Where Should I Buy My Betta?

Where should I buy my next betta?

• Total voters

Danerys Fishborn

Reaction score
I already have four aquariums and am considering buying another betta (already have two). I have a LFS where I get most of my supplies (plants, hardscape, food, fish, everything). They have beautiful bettas that they take *excellent* care of.

I also frequent another pet store, it's a local chain, not a national chain, to buy supplies for our non-aquatic pets. They carry bettas in cups. Some are ok, some look ragged. I can't help myself and I go look at them every time I shop.

My question is this: do I buy my next betta from my LFS because they always do right by their fish, or do I succumb to the urge to rescue one of the fish at the pet chain because they just look so desperate?

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would go buy from the LFS because your money would be going to them to show your support for their bettas. However it's your choice and you just pick whichever one moves your heart.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’d purchase and support a place that actually cares for their fish rather than support a place that abuses them. So for those reasons, I’d go with the good LFS personally.

OP
D

Danerys Fishborn

Reaction score
Repolie, I totally agree! But then I see the desperate ones and the urge to rescue is SO STRONG because they could be living their best fishy life at my house! Swimming among the plants! Building bubble nests!

But, then again it's rescuing an individual at the expense of supporting a business I find unethical, ugh

HelloKittyPowa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would buy from a trusted breeder online. If you get one at the pet store like Petsmart you are only supporting them for the lack of care for their fish and for them to bring in more healthy ones only for them to be sick in the long run. Up to you though, this is kind of a big issue when it comes to pet stores. I'm not saying all are bad because some Fishlorians have pet stores that do maintain their fish well, but not all.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Danerys Fishborn said:
But then I see the desperate ones and the urge to rescue is SO STRONG because they could be living their best fishy life at my house! Swimming among the plants! Building bubble nests!
You can try to get a discount on that betta for it's poor health. That way they don't get a full profit.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was once told that it's better to wait it out until you find the perfect betta for you, don't just pick the best looking one on your first trip to the store, take some time and think about what you are after.

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yale Kim said:
if you buy from lfs the betta fish probably healthy, but if you buy from a chain store you need to quarantine them with ich x, em erythromycin, and general cure.
Medicine shouldn’t be used unless there is a diagonsed disease. Otherwise it is just stressing the fish more.

Yale Kim

Reaction score
Its just guaranteeing that the fish and better safe than sorry.

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm all
BrownsFan#1 said:
You can try ebay, or sometimes people on fishlore are selling bettas, I know that @Gaunchy has koI bettas he will be selling in a few months

Otherwise you can go to your LFS
Thank you BrownsFan#1

I have tons of babies that would be ready in about 3 months. Not sure if you are willing to wait that long.

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yale Kim said:
Its just guaranteeing that the fish and better safe than sorry.
It’s putting unnecessary stress on the fish. They don’t need to be treated for all common diseases unless they actually have it. Not all chain stores have unhealthy fish and not all lfs have healthy fish

Tigursevin79

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
why can't we report unethiclly inhumane pet stores for this sort of mishandling I really like know cause tbh if we saw a dog in a toy dog crate at pet store we could for abuse why can't these fish store that really mistreat or not even take care of their bettas get in real ttrouble liscence wise or legaly sry misspellign a lot hard type fast when upset over this issue I see time and time again . even my local petsmart who usually are good have filthy bettas in cups literally sized for tiny marimo moss balls they are so scummy looking either over fed not cleaned out and barely enough room for betta to stretch out half their fins let alone fully ;c read somewhere bettas shouldnt be kept long term in anything under like 2-3 gallons and minum really of 5 for health though idk full legistics mine will go into 5 gallon or 10 gallon with divider for male and females in sorrity tank but jesh sorry if abit vocal on this but put a human in a 100 gallon aquarium for 6 months to wait and be sold is tantamount of these bettas in tiny cups let alone the unclean water ;c

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
I was once told that it's better to wait it out until you find the perfect betta for you, don't just pick the best looking one on your first trip to the store, take some time and think about what you are after.
I agree with this. I was not in the market for my first betta. But he was a beautiful Crowntail. Phantom had black fins and a silvery metallic body.
I bought a whole new tank just for him.(using media from my other tanks along with 'dirty' water from them) All while my boyfriend laughed at me for falling in love with a new fish friend.

DanInJakarta

Reaction score
Buy from me.

Just kidding but what they do in Asia (where I now live) with breeding is amazing. I never saw anything that came close in the pet store or LFS.

Having said that, two of our three dogs are "rescues". Unless you're planning to breed or you happen to see an amazing one that you just adore, why not rescue one? My opinion only.

Or you can be like my wife: every week a new betta: dumbo, Cambodian, crown tail, spade tail, marble, half-moon; I'm going to need a bigger house...

WinterSoldier.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DanInJakarta said:
Buy from me.

Just kidding but what they do in Asia (where I now live) with breeding is amazing. I never saw anything that came close in the pet store or LFS.

Having said that, two of our three dogs are "rescues". Unless you're planning to breed or you happen to see an amazing one that you just adore, why not rescue one? My opinion only.

Or you can be like my wife: every week a new betta: dumbo, Cambodian, crown tail, spade tail, marble, half-moon; I'm going to need a bigger house...
Kamu darI Jakarta?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Let’s not derail the Op’s Thread any further & please post in English, we don’t have time to be looking up translations, thanks.
Reminder of the Op’s Question below:

Danerys Fishborn said:
I already have four aquariums and am considering buying another betta (already have two). I have a LFS where I get most of my supplies (plants, hardscape, food, fish, everything). They have beautiful bettas that they take *excellent* care of.

I also frequent another pet store, it's a local chain, not a national chain, to buy supplies for our non-aquatic pets. They carry bettas in cups. Some are ok, some look ragged. I can't help myself and I go look at them every time I shop.

My question is this: do I buy my next betta from my LFS because they always do right by their fish, or do I succumb to the urge to rescue one of the fish at the pet chain because they just look so desperate?

New Threads