Where is best place to buy custom cut acrylic top for SeaClear

KribensisLover1

I have a flatback hexagonal SeaClear acrylic tank. The lighting that comes with the tank has an acrylic sheet as a base. The light piece is terrible, so I got new lighting and used the acrylic base as a tank cover. However it bows a lot and cracked one day as I was drying it off.
Where is the best place to have a custom piece of hexagonal acrylic/plexiglass cut? The prior piece was a long rectangle that stuck out further than the tank edges. For the new piece, I want it to cover most of the tank and fit perfectly, so it would need to be a hexagonal front with a flat back shape. The old piece bowed terribly. I am hoping Bc the new piece will be larger, it may be heavier and bow less, or maybe I can choose acrylic that’s a bit heavier so it’s less likely to bow. I already tried to cut my own top and it’s awful, and I don’t want glass because the tank is at my parents house and I don’t want them to have to lift the heavy glass every time they feed the fishes.

Should I just measure and order on Amazon? Or go to a hardware store? Where have you all had the best luck with custom cut pieces? Thank you in advance! I have a Lowe’s and ace hardware and Home Depot near me or I can order on Amazon or elsewhere. The piece now is cracked and falls into the tank ans isn’t safe but I need a top Bc of the cold weather here.

Islandvic

KribensisLover1,

Check out the Blue Tide Acrylics website. They are also on FB and Instagram.

I've known the owner for almost 14 years.

Great guy.

He can custom make anything from acrylic.

He can make you a simple lid, or even custom engrave a logo or a design on it.

Colored acrylic is available.

If I personally needed something made from acrylic, I would use him.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

I use custom glass for all my tanks, but if you want you can cut acrylic yourself with a jigsaw.

Upvote 0

AvalancheDave

Acrylic will warp if unsupported. Use polycarbonate. Find your LPS (local plastics store) and give them the measurements.

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1,

Great guy.

KribensisLover1,

Great guy.

Dennis57 and AvalancheDave Islandvic
Thank you three for your replies! So here’s what I’m working with now ( I mean the tank shape as well as the cruddy ‘lid’ I’m using are in the pics below). It’s not clamped down in any way. It’s extremely thin. Before I saw your replies, I called a company near me and the salwas surprised I didn’t have a way to secure the lid. He said that he thinks if the acrylic is thicker and larger it might be okay, and had me send him pics and specs and will call me back.

It’s tough to figure out how to secure a lid on a tank this shape. I mean the sea clear comes with a hood you have to remove EVERYTIME to feed or do anything. So even changing the water means you can’t have tank lights on. It’s not fit to size either.

So a.) I read online that the sea clear top piece (and only that piece) is plastic. It’s def much thinner. I know that plexi and acrylic are the same, but unsure of the diff between those and plastic or poly. Knowing about each one might not matter in my case, as long as I know what is heavy enough to use. Sounds like poly but Islandvic will your guys stuff (in your opinion) be heavy enough too or should I give him a call?

B.) I’ve heard that acrylic lets the light shine through better/the tank is much brighter than with a glass lid, so I def want the material that will provide the nicest lighting.
C.) If I have to choose between a heavy lid and one that bows, I would RATHER have one that bows. This is because my mom is lifting the lid off, and the tank is taller than her with very little space directly around it so she will be having to carry glass back and forth (she’s 75).
D.) the tank is a foot across at the deepest point yet I think I should only make the lid 9.5” so I have that filter area clear, right?

Here are pics. The ones with the low water are those taken right before my water change (which I just did). My acrylic tank is SO MUCH PRETTIER than my glass tank and It’s nothing I’ve done. It’s Bc of the seamlessness and clarity of the tank. Many people have stunning glass tanks but Bc Mine isn’t planted etc etc it’s the actual acrylic shape I love. Plus it was a very expensive tank and it makes me irritated that the lid is so unsightly.

Thank you guys so much! I know experts In plastics are great but they don’t know the tanks like you do. I know I ask a lot but I’m ordering online and am at a total loss!

EDIT the company from earlier emailed me back and didn’t give an estimate. He did say my lid was 1/8” and I should double to
1/4”. He said to trace the top and send it to him. I am happy to go with your recs just wanted to let you know what a plastics company said.

32E9A273-BAC9-4189-A5FD-9878EF0FCEDC.jpeg
B4A97D63-F68A-4C36-A162-7587790A4214.jpeg
2B857AE0-D0C2-4DDB-8053-37E76824320F.jpeg
26553779-9F54-473A-8207-9146EB659884.jpeg
21654A00-AD7B-4F5C-ADB2-5A0D8663272B.jpeg
D33B06F2-ED05-4E39-8360-B048016B35CC.jpeg
740A6163-64C8-4D37-89CF-6AE229FE2759.jpeg
875701F2-9193-4B85-AC13-B112ED9E0FB7.jpeg

Upvote 0

AvalancheDave

I have a SeaClear 125 gal andI took the lights off as well and tried to use those same pieces as lids but they warped. I came up with dimensions for rectangular pieces of polycarbonate that slightly overlapped the size of the holes and had the LPS cut them for me. I think they're 1/16" thick.

Upvote 0

Islandvic

Email my friend at Blue Tide Acrylics, asking if you sent pics/dimensions, could he draw up some options for lids.

I think he has a CNC that can cut the piece very accurately.

There are different types of acrylic. Im sure something can be made that looks good, fits well and doesn't bow.

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

Thank you!
Email my friend at Blue Tide Acrylics, asking if you sent pics/dimensions, could he draw up some options for lids.

I think he has a CNC that can cut the piece very accurately.

There are different types of acrylic. Im sure something can be made that looks good, fits well and doesn't bow.
I’m emailing him now—would you like me to mention your name? So he knows you’ve helped him with referrals?

Upvote 0

Islandvic

Nah, all good.

Let me know if for some reason he doesn't respond.

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

Nah, all good.

Let me know if for some reason he doesn't respond.
Yes he hasn’t replied. I tried to submit contact forms and am not sure they went through so I messaged on FB. It says the business usually replies within an hour and I wrote 12/3 and he saw it right away and hasn’t replied.

Upvote 0

Islandvic

I'll reach out to him.

PM me, so I can get more info

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies
Views