Where To Buy Disease Free Dg

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,
I know it seems likely that there isn't, but does anyone know if there are smaller breeders selling iridovirus free DGg's? I've heard that most are Asian imports and most likely contaminated. What about domestically bred in the USA? I really like the one I have and he's my wife's favorite but I'm afraid he doesn't have long. Seems like it wouldn't be a good idea to just buy another one with just as much chance he is sick as well.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We all like to have disease free fish when we buy them but it's a toss of the dice when it comes to picking fish. Really you need to look at the fish and see if they are healthy. Do they go up to the window, will they come up to the surface when you raise your hands up to mimic feeding time, are they swimming...that's all you can do.

When you bring any new fish home it's up to you to figure out whether to QT the fish before placing it in the main tank. Some people treat the new fish with meds to make sure they're ok others wait and see what they poop out.

It's all up to the fish keeper to pick the right one.

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thanks, I will check my smaller local LFS's to see if they have local breeders.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think so far we are some what safe with local breeders. How ever it is a 50/50 on petstore fish nowadays....

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The good news is my DG still is hanging in there, seems to be getting stronger. Will just have to wait and see

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom