Where to buy Budget Shrimp

Sauceboat

Hello! I plan on setting up a shrimp tank or two (3 gallons each) this weekend. This will be my first shrimp colony ever and so I’m going to need some shrimp to start it off. I plan on buying a few red cherry shrimp in a week or two once my tank is cycled and established and everything. My question is: where is a good place to buy cherry shrimp? I want to stay under $25 and want maybe 8-10 medium grade shrimp (I don’t need anything crazy but I want my shrimp to have bright coloring). I don’t have a local fish store within an hour drive so I’m looking mostly online (PetSmart only carries Ghost Shrimp and Petco never has more than 1 in stock). Do you know any places with inexpensive shipping (so that I could stay under $25) or anyone who would be willing to sell me some shrimp in a few weeks?

86 ssinit

Well shrimp need an established tank to thrive. I’d say at least a month old. But longer would be better.

Sauceboat

Well shrimp need an established tank to thrive. I’d say at least a month old. But longer would be better.

Well noted. Will the tank be established quicker using water and plants from my other tanks? What constitutes an established tank? How will I know that it is ready?

86 ssinit

The thing is shrimp eat the micro-film on the tank glass and other things. They also eat algae. So the tank should have both before you add shrimp. Yes plants are best! Ones like hornwort,anacharis and westeria are very good. Others like jave moss and susswasertang are great for shrimplets to hide in. But all plants work.

Water and plants and media from other filters added to new filter. Will cycle the tank much faster but it will still need some time to age. Maybe add a couple of Cory catfish to help it along. Though you may need to rehome them till you build up your colony.

tjander

You need to cycle your tank 4-6 weeks and then wait 2-4 months for your tank to get stabilized. PH, GH and KH remains stable long term. I understand your desire to jump right in but trust me if you proceed as you mentioned your shrimp will all die. Do some research on shrimp and what is needed. Read through the threads on here, learn learn learn... ask questions if you have them. But don’t just go buy shrimp and toss them in a tank.
Now to address your questions about cheap shrimp. Buying them online they are cheap until you pay for shipping. Then they get expensive.
What I am trying to say is there really is no way to do aquatics on the cheap or easy it takes work and effort, knowledge and yes a bit of luck.

Do you homework there is no easy way.

wishuponafish

I recommend setting up a tank and "cycling" it with snails, cycling normally as you would for a fish is a waste of time because shrimp have much smaller bioloads.
The snails will build up your small BB colony slowly without killing themselves with a spike so you don't need to worry about water changes and their poop will grow tons of biofilm for shrimps to graze on. The tank will become established in the meantime, but I've had no problem instantly "establishing" a brand new tank for shrimp just by putting in a filter and piece of slimy driftwood from an existing aquarium.

Fisheye

If you are in Toronto I will gladly give you all of my cherries or a ton of blues...They. never. stop!

Check kijiji, your local fish club forum, or craigslist.

JasonOz

I dont recommend budget shrimp. Last time I bought budget shrimp I got food poisoning

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chewbacca773
Replies
Views
Mxracer6y
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fluidmotion1987
  • Question