Where should I start researching about puffers?

xxSTEPHENSxx

Reactions
Experience
2 years
harpua2002 said:
Have you researched much about keeping a brackish tank? That's where I'd suggest starting out if you haven't already. I keep marine tanks and although I don't think it's much more difficult than a lot of Freshwater setups, there is a little more involved. You'll need a marine salt mix and a hydrometer, or better yet a refractometer.

The snails will have to be kept in a separate container IMO. It's likely that the puffer would completely wipe out their population if they were kept together.
Where should I start researching about puffers? Is there any good literature or just search the threads?

Lucy

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI Jaime, Hope you don't mind, I moved your question out of someone else's thread.
It's best to start your own rather than hi-jack another member's.

You should get more responses pertaining to your own question.
Thanks!

OP
X

xxSTEPHENSxx

Reactions
Experience
2 years
Lucy said:
HI Jaime, Hope you don't mind, I moved your question out of someone else's thread.
It's best to start your own rather than hi-jack another member's.

You should get more responses pertaining to your own question.
Thanks!
I apologize... didn't mean to offend anyone.

Jesskb

Reactions
Experience
Just started
is the best puffer site out there. Tons of people who have been keeping puffers a long time and they have an awesome library with puffer information.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaime said:
Thanks aquarist... I will start with those links. I need to learn how to start a brackish tank.
Jaime, let me know if you need any help. I don't keep brackish tanks, but I keep marine and as you know, brackish is kinda in between. Keep in mind that you need a marine salt mix for a brackish tank- a pet store may tell you that aquarium salt will work (and may keep puffers in tanks with only aquarium salt), but that is not true and is not good for a puffer's long term health. When you go to look at puffers, be sure to ask the pet store if they are keeping the puffer in fresh water, aquarium-salted water, or actual brackish water with marine salt. If the puffer is kept in Freshwater or aquarium salt water, IMO you should start it out in Freshwater and slowly raise salinity to the desired range. Putting a puffer that is acclimated to Freshwater directly into brackish water could spell disaster so it's important to know. If the puffer is kept in an actual brackish tank, try to find out the specific gravity so you can match that when you set the tank up. Some puffers, like GSPs, live in low end brackish water as juvies and as adults, will need almost full marine conditions, so be sure to research the exact species that you want.

You probably already know this, but to measure specific gravity you will need either a hydrometer (cheap but not very accurate) or a refractometer (much more accurate, but more expensive- totally worth the cost IMO). This helps you in initial setup, and also helps you to get SG right for your water changes. Also, since salt does not evaporate, you will need to top your tank off with fresh water to compensate for evaporation in between your water changes (as water evaps, SG rises).

Hope this helps!

OP
X

xxSTEPHENSxx

Reactions
Experience
2 years
harpua2002 said:
Jaime, let me know if you need any help. I don't keep brackish tanks, but I keep marine and as you know, brackish is kinda in between. Keep in mind that you need a marine salt mix for a brackish tank- a pet store may tell you that aquarium salt will work (and may keep puffers in tanks with only aquarium salt), but that is not true and is not good for a puffer's long term health. When you go to look at puffers, be sure to ask the pet store if they are keeping the puffer in fresh water, aquarium-salted water, or actual brackish water with marine salt. If the puffer is kept in Freshwater or aquarium salt water, IMO you should start it out in Freshwater and slowly raise salinity to the desired range. Putting a puffer that is acclimated to Freshwater directly into brackish water could spell disaster so it's important to know. If the puffer is kept in an actual brackish tank, try to find out the specific gravity so you can match that when you set the tank up. Some puffers, like GSPs, live in low end brackish water as juvies and as adults, will need almost full marine conditions, so be sure to research the exact species that you want.

You probably already know this, but to measure specific gravity you will need either a hydrometer (cheap but not very accurate) or a refractometer (much more accurate, but more expensive- totally worth the cost IMO). This helps you in initial setup, and also helps you to get SG right for your water changes. Also, since salt does not evaporate, you will need to top your tank off with fresh water to compensate for evaporation in between your water changes (as water evaps, SG rises).

Hope this helps!
Ok this helps a ton. So by keeping a puffer I may start with a Freshwater tank and then gradually go to a brackish tank? Now do I do this by adding salt to the water?

OP
X

xxSTEPHENSxx

Reactions
Experience
2 years
Jesskb said:
is the best puffer site out there. Tons of people who have been keeping puffers a long time and they have an awesome library with puffer information.
Ok I will be sure to check that out. Thanks~

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaime said:
Ok this helps a ton. So by keeping a puffer I may start with a Freshwater tank and then gradually go to a brackish tank? Now do I do this by adding salt to the water?
You'll never want to add salt directly to your tank. Instead, you will need a container so you can premix your salt water.

Lots of stores keep brackish water puffers in fresh water, unfortunately. If you can find out what water the fish is kept in at the store, you can gradually make adjustments to the specific gravity of your tank to keep your puffer happy.

OP
X

xxSTEPHENSxx

Reactions
Experience
2 years
harpua2002 said:
You'll never want to add salt directly to your tank. Instead, you will need a container so you can premix your salt water.

Lots of stores keep brackish water puffers in fresh water, unfortunately. If you can find out what water the fish is kept in at the store, you can gradually make adjustments to the specific gravity of your tank to keep your puffer happy.
Ok so it actually depends on where I get the fish and how it is kept... then I will need to match the water it came from? By doing this I will add salt to water in a bucket let it sit for a day and then add the water to the tank?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I mix my Saltwater with a powerhead in a container and let it sit for a day before using it. I'd mix brackish water the same way, JMO.

New Threads