Where To Buy Ammonia In U.k.?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Siggygym, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Siggygym

Siggygym Valued Member Member

Hi everyone, I'm currently fishless cycling a 60l tank and I've read that using seachem stability is not recommended due to the bacteria being non-sustainable? So I've stopped putting stability in and I'm going to use ammonia to feed the bacteria instead of fish food, with the hope that sustainable bacteria grows in the natural way. However for the life of me I cannot find where on earth to buy this ammonia! I'm based in U.K., is there anyone who can advise on where to get the ammonia and what brand? I'm worried I'll buy one with soap or other additives that we don't want. Thank you! :)

2. SuperK

SuperK Well Known Member Member

Have you checked places like Homebase, B&Q etc.? You just need to make sure the ingredients are 100% ammonia or ammonia/water. If it has any additives don't buy it. If you're still unsure you could always ask an employee.

3. OP
    OP
    Siggygym

I don't have a Homebase or b&q nearby so I'm looking online... without much luck! So if anyone can recommend a brand that would be great :)

4. SuperK

Whereabouts do you live? I'm in London. I do remember there being a brand people have posted before so I'll look around and update you :)

5. OP
    OP
    Siggygym

Oh that would be fantastic! You're super SuperK! :)

6. SuperK

From what I've read people have recommended a brand called Kleen Off.

Kleen Off Household Ammonia. Suitable for fishless aquarium cycling 500ml | eBay

This one says it's okay for fishless cycling, however I would definitely try to look around for the ingredients list somewhere before purchasing, just to make sure there's not two variants (ammonia and ammonia/soap mix.) You never know with eBay.

7. OP
    OP
    Siggygym

Thank you very much! Really appreciate it

8. J

Jinx13 New Member Member

Any supermarket sainsburys, tesco to name two will do it. Barrantine also do a knockout household ammonia but can't check ingredients untill tomorrow when I go in to work

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Most general hardware stores should have it as well as the large supermarkets

10. SuperK

No problem!

11. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

Dear Siggygym,

Your local pharmacy will have it and they are the purest! They are usually around %8, %9, %10. Which approximately corresponds to 1 ml of solution for every 100 litres to achieve 1ppm of ammonia. In your case 0.6 ml for 1ppm, 1.2ml for 2ppm. You can use a pharmacy bought mini-syringe for measuring.

You should also keep on dosing even double dosing Stability everyday until you complete your cycle. It will do wonders.

Here is a link by @CindiL :
    Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+ or other Bacterial Starter

Happy Cycling :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice