Valued Member
Reaction score
where does lace rock come from?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lace rock is very similar to Lava rock, ignious rock formed by volcanic activity. It is usually grey in color, with occational yellow or orange stripes, as opposed to the red color of Lava rock. Lace rock is versitile in that it is used in both Fresh and Saltwater aquariums.

Fishface

Valued Member
Reaction score
is it actually from lava?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It sounds like it's not from lava, but as a secondary thing from volcanic activity.. but i'm not sure at all. I bet if you ask in the saltwater general forum, you'll find some members who know since lace rock is more common with saltwater tanks than freshwater.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing to note, if lace rock is really like lava rock it will be very coarse. Catfish or fish that like to dig might be really turned off by a lace substrate. I removed a fake coral from my tank because some food got stuck under one of its "arms" and my cory cats went for it and scratched up their backs. Removed it the very next day.

Fishface

Valued Member
Reaction score
Luniyn said:
One thing to note, if lace rock is really like lava rock it will be very coarse. Catfish or fish that like to dig might be really turned off by a lace substrate. I removed a fake coral from my tank because some food got stuck under one of its "arms" and my cory cats went for it and scratched up their backs. Removed it the very next day.
I know. I'm having to decided between biotopes. And I think I might go with a South/CentralAmerican/Riverine and Lake Victorian Cichlid tank, largely BECAUSE of my African Featherfin..I don't think he'll dig the lace rock. I have some absolutely beautiful formations of it, too, so it sucks, but..I don't want it to scratch him up.

Still deciding. Have a few months. Input appreciated and wildly desired.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom