Where Should I Start My Search?

JackA99

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I currently have two starter kit tanks, aqueon brand I think, that I want to get new hoods for so I can upgrade my lighting. Anyone have any suggestions of where I could find glass hood or should just any hood work?

LunaSky

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don’t use tips on my tanks but glass hoods are very easy and cheap. You can find them at any LFS.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aqueon, their service department, Ebay, Amazon.
I personally like Amazon the best, but they have a limited selection on some things...

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Drs. Foster and Smith has a good selection of Aqueon and Marineland glass hoods.

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's actually cheaper to buy online especially if you qualify for the free shipping.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size are you looking for?

If you just want function not form (ugly thing that keeps fish in), you could get a price of acrylic from Home Depot or Lowe's, cheap and effective.

OP
J

JackA99

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the responses. Should any lid work or only aqueon brand ones? The piece of a acrylic is tempting but long run I think I would rather go with a hinged lid.

WTFish?

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I second drs foster and smith. It’s aquaeon brand, fits most tanks and cheap.

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JackA99 said:
Thanks for all the responses. Should any lid work or only aqueon brand ones? The piece of a acrylic is tempting but long run I think I would rather go with a hinged lid.
Measure the openings and then select the appropriate size, most of the time the hoods fit the standard sized tanks. I have some older oddball size tanks and because of heat issues I just went ahead and bought a $12 piece of egg crate for light fixtures and cut to fit. Works great, helps cool the tank and keeps the fish in.

OP
J

JackA99

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the info. Just found out it is marineland not aqueon I think I may try to find something local before I buy online but good to know that if the size is right it should work for the tank.

New Threads