Where should I put my air pump?

1. sbdzx Member Member

Hi all,
    I've got a Tetra whisper 40 air pump, and as the title says, I don't know where to place it. I've got a metal stand and no lower shelf, and as of right now it's sitting on a stool next to my tank. Can the air pump go on top of my glass canopy, behind the light strip? What about on top of my HOB Fluval C4? Maybe those locations are asking for disaster. If I placed it just on the floor, would that be making the air pump work too hard? I want it to last for a long time. Would putting it on the floor make the air flow weaker?

Thanks everyone!

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I would not put it on the Fluval. It'll be really noisy.

3. mopa Member Member

If the hose is long enough just put it on top of a small rag or towel on the floor.

4. renthus Well Known Member Member

Wherever you want. I keep mine on my desk, next to the bureau my tank is on. This whole concept of needing to be in a specific place is more or less bogus.

5. sbdzx Member Member

I have a check valve. Will it hurt the air pump by making it work too hard if I put it on the floor?

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

On the floor should be fine

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I have one on the floor & it's fine as long as you have a check valve.

8. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

I've also read that the an air pump should be elevated above the water line if you want the pump to last longer. It makes sense to me, if the pump is below the tank it has to work harder to push the air into the water.

How about building a small shelf attached to the wall?

Edit: Please don't take offense, just curious, for those of you who put their air pumps on the floor, how long have your air pumps lasted on the floor?

9. sbdzx Member Member

Okay, I'll put my air pump on the floor. But, after I look into these shelfs Chunk101 is talking about. I actually thought of making a shelf, but you know how the pump vibrates, would that harm the shelf? Maybe this is stupid, but could the pump's vibrations actually dislodge the nails in the wall, making the shelf come down?

10. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

It sounds like a valid concern, however I've never built a wall mount shelf. Another concern is the cost of building a shelf vs. replacing a air pump.

11. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

This is where mine is. [​IMG]

It was driving me crazy next to it, and it had a little loop to hang it, so i did. Now its silent :)

12. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't see how they would come out if you measure out where you want your shelf, mark it, drill pilot holes, use plastic anchors, and Then hammer the pins/nails into the plastic anchors when you hang the shelf.

13. Blueszz Well Known Member Member

Just to make sure, do you have a one way valve installed? If not, you are going to end with a drained tank if the air tube comes loose.

Nice tank :)

14. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Yep :)

15. sbdzx Member Member

I wish mine was mountable--it's a Tetra whisper. Theoretically, could I drill holes in 2 of the legs and hang it from a nail or something?

Since I have a really hard time making decisions (lol), I'll keep the shelf in mind, too. What I originally had in mind shelf-wise was this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's one of those mountable paper-holding things I had laying around, and I hacked off the front. I was thinking I could nail/gorilla glue it down to make a shelf for the air pump. Then I could also gorilla glue dowels/skinny bars above the bottom platform to hold my fish food. Would that work?
    Again, I'd worry about the nail being strong enough to hold it up while withstanding the airpump's vibrations, especially since this shelf here only has 1 nail hole. I really like the idea of reinforcing the nail with an anchor, though. Would that work for this? Would I need to drill another nail hole or two to mount it with?

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate your help and support!

16. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Youd be surprised lol. That nail is maybe an inch long. Holds it just fine :)

17. sbdzx Member Member

Thanks, everyone, for all your input. Just got some brackets for a shelf. The brackets came with screws, but then I bought some plastic anchors at Ace just for safe measure.

18. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

No Offence taken at all; however, given the cost of material and my tendency to turn a simple project into a lifetime affair, I wonder just how much I would actually save, if not in dollars, at least in fingernails?
    Your point does seem valid, though..--------rick

19. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

Yes, I too am a pragmatic person at heart and value my fingernails as much as the next person. So, I noted that concern in post #10.:;bananared

20. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

As my wife often reminds me, when I make an innocent mistake like plumbing the toilet into the water heater, the diamond on her ring is still, after numerous decades, temporary, but her nails are forever:).
    I am both pragmatic and phobic, it would appear-best to you, rick
    sent from the torontoskingraftclinic@menareuseless.com