Where is the best place to order from in the Midwestern United State?

Fireblaze305

Reactions
I am going to try and get some fish that are more sensitive and don’t want to get the fish from the major chain pet stores. The reason that is because I heard that they get their fish from Southeast Asia and they pump their water full of Antibiotics and or hormones. I really don’t want these fish to die and am doing all the research I can before I get them. So, is there anywhere that is the best place to order fish from?

Rev

Well Known
Reactions
If you have a local fish store that's the best option. You don't have to deal with shipping, especially since it's winter. A lot of sellers also won't ship if it's below freezing, some won't ship if it's under 50. The colder it is the higher the chance of fish dying, even with heat packs and that's just not fun. The chain stores aren't that bad, they're just not as high of a quality of fish as your local fish store is going to have, plus a higher chance of disease usually. If you're dead set on ordering online I'd wait for warmer weather, overnighting all the fish can get quite expensive and still a bit risky with the cold.

CHJ

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't knock Southeast Asia, you can get amazing fish from there. There are some wonderful fish that you can only get there.

What state are you in? How long a road trip are you up for? What fish are you looking for?
If we know this people may be able to suggest local places that do not normally ship.. Come to think of it my LFS is now shipping bettas and guppies for sure, I'd have to ask about larger.

Some bigbox stores do flood with antibiotics as that is the nature of their game. I have never heard about hormones as those cost money and do not make money.

malcourt

Reactions
If your not wanting to purchase fish that have never been introduced to antibiotics you might as well forget purchasing fish! I would much rather have fish I purchased been treated then to have dead fish on my hands. Everyone that sells fish treats them or should at least treat them just simply because of the quantity of fish sellers have to deal with. I don't like big box pet stores either but for much different reasons. Hope you find what you're looking for.

New Threads