Where To Buy Corydoras Habrosus

1. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Would you mind telling me which species you own, and if you own or have owned more than one species, which is your favorite?

Pictures would be great too! I'm considering them for my 20 high since they'd be unlikely to harm any shrimp, as well as the fact that they are adorable. But I don't know which species to aim for.

I have time; probably won't get them until August or September. But curious what species everyone else has or prefers.

Thanks!

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Corydoras pygmaeus and habrosus are the easiest to find. Hastatus is a bit rarer. I have just kept pygameus so I cant talk much on which is my favorite. I think Pygmaeus is the best looking of the three tho.
    I dont know what your tank will consist on but I would get the finest sand you can get your hands on. They are so tiny that it is hard for them to dig like other cories would do unless the substrate is fine. I personally think dwarf corydoras arent exactly the best choice for the average aquarium but they can certainly be a good fish for nano communities.

Here is my experience with them:
    My preference with this fish is to keep them in species thanks to be honest. I am currently keeping them in a "normal tank" and I am starting to hate it. The light my Ammania Gracilis and Ludwigia sp Red need bothers them a lot and I dislike the substrate dept I have to keep plants rooted. Couple that with the fact that they dont live in places with much aquatic plants and Im starting to get itchy. I will be moving ASAP to the typical amazonic setup with very subdued light, fine sand (and a very small layer of it) as much driftwood as I can find and leaf litter. I will still keep some plants for water parameter purposes like Pothos and duckweed but Im not gonna go planted with them. Dont get me wrong tho, they can do well in planted tanks and "normal tanks" Im just crazy.
    Anyways, here are some photos.

3. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Thank you! Mine looks like this:

image.jpg

The little pathway in the middle has really, really fine sand, but the rest is a plant substrate somewhat like small gravel. I can definitely add leaf litter and more driftwood, but I do have plants.

I intend for this tank to just have shrimp, snails, and two types of small fish - was considering the dwarf corydoras and another small harmless fish that wouldn't pester the shrimp.

Do you think my tank would be okay for them or should I keep looking for a different species of bottom feeder?

4. Over It Well Known Member Member

I've had Pandas, Juli's and Peppered Corys. Peppered were my favorite cause they are a lot hardier than the other 2, but they also can get much larger.
    Between the Pandas and Juli's the Juli's were my fav. The Pandas were very shy compared to the others and they definitely were not as hardy. They are the prettiest IMO though so it's a tough choice.
    Don't know how much help this was, but maybe it'll help a bit.

Mine never dug up anything, but maybe I was lucky.

5. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I think my only other corydoras option other than dwarfs for this tank is panda corydoras due to the footprint. The surface area at the bottom isn't wonderful. Thanks for the post, though! I appreciate it!

6. Over It Well Known Member Member

I probably should have added that mine were False Julii's. I think that with a decent sized school of Pandas (8 or so) they could be a great addition for your tank since you are wanting to keep them with Shrimp.
    I'm currently fighting the urge to setup my 20 gal and getting some Julii or Panda's again. I did notice that the Pandas would only school with other Pandas. They wanted nothing to do with the Julii's.

7. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Dwarf Corys aren't as hardy, but Panda Corys are usually less than an inch, plus they adorable

8. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Yeah, generally corydoras will only shoal wih their own species. Pandas are an option, but I find the dwarfs more appealing due to their size and I think they'd look better in my tank (more natural browns and such). I'm trying to make the shrimp the centerpiece of the tank. It's not easy finding fish that won't eat baby shrimp on purpose.

9. goplecos Well Known Member Member

My substrate is like yours; natural brown. I have had pandas in the past but now I have peppered. In my opinion the brighter colors are better against a darker substrate because it makes the fish more noticeable. Corys seam to be more afraid of stuff from above, so you can get a cave or pot and have the open end facing the front. Then you might see them more often. I am also new to shrimp but my tank is only 5 gallons so I decided to have only shrimp.

Celestial Pearl Danios would be good for the other type of fish. They are less than .5 long. I actually should get some for my shrimp tank.

10. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely keeping pandas in mind.

They were one of the fish I was looking at, actually! Them, chili rasboras, otos, and pitbull plecos. I'm still doing more research, though. There are so many different kinds of fish...

Ideally I'd have a zebra pleco, but I don't have $150 to shell out on one. XD

11. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Zebra Plecos are the fish I will always want but probably never get. My LFS has a breeding pair so they are only like 90 bucks on black friday, so maybe one day

Albino Corys would also work...

12. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Awesome! Hope you can get some!

Used to have these guys in my other 20 high and found them a bit too big. It's also really hard to find healthy ones around here.

13. toolman Well Known Member Member

I have not tried keeping them with shrimp, but would endlers work? My family loves watching livebearers and I just got a 40breeder for a colony of n-class endlers.

14. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

To be honest with all of you I dont understand the "hardy" part. All fish are bulletproof when kept under the right conditions. Wether a fish is hardy or not shouldnt matter because they will be kept at the right environment. Paleatus is a very misunderstood fish, a lot of people cook it alive. It subtropical and prefers temperatures of around 18 Celsius. Panda corydoras grow about 5cm so I would be worried about panda corydoras staying below an inch. And for your information, Corydoras Pygmaeus are quite hardy IME. They were my first corydoras ever and survived trough my beginner stage. I knew what good water quality was but my husbandry was poor compared to now. I have been trough so much with these cuties that I know they can stand the heat. Not a single dwarf cory has died in my hands and I have done some dumb things with them.

Anyways, to answer your question Bruxes. I wouldnt do them in that tank but you know me, I already said Im crazy. You can definitely do dwarf corydoras in that setup no problem. I would go with Corydoras Habrosus if possible as they are the biggest. What fish are you trying to keep? I was thinking about something like Espei rasboras. I would get at least 10 dwarf cories by the way.

15. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

To be honest, I was looking into maybe a very tiny, harmless species of pleco (think 2 inches or under) and the shoal of corydoras and leaving it at that when it comes to fish.
    If I can't find a good species of pleco I'll leave that out.

My other 20 gallon has a lot of flash and color - this one I want shrimp, snails, and a more natural colored fish.

I can definitely buy 10 of them. Saw a deal on aquabid for 10. Think it was around $40 including shipping? So not too bad.

I can try to widen the pathway a bit too and add more sand.

I love endlers, but not for this tank. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Looks like Corydoras Habrosus and the pitbull pleco have pretty much the exact same temperature range! We might have our winners! :D

16. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Sounds good :) I didnt know about pitbull plecos, they look like a cool fish.

17. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I know, I hadn't heard of them until I read about them on a forum. Seems they're kind of like otos in behavior from what I've read. Trying to determine if they need groups or not and if they'll breed. Have to plan ahead.

Thanks so much for the help, BeanFish and everyone else!

18. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I keep all three species, if you want small corys that behave the same as their larger cousins then C.habrosus would be best as pygmaeus & hastatus spend most of their time in the mid levels, especially hastatus.

19. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Hardy means that a fish does not need any special care or environment. For ex: a molly is hardy because it can survive in any any ph range (as long as the water isn't toxic), and can survive in a temp. range of 60-80 (though they are not as happy on the lower end of the range), and even though they are brackish fish they can survive in a range of freshwater with little to no salt-saltwater tanks (one of my friends has 3 in his reef tank, and one of them just gave birth). Long story short a hardy fish can survive in almost any environment, you do not need a special environment just for them.

While corys can be very stocky, I have seen very few over 2 inches long and I have only seen one batch of pandas over 1 inch long. The first time I went to buy pandas I thought they would be over 2 inches long so I only planned to buy 3. When I saw them I thought they were babies but the guy at the LFS told me they were full grown. They didn't get any larger.

20. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Put a Molly on a low pH and low mineral content and you will see him die before your eyes. Very few fish inside the Poecilia genus need a certain salinity. Your average Molly isn't one of them.

If you buy them babies they will of course still be small. That is why I said "If they stay small".

All fish are "hardy" when kept under the right conditions. Corydoras don't need a certain pH as almost all of them are farm raised. Soft water will benefit them (specially for spawns) but it's not a necessity.

If you don't keep a fish under the right conditions don't expect it to be healthy, they aren't magical. Some tolerate poor conditions better than others but that shouldn't be relevant since fish under our care aren't supposed to endure poor conditions...