Where Is My Snail?

Astrogopher1

Reaction score
If I happened to bury a small Yellow Mystery snail in about 2 inches of standard PetSmart 22lb. bags of gravel while vacuuming and I cant find it, can it dig its way out? Kind of a silly thing but am sure the bugger did not get out of the aquarium. I dont have much decoration in the aquarium to hide. I have rooted around in the gravel quite a bit. I still haven't found it. Speed buggers. I don't know what to do.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
they are great hiders, even as adults. i count all of my snails daily and usually i freak out for a while cuz i can find one, but its always there... lurking....in the dark lol

edit: if i did get burried im sure it can get out, but for good measure, dig yoour hand around all the gravle to be safe

Astrogopher1

Reaction score
Ms rose said:
edit: if i did get burried im sure it can get out, but for good measure, dig yoour hand around all the gravle to be safe
I am still afraid to manually manipulate these fish. They all seem so fragile. It seems to me just moving them with a net will kill them. I wasn't sure how much handling the snails can handle.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
snails can hande some touching, although they dont love it, but it will not hurt it. also fish and nets can be problematic, but if you do it carfully it will be fine, they are like babies, seem very delicte but are much more durable then we think lol

DDawg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Snails are actually quite tough. When I was upgrading my 55 gallon I forgot about my two nerites and accidentally tossed them outside with my driftwood I wasn't reusing. (In my defense I was very preoccupied with my much more expensive and delicate fish.) Anyways I realized my mistake and found them in a moment of panic over two hours later. I put them into my ten gallon and they are still alive over 3 months later. Moral of the story is that as long as you are careful you can absolutely pick up a snail, just be careful and grab by the shell.
Also I wouldn't worry if you cant find your snail. I have 4 in my ten gallon and only saw no more than two at time for over a month. I was convinced they had somehow escaped until I saw all 4 happily eating algae a couple of days ago. Give it some time I'm sure he will show up. Good luck.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mystery snails are pretty durable, but they're also known for climbing out of aquariums...
Most of the time, they are hiding somewhere but they do climb out, especially females looking for places to lay eggs, so it would be worth checking around the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom