Where is the best place to put a filter in a long 20 gallon?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Hakouna, May 7, 2013.

1. Hakouna

HakounaNew MemberMember

^

Where is the best place to put a filter in a long 20 gallon?

2. Arden0208

Arden0208Well Known MemberMember

I really don't think it matters... Filter placement for reasons that arnt specific don't really matter until you start dealing with large tanks... like 75 plus

Is there a reason it would matter?

3. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

As Arden said, in a 20 gallon tank the placement of the filter isn't really much of a problem. Of course, if you're interested in still getting the maximum circulation possible, it depends on whatkind of filter you're using. Is it an internal filter, HOB (hang on the back, like an aquaclear) or a canister?

If you find that there are dead spots in the water circulation the best way in your size of tank is to simply add an airstone.

4. OP
    OP
    Hakouna

HakounaNew MemberMember

I wanted to know because i wasn't sure if i should place it in the middle or the side. Because it's long so I didn't want it to not catch everything.

My filter is one of those that hangs on the back.

5. troyvsc

troyvscWell Known MemberMember

I looked into this when i first started and I never found a solid answer to your question.

I put mine in the middle. Just offset so where the intake is directly middle and the waterfall flow is offcenter to the right. There is current on both sides if the tank. I see my plants move.

I added a sponge filter on the left side but that wa added for more filtration and not so much for flow.

6. Arden0208

You could put it in the middle you could put it on the end... If your concern is dead spots add an airator...

But 20 gallons is really a very small body of water. Unless your running an undersized filter it shouldn't be an issue... you want anywhere from 4 to 10 gph turnover... A lot of people say there's no such thing as too much... I disagree. If your fish look like they're swimming in a toilet bowl you've got issues... lol

Some fish like that.... many don't... this is relitive to your stock.

My tank has filtration turnover at about 5xs per hour but has total flow at 9xs via an additional circulation.pump...

I intentionally set it up this was so the current would flow from end to end but dissapate accross the tank into calmer waters... so one end has the swirly effect and the other is more like a gentel stream.....

my tank is also 72" long...

either way... no worries.... in a 20 you should be fine...

7. cichlidmac

cichlidmacWell Known MemberMember

I always put intake on opposite end of the return. Some fish like the mellow end some like the return flow. In a 20 it shouldn't matter much.

8. Arden0208

Doesn't really work with an HOB.... my canisters end to end but my HOB is center.... Although the more I think about it I'm considering moving it to the intake end... or getting a second... haven't decided yet...

But yea... good info...

9. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

I always placed my HOBs in this way: If the intake is on the left side, then I place the filter on the left side (the long side) of the aquarium. If the intake is on the right, then it would go on the right side. This is because usually I had no place in the middle due to the type of lighting hoods I was using. I believe the middle would be good.

Believe it or not people study these things. If you ever get a canister filter, use this document to help you. It's interesting even if it seems superfluous! :)

http://translate.google.de/translat...ame=aquarium-stroemungsverteilung.php&act=url