Where is the Rhizome

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Wintersprite, Aug 6, 2015.

1. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Hey all, I just purchased some Java Fern "Narrow Leaf" plants and was wondering where the rhizome is? I am just wondering because I will be planting these plants in gravel substrate and wanted to make sure that I am not covering the rhizome. Is it under the black thread? Here is a picture of my two ferns and thanks again for your guys help.

Attached Files:

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The very bottom is the Rhizome. It should look like a stick with the leaves growing out of it. It's a little hard to plant Java fern in the substrate. They don't have true roots. What roots they have are water roots and they need to be able to float free int he water. The rhizome will rot if plaanted.

Here is a link to a sticky that might help you. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-plants/45894-plants-rhizomes.html

Anchored to a rock or wood they make awesome showpieces.

Hope that helps

Carol

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  3. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Ok, so it is the part that has all the string wrapped around it then? Unfortunately I do not have anything to anchor it to besides the gravel substrate. Maybe I can find a couple larger pieces of gravel in the tank. If I can do I just use fishing line to tie it to the gravel? Also one last question, what plants would you suggest that are low maintenance and require low light that can be planted in gravel substrate?

4. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

You can use sewing thread to anchor the plant to a larger piece of rock. the thread will rot and break and you will never know it was there. I also use rubber bands. They are awesome on wood if you get some in the future..

Most Crypts are low maintenance and can be planted in the substrate. Anubias while it's better to attach them to a piece of wood or large rock can be set on top of the substrate successfully.
    Carol

5. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

They look like young plant lets that have been pulled off the rhizome of the mother plant.

You can plant them in the substrate temporarily. After a few weeks there will be enough bits of gravel stuck to the roots to pull it up, and the weight of the gravel stick to it will keep it down and stop it floating off...

6. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Thanks for the information guys. I will have to check out some of those plants later on.

Hampalong that could be the case. All that is holding the leaves together is some thread that has been wrapped around the very bottom which is why I was not sure where the rhizome was. I did not even see any roots at all. As of right now I have the plants buried in the gravel up to where the thread ends. So if what you are saying is the case they are fine like that for the next 2 weeks? Then at the 2 week mark just pull them up out of the gravel? Here is a picture of what they look like in the tank right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  7. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

I don't know, and I might have mislead you a bit. Normally plantlets have a few leaves and an inch or so of rhizome. These and more mature plants can have any non-green roots buried (green ones need to be above the substrate). I bury them for a couple of weeks if the plant won't stay where it's put, and then it can just be pulled up and plonked on a bit of wood or whatever. There will be enough substrate stuck to it to make it heavy (the plants roots and rhizome stick to stuff as they grow).

The leaves you have seem to be just pulled off leaves. I don't know if they will grow roots underground, they might need to be above....?

8. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Hmmm....I wonder if I should just let them float in the tank for a few weeks then. Has anyone else dealt with Java fern before that was wrapped in thread at the bottom with no roots? If so what did you do with them?

9. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I bought one Java fern at Petco that came in the same container as yours. Mine did have a few roots coming off of it though. I attached it to a piece of driftwood with a rubber band (but not too tightly!). It has been in my tank for a few weeks now, and it's not looking so hot. I think it's dying back, but hopefully it'll come back once it's used to being immersed.

I went to a nice aquarium store in Houston and picked up Java fern mats - these are tall (~18") Java ferns with very long roots, tied onto a coconut husk mat (~3" x 6"). I got about 30 tall leaves with long roots for $18, much cheaper than buying them in the above containers. They're doing much better too! Lots of roots, and long, green leaves. I won't ever buy plants from a Petco container again after buying these mats.

10. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

They should grow roots if you attach them so the bottom is touching wood/rock, something to stick to. That's probably your best bet.

11. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Ya I think I am going to try and find a couple pieces of larger pebbles in my substrate and see if I can use some sewing thread to tie the ferns down to them. Hopefully that will be enough to keep them sitting on the top of the gravel substrate And allow them to grow.

Texas I wish I had a fish store like that around here but unfortunately the one that is near me their plants didn't look to well. Had a lot of dead spots on the ferns when I last checked them out a couple weeks ago. Hopefully your ferns from petco will grow back. I do not think I will buy the plants in a container from petco again either eventhough I got two plants in one container. If these ferns do not work out at least they were only about $5 since petco has their 30% off sale going on right now.

If I decide to get more plants later on maybe I will check out petsmart's top fin plants that are in a container. Has anyone had any experience with their plants?

12. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Yeah, I had to drive 1 1/2 hours for that nice store. Luckily I was headed out that way anyway, and I could combine trips!

13. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

A word to the wise: Be careful what you buy in petsmarts little containers. Even some of their other plants. There are frequently non-aquatic plants mixed in with aquatic plants. Be aware of what you are buying :) More colorful plants are likely to be non- aquatic.

I think your idea of binding your java frn to a large pebble is great. If you leave it in the substrate watch for rot at the substrate level.

Carol

14. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Thank you for the advise butterfly. If I stick with getting anubias nana or some crypts in the containers at petsmart I should be in the clear right? Then if I see any others I like I think I will take a picture of it then come home and research it or ask on here before I buy it.

Ya I am really hoping that by tieing the ferns to a pebble that they will start to produce some roots. Right now I am leaving on the lights for about 10-12 hours a day.

15. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Well I finally was able to find a couple pebbles to tie the ferns to, so we will see what happens. Hopefully they will grow some nice roots now. Here is an updated picture of what they look like now

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  16. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Plain ol cyanoacrylate Superglue is actually fish and aquarium safe, you can use it to attach Mosses, Java Ferns, Anubias etc to just about anything. Also water rapidly increases the curing process for the superglue. Ive used it to secure all 3 above mentioned plants to driftwood. Works fine with rock and gravel as well. I use the Superglue brand with the brush applicator, just apply a tiny bit, press the 2 surfaces together carefully (avoiding direct skin contact) and then put it in the tank, it cures within seconds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice