Where do you live??? - Page 2

MamaM

I agree with Tan, I love this thread!  And there are so many things interesting in the UK & England!!!    I want to go to there again--I spent 2 days in England (Stanstead, London & Mildenhall!) and I so want to go back!!  I really loved it there, everyone was so nice, the food was great! I lived in Germany for 2 years and traveled the area a bit back in 89-90, and I so miss the European lifestyle!  My husband passed through England last week, and brought me home some "real" Earl Gray tea!!  So life is good!

Callum The Cat

OMG!!! snow we don't get snow where I live, I live in Victoria , Australia's in the middle of a long drought so it's mainly hot and rarely rains ;D Callum!

LilaBean

Still no snow in the northeast of the u.s. BRING IT ON!! We're so ready!! Lila

tan.b

well its looking like spring is on the way....a bit of sunshine today. here's some photos as promised, view from front of house is just of other houses, view from back is plot of land which backs onto our back garden which is going to be built on, starting monday (great...dust, noise, diggers, etc! >).
no nice views like you guys with mountains etc etc!!!! - quite flat and boring here!!
Tan

Also how do I make the picture appear smaller? its the size of the screen at the moment!

I try again! - here's the back of the house with the soon to be building site! its south facing which is great cos gets sun all day, however, not good for photo's as loads of glare, but you get the idea!! quite boring around here!

Butterfly

We went up into the mountains last weekend just to get away and to celebrate out 40th wedding anniversary. while we were there it snowed and we were snowed in until the next day which was ok since we didn't plan on coming home until that anyway Heres some pics of the mountains.

Then we woke up this mornig to this-

tan.b

butterfly, what are roads like when its bad snow? 10 yrs ago bad snow here in UK rarely caused problems as they got snowploughs and gritters out early to keep them clear. now a days because bad snow is much rarer they can't handle it all! the slighest sprinkle of snow brings gridlock and accidents as everything grinds to a halt until it melts!!!

LilaBean

in my opinion... they do a good job of cleaning the roads here when we get loads of snow, in Connecticut. but then people think that they can drive the same lightening speed, to get wherever it is they are hurrying off to. People forget to slow down becasue they don't know how, and every road and highway gets congested because we are all hurrying off somewhere! As long as you have some good tires and/or if you are crazy enough a nice big ass SUV that you pay more for gas to than your groceries--I love to drive in the snow, cauitiously of course. and I love to get snowed in and not go anywhere for days!! Sorry for rambling-- I like this thread. LILA

tan.b

everyone here tries to hurry and either gets stuck in the snow or they crash.
I love snow. i'm generally not a fan of winter...with wind and rain and ice, but snow I just love! I love walking in it and hearing it crunch under foot, I love driving in it too. we just don't get much here anymore. a few days maybe and only an inch or so. so far this year we haven't had any, and usually we get some in january. it has been known to snow in april though before, so there's time yet. last year we went on holiday up north for my sons birthday in mid march and it was chaos as the snow was really bad up there and the roads weren't cleared very well. fingers crossed. school hols soon so lets hope for snow when the kids are off! anyway, i'm rambling as usual! i'm just facinated about the other countries, especially the ones i've never been too such as USA and Australia!

atmmachine816

We get snow and there's always accidents even though our city dumps so much salt and plows the roads. It's like LilaBean said those people who don't think much that drive there huge suv's fast in bad conditions smash up small cars (no offense to anybody who has one, most people don't need them) We don't get any snow days really though even though we may get close to a foot of snow, we have a better chance of getting a cold day than snow, I'll try to get some more pictures of the US though they won't be as good as butterflys until I can go to the scenery places by me

Butterfly

I grew up in chicago and they get snow all the time and know how to prepare for it.
Gor the last 34 yrs we have lived in Georgia (deep south) and everybody panics at just the mention of snow but I love it. We really don't have the equipment to handle snow so everything slows down and people don't know how to drive in it. I ramble also
Carol

tan.b

lilabean...a whole new thread could be just about people in unsuitable cars! at school loads of people have big 4x4 jeeps and pick up trucks (I think that's what you guys call suv and the aussies call yute?) and they live in a housing estate with an office job and do the school run. they really don't need them!! it annoys me as they also don't know how to drive them or park them. they don't ever go off road!!! there's one a few doors down from me and he drives thru the estate fast and kids play around here so that concerns me. bull bars are another pet hate of mine. they are also unneccesary and should they hit someone they can make the difference between someone surviving and not. anyway, rant over. sorry for the rant! >

atmmachine816

That's what my dad feels tan.b We have a neigbor who nees one because he does the yardwork and shoveling driveway things but they his wife has a big escalade pickup I think it is and all she does is drive to work, and the funny thing they can't fit them in their garage

butterfly my sister was just talking about that because her friend is moving to atlanta soon because her dad is now going to be the coach of the special teams of the altanta sea hawks I think right?

tan.b

atm: my friend has one too and she can't drive it! her husbands idea. she hates it!! she has to get my husband to reverse it out of our driveway for her!! she can't go to the supermarket cos she can't park it anywhere! what's the point?! AND she works in an office so mainly uses it to drive to the train station!! rant over!! >

dazzler

well, I ride a motorcycle sooo... no comment on anything bigger than a mini. anyways back to the original thread after checking all these photos out. I will have to blow you away with scenes from new zealand. I will be there in the first week of march for my sisters wedding and attempt to showcase my wonderful little country( I think it fits into texas something like 12 times) and ,well, now I live in australia with over 7000 beaches and 7 of the worlds top 10 deadliest snakes ( I won't mention spiders this time) so as soon as I can I will post photos. I live in kurnell a humble little community of 3 odd thousand with 14 streets its the birthplace of modern australia is it is where captain cook first landed. we live 9 kms about 5miles away from anyone else on a 1 road in 1 road out penisula to botany harbour. not to mention we are in the worst drought in 100 years so send your rain my way please.

regards dazzler

MamaM

I don't mean to whine, but it's really, really COLD here lately!!!  (Tom, you're only a few hours N of me, so I know you can relate!)  I'm a Minnesota girl, but maybe I lived in FL too long!!    Here are the current temps (taken off the local TV station's site) all in Fahrenheit:

Current Conditions
GRAND FORKS, ND
Conditions: Fair
Temperature: -19° F
Dewpoint: -23
Relative Humidity: 81
Wind: North 0
Pressure: 30.53

Thank goodness for no wind!  Please send all your warm thoughts this way! 
Sharon

tan.b

its a virtual world tour!! its as close to travelling the world as i'm gonna get....just bought a new fish tank (first signs of mts creeping in....any cures yet?) so i'm broke again! I would love to go to new zealand. if I could go anywhere in the world it would be the maldives and australia and new zealand. my top 3 places. so when dazzler gets his photos on here I will be so jealous!! UK is so boring!! even the weather is boring! 2 degree C this morn, but blue skies and sunny, so should warm up a bit soon! I can kinda sympathise with mamaM as I hate the cold. give me heat anyday! anyway, we need more round the world pictures to cheer me up!! i'm sure kerry would be impressed too!! ;D

LilaBean

anxiously awaiting the pics of new zealand, dazzler, you teased us!! !!
Current Conditions
GRAND FORKS, ND
Conditions: Fair
Temperature: -19° F
Dewpoint: -23
Relative Humidity: 81
Wind: North 0
Pressure: 30.53
I thought 8 degrees was cold-- i'm so sorry for you-- I too hate the cold-- it makes me lazy!! LILA

kerryve

lilabean...a whole new thread could be just about people in unsuitable cars! at school loads of people have big 4x4 jeeps and pick up trucks (I think that's what you guys call suv and the aussies call yute?) and they live in a housing estate with an office job and do the school run. they really don't need them!! it annoys me as they also don't know how to drive them or park them. they don't ever go off road!!! there's one a few doors down from me and he drives thru the estate fast and kids play around here so that concerns me. bull bars are another pet hate of mine. they are also unneccesary and should they hit someone they can make the difference between someone surviving and not. anyway, rant over. sorry for the rant!  >

In South Africa, here in Randburg, every rich person has a SUV, they all drive RANGE ROVERS, HUMMERS, they really like the Nissan Navaras and these huge cars, but like you said they never go anywhere near off road - they call it the concrete jungle here in the city because every one whos anyone or wants to be anyone drives a SUV! its so silly! My father and brother both own landrovers but they actually go out to the Kruger National Park, I posted pics of an elephant in another post, when we were there.
they drive up your rear and flash for you to move out of the fast lane, they terrors on the road!

dazzler

my flat mate just got back from new zealand today I will raid her camera soon. as for SUV's. we here call them city tractors. or in my case view blockers as I ride a big motorcycle can't see over them or through them. baahumbug...

tan.b

good to know i'm not the only one who hates these "TRUCKS". I have no problem with labourer's/farmers/landscapers etc having one, but those who have one just for the sake of it clogging up the roads is just silly!
so dazzler.............these pics then.............we're all waiting...........the suspense!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way......weather update.............we have snow!!!!! ;Dabout half an inch, but snow all the same!! snowed all yesterday, but too wet to settle, then last night it got to about minus 3 degrees celcius, so the snow settled!! down south they got heavy snow and did they moan!!! they don't usually get any, yet yesterday they got the worst of it!!! ha ha!! schools and airports shut down for the day.

dazzler

just went through my flatmates camera. full of wedding photos

you will just have to wait sorry guys but very soon I will post photos of my tank.my friend came round and took photos of it today will emailme them then I wil post FOR THE WORLD TO SEE!!!

regards dazzler

Gwenz

Tan, I was looking at that pic of where u live. Do u live on a redrow estate because it looks like my estate and I live on a redrow estate, and u know what they're like they make them all virtualy the same. Was just wondring.

The snow we had here thursday and friday was amazing. 2 days off school yay!!

Ill try to get pics but they say it was the most snow we've had in 10 years!! It was really cool!! although we didnt get much where we lived but still amzing. it snowed non-stop from 8:30 in the morning till about 1ish on friday.!! Never seen it like that before. We had about 4-6" of snow.

Everyone panicks when we get snow here, but my mum was saying that her boss comes from canada and saw us all panicking about a few inches of snow and didn't know what all the fuss was about, but I suppose sh's used to a lot more snow. lol

Gwenz

P.S. - Ill try to get pics of the snow posted soon!

tan.b

gwenz, funnily enough its not redrow! there's not many redrow ones around here that I can think of. its a company called haslam homes that built these about 6 years ago. i'd never heard of them til I moved in! i'm the 2nd owner of this house and I moved in 2yrs ago. its mainly barratt and persimmon who build houses around here although wimpey have just started on a development down the road. they do all look the same though! barratt use wooden windows and persimmon use uPVC and barratt supply a gas fire in the lounge whereas persimmon dont. (we looked around a lot of newish houses before we bought this one!!) other than that..they're all about the same! anyway..........I ramble!!!

our sprinkle of snow has gone! bet your mums boss wouldnt be sympathetic to anyone not turning up to work cos of snow!!!!!!!!! 2 days off school can't be bad!!! when I was at school it was just a few afternoons here and there! not 2 full days!!!

you're in wales aren't you? are you in the mountains, or did wales just get a lot of snow like birmingham and london etc did?

Isabella

All of your pictures are so beautiful!

I live in NY, Long Island (almost the city). And NYC as well as Long Island are not that beautiful, or at least not half as beautiful as your places are. So I don't really have any scenic pictures to show off from NYC and LI. But I do have very nice photos of Upstate New York, where I go every summer. I also have nice pictures from Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains, where I also go every once in a while. I want to move out of NY one day, or at least move far away from the city, into some quiet place with lakes and mountains Lastly, I have some really cool pictures from Amsterdam, where some of our friends live. My sister went there a while ago and she brought these beautiful photos. I love Amsterdam and want to go there one day.

The first 3 pictures show Upstate New York. The second 2 pictures show Pennsylvania's Poconos. And the third 3 pictures show Amsterdam's tulip fields and parks as well as one mill from a village full of them. Enjoy

Gwenz

They are really nice pictures Isabella.

Tan, Those really did look like my street, but like you said they all do look the same. Yea, 2 days off school was brilliant, but it had to happen the year my sister goes to unI didn't it. > That meant I didn't have anyone to go out in the snow with and it wasn't as fun as it could have been, but it was still great!!

Yes I am in wales. I'm not exactly in the mountains, just at the bottom of one actually but we did get quite a lot of snow though.

Gwenz

tan.b

wow isabella! those snaps are lovely! I like the tulip river. I guess you have to time your holiday to amsterdam well to catch everything in bloom!

how far is upstate new york from the city? I had no idea how beautiful new york can be! I just hear the words new york and think of apartments and offices and sky scrapers and the set of "friends"! - as you can tell...i've never been to the US!

gwenz.....still got any snow? - you show off!!!!!!!!!!!!l ol ;D. only jealous cos we havent!!!

Gwenz

No, no snow left now. Not fair. But still it was good to have some.

Gwenz

atmmachine816

Hey Isabella how's your 12' of snow, or do you not have that?

LilaBean

We are suppose to be getting a snow storm this wednesday/Valentines Day!! hurry up already-- we are so spoiled and as soon as the snow comes we will complain and want summer and warmer weather, it really has been a mild winter, but I love snow anyways!! I CAN'T WAIT TO GET SNOWED IN AND POST SOME PICS OF IT FINALLY!!!! lila Isabella I love the 3rd upstate ny pic with the sum rays!!! ooooo, sooooo beautiful!!!!

Isabella

wow isabella! those snaps are lovely! I like the tulip river. I guess you have to time your holiday to amsterdam well to catch everything in bloom!

how far is upstate new york from the city? I had no idea how beautiful new york can be! I just hear the words new york and think of apartments and offices and sky scrapers and the set of "friends"! - as you can tell...i've never been to the US!

Tan, New York State is beautiful. It is only the city that sucks in terms of natural landscapes. New York City is composed of 5 Boroughs: Staten Island, Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn. These 5 boroughs make up New York City. To the East of NYC, there is Long Island. A lot of people consider Long Island part of NYC too because it's right next to it and it's small (compared to the rest of the state). But when you look at New York State map, you'll see that New York is a very large state, and that NYC and Long Island are but a very tiny part of the sate. It is really only NYC where all you see are buildings and not a speck of natural landscape. But when you go outside NYC, into the Upstate are, the state is very beautiful

As for the skyscrapers, they're only in Manhattan (Remember that Manhattan is only one Borough).

Look at this New York State map: Look at its Southern tip, and look at the 5 Boroughs I mentioned above. Suffolk and Nassau are parts of Long Island. So ... this is all basically the city. ALL THE REST, above that tiny Southern tip, is where real New York is Well ... unless you like to live in a congested city with no trees, grass, large parks, etc ... then you'll love NYC, lol.

Hey Isabella how's your 12' of snow, or do you not have that?

Atm, we don't have it yet. It's supposed to snow tomorrow (Tuesday). Supposedly, it's going to be a large winter storm ... which I don't mind because I love snow

atmmachine816

O so you don't live in that part that got it, lucky I guess. 12' is a lottt.

Ya were supposed to get a storm tuesday and wednesday, maybe snow day or/and early dismissal

Isabella

No, NYC and LI have no snow as of now. It's upstate that's got a lot of snow, specially Oswego. Like I said, we're supposed to have snow tomorrow. We'll see ...

dazzler

here is something you don't see everyday but we saw it for a bit. also this is a new zealand sunset

the comet is called mcnaught and was visiting us end of jan. more coming soon hope the jpeg is not to big
regards Dazzler

tan.b

dazzler, that picture is fantastic! - we never get to see comets here cos its always cloudy!!

isabella, its easy to forget just how big the US is and therefore how big each state / borough is with the UK being so tiny in comparison! - and yes I did think manhattan is part of new york! - one day when i'm rich I'll go round australia, new zealand and the US including the carribean, but until then, europe is as far as we'll be going! those far away places are just dreams for now!!

my stepdad is supposed to be flying to the uk from the carribean via new york (seems a long way round to me, but that's the MOD for you!) this week and they were wondering if it will happen now cos we heard 8" snow forcast for NY. - keep us posted on the snow situation! we won't be getting anymore for a while now. just rain! how dull!

LilaBean

what a gorgeous picture!!

atmmachine816

That's cool Dazzler, I think 8 years ago or something my parents woke me up to watch a bunch of falling stars kinda like a comet.

O wasn't sure where it was hitting Isabella.

We got two feet of snow yesterday and today, been shoveling.

Isabella

WOW .... You're so lucky to have such beautiful views Dazzler

Atm ... we got some snow today, but not 12" lol I think it's 6" or so. It's probably going to melt fast, as always.

atmmachine816

O you didn't get hit as bad by the storm as we did I guess, we got 18"+ now, it'l probably be here for awhile. Maybe I can get some pictures, we have two huge piles of snow on our street since we live in a cauldasac sp.

rip_van_winkle

Right now, we have a total of about 2ft of snow. I heard that somewhere in New England its up to their roofs. Oh, by the way I live in New England, USA too, but in a differant state .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishfriendof315
Replies
Views
juniperlea
Replies
Views
mrnegi
Replies
Views