Where To Buy Axolotl Food? Question

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Les Miz <3, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Les Miz <3

Les Miz <3Valued MemberMember

Hi, I am hoping to get an axolotl soon but am searching for somewhere to buy affordable earthworms for it. Can anyone recommend a place or company to buy them from and how many I should feed the axie per day? I read somewhere that you should feed them two worms every day, and then on another website it says to feed them one every 2 days...
    Thank you in advance for any help :)

2. Zentuckyfriedchicken

ZentuckyfriedchickenWell Known MemberMember

We have a worm bin that we put compost in. Not sure about the worms though. We got them online but I think they were organic. Never had an axolotl. Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Les Miz <3

Thanks for the help :)

Does anyone know how long worms last for in a fridge? Will they stay alive for a month? Thanks

4. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Why do you need to refrigerate the worms?
    I would find a local bait shop, or even a gardening store. They may or may not have worms, but it's worth checking.

5. OP
    OP
    Les Miz <3

I heard they sometimes last for longer in a fridge, and was considering buying a month’s amount of worms each time as the closest place I can find to buy them from is quite far away (shipping takes 2-3 days) :)

6. MLBJ

MLBJValued MemberMember

Local bait shop will do. Even some gas stations sell worms. And they keep much longer un refrigerated

7. SecretiveFish

SecretiveFishWell Known MemberMember

Walmart sells the worms in the sporting goods section refrigerator, and Petsmart has red wigglers sometimes too but you will have to ask an employee if they have any.

Worms technically can live for a month in the refrigerator if they do not get frozen, but they are living off their own body mass the whole time, making them not that nutritious the longer they are in there.

I feed mine salmon pellets... So much easier!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice