm asking here.

Where do you all get your fish? Does it differ per what kind of fish? Do you avoid stores like Walmart? Do you avoid pet stores like Petco and PetSmart? Only stick to fish-only stores? I'm curious.

OnTheFly

If you have a good locally owned store that is generally best. Petco vs Petsmart vs Wal-Mart depends on the staff at your local branch to some degree. They all get their fish from shakey high volume low quality sources though. Some of the online sources are very good IMO. Imperial Tropicals, Wetspot etc. Imperial's free shipping is attractive. They send larger fish than advertised when they can.

Meep fish88

is very good.
Petco, Petsmart, Walmart Bah

MasonL14

If you have a good locally owned store that is generally best. Petco vs Petsmart vs Wal-Mart depends on the staff at your local branch to some degree. They all get their fish from shakey high volume low quality sources though. Some of the online sources are very good IMO. Imperial Tropicals, Wetspot etc. Imperial's free shipping is attractive. They send larger fish than advertised when they can.

I hadn't even thought of buying fish online! Doesn't it cause them a lot of stress though?

OnTheFly

I hadn't even thought of buying fish online! Doesn't it cause them a lot of stress though?
It can if they are not packed properly. I've had exactly zero arrive dead, or get sick anytime soon after. I've had very good luck. I believe they attempt to send very healthy fish so they can avoid the customer service drama.

MasonL14

is very good.
Petco, Petsmart, Walmart Bah

Haha! I hate going to petsmart for other fish-related items because they put their poor Bettas right at the entrance ;(

MasonL14

It can if they are not packed properly. I've had exactly zero arrive dead, or get sick anytime soon after. I've had very good luck. I believe they attempt to send very healthy fish so they can avoid the customer service drama.

That's good to hear, I may give it a try soon depending on what happens with my 4 year betta.

MudSkipper

Check in your local area for a local-run fish store they will usually be better than any big box store.

goldface

I just go to LFS or big chains, like Petco. I never step foot in walmart. Have you seen the people who shop there?

bgclarke

I've been using an LFS, but have since found a locally owned store with excellent stick.

Fashooga

I go to a local LFS here that also sells online.

clk89

Locally I have a non chain fish only store I go to for some of my freshwater fish. The petco and petsmart near me don't usually have the healthiest fish, or rodent animals. Other then that I have bough healthy fish from ebay, wetspot, trinsfish, and aquatic arts for my shrimp and snails.

Discusluv

Three years ago I bought a clown pleco, bristle-nose pleco, cory cats, and some rummy nose at a nicer LFS. I bought them all together from the same location and added them all at once. I still have them. This puts you in a minI cycle, but I used Stability and daily water changes to keep levels down. I have done this frequently in my 30 years of fish-keeping, if you change water in high volumes daily, eventually the beneficial bacteria build at level needed to match bio-load. Miss one day, however, and your fish will sicken and/or die from rising ammonia. You either commit to the daily procedure or don't do this method. If I have a new tank, I always add all at once. If established tank, always quarantine before adding to display tank.
I would never by fish at the Big Box Stores like Petco, I like to support small local businesses ( I understand that some people have no choice, but online is the way to go if no local fish stores). I buy frequently online for discus, I have probably bought 12 over the last 15 years, none have died from shipping or acclimation issues.

clk89

Three years ago I bought a clown pleco, bristle-nose pleco, cory cats, and some rummy nose at a nicer LFS. I bought them all together from the same location and added them all at once. I still have them. This puts you in a minI cycle, but I used Stability and daily water changes to keep levels down. I have done this frequently in my 30 years of fish-keeping, if you change water in high volumes daily, eventually the beneficial bacteria build at level needed to match bio-load. Miss one day, however, and your fish will sicken and/or die from rising ammonia. You either commit to the daily procedure or don't do this method. If I have a new tank, I always add all at once. If established tank, always quarantine before adding to display tank.
I would never by fish at the Big Box Stores like Petco, I like to support small local businesses ( I understand that some people have no choice, but online is the way to go if no local fish stores). I buy frequently online for discus, I have probably bought 12 over the last 15 years, none have died from shipping or acclimation issues.

Your Discus are just so beautiful too.

lookijustneedhelp

shows and breeders anyone?

Discusluv

I go to a local LFS here that also sells online.
Lucky bum. Wetspot, right?

Discusluv

shows and breeders anyone?
I have been looking for a good breeder of discus locally, as yet haven't found one.

Discusluv

Locally I have a non chain fish only store I go to for some of my freshwater fish. The petco and petsmart near me don't usually have the healthiest fish, or rodent animals. Other then that I have bough healthy fish from ebay, wetspot, trinsfish, and aquatic arts for my shrimp and snails.
I haven't looked at Trinsfish, thanks for the tip.

tyguy7760

I do almost 100% online purchases now or private breeders/shippers. I don't like messing with fish stores at this point.

Websites like Trins Fish imperialtropicals.com aquabid.com tangledupincichlids cichlidsoftheamericas.com and the wet spot are all great sites. If you decide to use trinsfish I can save you a little bit with a coupon through IM.

Discusluv

Cichlids of the Americas, another one I haven't heard of, thanks tyguy7760

lookijustneedhelp

I do almost 100% online purchases now or private breeders/shippers. I don't like messing with fish stores at this point.

Websites like Trins Fish imperialtropicals aquabid tangledupincichlids cichlidsoftheamericas and the wet spot are all great sites. If you decide to use trinsfish I can save you a little bit with a coupon through IM.
why not stores? just curious

OnTheFly

why not stores? just curious
I know you weren't addressing me but I do online because I like high quality fish even if they cost me an extra dollar or two. Most of my local stock is poor. I put a lot of work into the hobby and it is nice to have healthy fish, and often from obviously better strains that are hard if not impossible to find locally.

Discusluv

I found another online source just recently az gardens. They had some nice looking stock, anyone ordered from them before?

Discusluv

I know you weren't addressing me but I do online because I like high quality fish even if they cost me an extra dollar or two. Most of my local stock is poor. I put a lot of work into the hobby and it is nice to have healthy fish, and often from obviously better strains that are hard if not impossible to find locally.
Exactly, the discus in the LFS are culls, they are what the breeders cull out from their stock for various reasons because of their low quality. When you buy high quality stock and you see the difference, it becomes very difficult to justify buying poor quality.

OnTheFly

Exactly, the discus in the LFS are culls, they are what the breeders cull out from their stock for various reasons because of their low quality. When you buy high quality stock and you see the difference, it becomes very difficult to justify buying poor quality.
Same with guppies. In most every LFS tank, mixed among the mutt guppies, I can clearly ID what was intended to be a high quality guppy from a famous strain, except it isn't.

tyguy7760

Mostly because the fish I'm interested in aren't commonly kept in my area. I'm fairly limited when it comes to physical LFS. I have one pretty good one but they don't keep a lot of the fish I'm interested in and their mark up is pretty ridiculous...but they are the only decent one in town so they can charge what they want. Then I have the typical petsmart petco stores

I also find that on average private dealers and online fish stores take better care of their fish opposed to the LFS who get a large quantity of their fish from large fish farms who don't do a lot of things well for their fish.

In the end, paying 15-20 on top of my order for shipping is a lot better than paying almost 10% state and local taxes, then hoping the stores have what I want in stock, dealing with half educated store employees, and buying a fish off of a hope and a prayer that it's not bringing home some weird disease. Once you find a store or private breeder/shipper that only sells healthy stock, and is well educated on the fish they sell, it's hard to go back to a LFS and pay the overhead on top of sub par fish.

Classic example with trins. About a year ago (maybe a little less) I bought 3 dojo loaches from them. They were putting them through the typical protocol (quarantine for a few days, not feeding them, etc) and one day, Rick at trins came in and noticed one of the gold fish from a neighboring tank had flopped over into the dojo quarantine tank mine were in. When he fished it out (still alive), noticed the slime coat was extra thick. He emailed me immediately and told me of the situation and asked if I'd be ok if he quarantined them for an extra week before sending them to me. He wanted to make sure everything was ok. That's quality fish care right there. In the end he actually sent me 4 and I still have 3 of them to this day (one escaped out of the back of the tank and fell behind it and I didn't find it for a few days)

ashenwelt

This is my order of where I will buy from:

1. Club purchases (San Diego Tropical Fish Society, San Diego Killifish Club, Southern California Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts) at meetings, individually or via mail with club members
2. LFS (I have 3 main stores)
3. Online
4. PetCo / PetSmart (has to be a NEED IT NOW)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
JLDJ
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question
Replies