Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Where Should I Buy My Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Danerys Fishborn, Jan 27, 2019.

?

Where should I buy my next betta?

1. Happy Betta from LFS bc they're doing the right thing

86.7%
  2. Desperate fish from local chain store bc it's so SAD

13.3%
  1. Danerys FishbornNew MemberMember

I already have four aquariums and am considering buying another betta (already have two). I have a LFS where I get most of my supplies (plants, hardscape, food, fish, everything). They have beautiful bettas that they take *excellent* care of.

I also frequent another pet store, it's a local chain, not a national chain, to buy supplies for our non-aquatic pets. They carry bettas in cups. Some are ok, some look ragged. I can't help myself and I go look at them every time I shop.

My question is this: do I buy my next betta from my LFS because they always do right by their fish, or do I succumb to the urge to rescue one of the fish at the pet chain because they just look so desperate?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2019
  2. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

I would go buy from the LFS because your money would be going to them to show your support for their bettas. However it's your choice and you just pick whichever one moves your heart.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  3. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I’d purchase and support a place that actually cares for their fish rather than support a place that abuses them. So for those reasons, I’d go with the good LFS personally.

4. Danerys FishbornNew MemberMember

Repolie, I totally agree! But then I see the desperate ones and the urge to rescue is SO STRONG because they could be living their best fishy life at my house! Swimming among the plants! Building bubble nests!

But, then again it's rescuing an individual at the expense of supporting a business I find unethical, ugh

5. HelloKittyPowaValued MemberMember

I would buy from a trusted breeder online. If you get one at the pet store like Petsmart you are only supporting them for the lack of care for their fish and for them to bring in more healthy ones only for them to be sick in the long run. Up to you though, this is kind of a big issue when it comes to pet stores. I'm not saying all are bad because some Fishlorians have pet stores that do maintain their fish well, but not all.

6. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

You can try to get a discount on that betta for it's poor health. That way they don't get a full profit.

7. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

You can try ebay, or sometimes people on fishlore are selling bettas, I know that @Gaunchy has koi bettas he will be selling in a few months

Otherwise you can go to your LFS

8. Yale KimValued MemberMember

if you buy from lfs the betta fish probably healthy, but if you buy from a chain store you need to quarantine them with ich x, em erythromycin, and general cure.

9. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I was once told that it's better to wait it out until you find the perfect betta for you, don't just pick the best looking one on your first trip to the store, take some time and think about what you are after.

10. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Medicine shouldn’t be used unless there is a diagonsed disease. Otherwise it is just stressing the fish more.

11. Yale KimValued MemberMember

Its just guaranteeing that the fish and better safe than sorry.

12. GuanchyWell Known MemberMember

Im all
    Thank you @BrownsFan#1

I have tons of babies that would be ready in about 3 months. Not sure if you are willing to wait that long.

13. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

It’s putting unnecessary stress on the fish. They don’t need to be treated for all common diseases unless they actually have it. Not all chain stores have unhealthy fish and not all lfs have healthy fish

14. Tigursevin79Valued MemberMember

why cant we report unethiclly inhumane pet stores for this sort of mishandling i really like know cause tbh if we saw a dog in a toy dog crate at pet store we could for abuse why cant these fish store that really mistreat or not even take care of thier bettas get in real ttrouble liscence wise or legaly sry misspellign alot hard type fast when upset over this issue i see time and time again . even my local petsmart who usually are good have filthy bettas in cups literally sized for tiny marimo moss balls they are so scummy looking either over fed not cleaned out and barely enough room for betta to stretch out half thier fins let alone fully ;c read somewhere bettas shouldnt be kept long term in anything under like 2-3 gallons and minum really of 5 for health though idk full legistics mine will go into 5 gallon or 10 gallon with divider for male and females in sorrity tank but jesh sorry if abit vocal on this but put a human in a 100 gallon aquarium for 6 months to wait and be sold is tantamount of these bettas in tiny cups let alone the unclean water ;c

15. BryWell Known MemberMember

I agree with this. I was not in the market for my first betta. But he was a beautiful Crowntail. Phantom had black fins and a silvery metallic body.
    I bought a whole new tank just for him.(using media from my other tanks along with 'dirty' water from them) All while my boyfriend laughed at me for falling in love with a new fish friend.

16. DanInJakartaValued MemberMember

Buy from me.

Just kidding but what they do in Asia (where I now live) with breeding is amazing. I never saw anything that came close in the pet store or LFS.

Having said that, two of our three dogs are "rescues". Unless you're planning to breed or you happen to see an amazing one that you just adore, why not rescue one? My opinion only.

Or you can be like my wife: every week a new betta: dumbo, Cambodian, crown tail, spade tail, marble, half-moon; I'm going to need a bigger house...

17. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Kamu dari Jakarta?

18. DanInJakartaValued MemberMember

Blm, pak, dari San Diego tapi saya tinggal sini utk 9 tahun.

19. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Okay....give me a moment to translate......my Indonesian isn't much to speak of...or are you typing in Malay, they are very similar.....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  20. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Let’s not derail the Op’s Thread any further & please post in English, we don’t have time to be looking up translations, thanks.
    Reminder of the Op’s Question below: