Where do you put your fish???

When you clean your fishes tank - where do you put your fish????

• In a small cup.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • in an extra tank

• in the sink

• in the toilet - yes i had friends who did that

• in the tub - i did that!! lol

• in a bag

• a mix of them - write what mix

• Total voters

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
vote then write something about it. my sisters when they had goldfish would put them in the toilet while they cleaned their tanks!! lol. not very clean but funny!! i usually put mine in the betta container they came in or a small cup. but when i had my first betta, aquamarine, i would fill the tub up, dechlorinate it and put her in it!! lol. Miles

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i've never had to remove my fish to clean the tank. am i doing something wrong? i just remove no more than 50% of the water and rake the gravel up use my magnet glass cleaner for any bits on the glass...job done! my fish seem happy!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We leave our fish in the tanks when cleaning them too. The Bettas sometimes get curious and check it out, but the other fish mainly stay as far away from the cleaning as they can.

I can't say that we've ever given our betta a bath before, like Aquamarine would get..

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fish stay in the tank, 25% of the water, along with gravel filth come out.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
well we dont have proper sized tanks so u have to do a full clean. my parents and sisters would yell at me if i did a bit each day cause we have a 1 gal a 1.5 gal and a 4 gal. i leave oscar - in the four gal - to clean his but nbot the other two. Smiley

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BettaBuddy said:
well we dont have proper sized tanks so u have to do a full clean. my parents and sisters would yell at me if i did a bit each day cause we have a 1 gal a 1.5 gal and a 4 gal. i leave oscar - in the four gal - to clean his but nbot the other two. Smiley
Yea, with tanks below 2.5 gallon (or even below 5 gallon depending on the tank type) it's best to take them out so they don't get hurt.

Hazcop

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I leave them in the tank as well...I just try and work around them. ;D

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I put them in a tub.
That is, whenever i do full clean out.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I leave them in the tank......

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ya - i think its really fun having them in the tub!!!! LOL they look so so so tiny!! Smile

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I leave them in the tank.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the fish dont come out of the big tank when its cleaned, but the bettas take home in a pint glass. not exactly small but still a cup.

FishPirateL337

Valued Member
Reaction score
The only time I remove my fish from their tanks to clean, is when the tanks need a major water change, 50% or more.
They go into the hospital tank.

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use 5 Gallon buckets or a pitcher depending on the tank I'm cleaning. TinFoil Barbs don't fit so well in pitchers lol.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You should NEVER put them in a bathtub, toilet or sink! There are germs in there that will kill your fish and the cleaners (like Ajax) used to clean the tub/sink etc cannot be completely rinsed off and will also sicken or kill your fish. If you HAVE to remove them, always use a container that has never been used for anything else and has not been washed with any kind of soap. A large 4 cup measuring cup you can get from the dollar store would be fine as long as you put a lid on it (like a CD case) so the fish can't jump out.
All my Bettas are in 5 gallon tanks and I never remove them to clean. It's too stressful on them. You should get larger tanks for all your fish.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have been hearing this for a while, get a larger tank, but i have seen some very healthy fish in 2.5 g tanks, vases, our bathroom fish shares his space with three lucky bamboo. livingroom fish is almost three and he lives in a vase above the t.v. His colors are beautiful and has great health. in a 5 g tank do you also put those air and carbon filtration units in? I am curious because i would like to upgrade some of the tan ks in the house but the fish are doing great. the most i ever do is a 10% water change and skim the top for scum that the dirty boys make once a week. But not all the fish are really dirty. two out of the five are pigs. but when you clean the water and gravel its like they do their best to make it gross as fast as possible.
mojo

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The gravel should be vacummed at least every 2 weeks. A lot of dirt settles into the gravel that you can't always see on top. I've always found a 30% or more if needed water change is best and I do that every week. I find the fish are the most active and happy right after a water change. Just because a fish CAN live in a small bowl or vase doesn't mean it should. A larger tank requires less maintainence and the water parameters stay more level. Also, the fish has more room to swim and play. I have heaters, filters and airstones in all my tanks as well as live plants which keep the water healthier, are safer for the fish and look more natural.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i know the fish need more space but my parents dont want to spend money on fish stuff when they have other things they need to spend it on :-\ i really cant do anything about it. Smiley

Beth191987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh my I never heard of someone putting their fish in the tub. that just makes me smile. I would think that there is that possibility of some chemical hurting them. But that kind of sounds cool having your fish swim in your tub lol.

Muffymouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They stay in the tank =)) Sir Gawain glares at me with the great betta glare and the others all move as far away as possible except for my corys, sometimes one of them will be brave and come check it out :

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom