Where do you like to shop?

1. orandagal Member Member

Hi Everyone,
    Just thought I would post about my experience with some online shopping. I don't buy very much on line, but being new to a larger aqaurium, and finally understanding what I'm doing, there were some products that I needed to buy. Normally I visit my LFS, but have noticed the last couple of times I bought products (cycle-for example) it was expired and I had to return it. I recently purchased a new bottle of Cycle, Prime, and freeze dried Krill from Aquariumguys.com and was really please with the time frame for receiving my items from them, the products had a long expiration date on them, and the prices on the ordered items were extremely resonable. I also like to order from Liveaquaria.com (Fosters/Smith). My first experience with live plants from them and they arrived alive, with plenty of roots and the majority of them are still alive. (Yes, a few of them didn't make it after a month or so, but I can live with that.) I also like Amazon.com, my new filter is coming from them and I have never had a problem with anything I order from them. And last but not least, Petco.com where I bought my aquarium (on sale) :)
    All in all, my online shopping experiences with these four sites has been extremely good and I will continue from now on to shop there vs. my LFS. Where have you had good experiences at?

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I generally speaking do not buy things on-line. Being in Los Angeles, I can pretty much find anything I want here locally. We have a few specialty aquarium shops for both salt water and freshwater. We have the Petco and Petsmart and Centinella Pet and Feed. The gas is a lot less than paying for shipping and I like to be able to check the product when I purchase it instead of relying on somebody else. Besides, there are better sales at the local stores than there are on line. I rarely if ever buy anything on-line and especially not fish.

3. stashattack Member Member

I love love love Amazon.com for all things, especially for finding tank equipment. The best thing is Amazon Prime, no shipping costs on all Prime items and they ship in two days :) Of course this is something you have to pay for, $35 bucks a year... you would end up spending that much or more anyway if you consistently used amazon so it's completely worth it in my opinion.

That being said, amazon doesn't always have what you are looking for. I supplement amazon with my LFS. There is one that is like 15 minutes from my house, A Pecto a block from work, and two Petsmarts within fifteen minutes in either direction from my work (I have found Petsmart to be better stocked and cleaner than Pecto). There is also a great fish store about 1.5hrs from me that stocks a great variety of fish.

4. Lupinus Member Member

Most of my online shopping is done at amazon.com. being a prime member makes it even better, usually get a slight discount and two day shipping and one day is only like four bucks more.

I buy from others as well but its usually the first place I look. Even make some spare cash on their turk site.

5. Slug Well Known Member Member

I shop sitting on my behind, looking at a screen and clicking my mouse. For pretty much everything. With very few exceptions, if it can be brought to my door....I'm all for it. Pretty much every fish I have was shipped to me, and even 1 of my aquariums.

Kensfish.com is my go to spot first and foremost for supplies and food.

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

kensfish.com is great! I go to them for just about all my stuff. I also buy from other fishlore members.

7. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

I normally like to shop locally.... If I can't find anything I want, I just got to Petco and Petsmart

8. gourami88 Member Member

My top two are aquariumguys.com and kensfish.com . Made multiple purchases from both and have yet to have any issues. AquariumGuys in particular have excellent prices and a great selection!

I do try to buy local, but my LFS is a 45 minute drive away and living on an island makes it hard to get to any other stores (not to mention expensive when you figure in about $20 round trip just for the ferry, plus gas and food!).

9. jbdub Member Member

For the (rare) Irish member on this forum, this is a competitive site:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/fish
    I'd be curious as to how it compares to its US counterparts

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I buy LOTS of things online. For fish stuff, it's either ebay, amazon, foster and smith or big al's. Depends on what I need, and there are often pretty big price differences.

For everything else, amazon is the first place I look, and often the last :) I used to buy on ebay a lot but now it's just flooded with the same stuff. I recently bought something on hayneedle.com - seems to be like amazon, only most of the stuff is free shipping.

11. orandagal Member Member

I'll have to check out the site listed: kensfish.com (never heard of them) I am always checking out sites that will give a good deal. And as long as I hear good things about them I'm all for it :) Thanks!

12. Slug Well Known Member Member

Ken's usually has lower prices then anyone else on most things. Sponge filters, heaters, etc. Or if its not lower its pretty darn close. He ships very fast.

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Kens also makes some great food. I like supporting them, buy there whenever I can.

14. greenbeanette Member Member

I've done Amazon, Petco, Big Al's and Dr. Foster and Smith. I love Dr. Foster! Placed an order for meds yesterday and they arrived today! As Jaysee said it depends on the product, since prices can vary greatly, you've got to look around for the best price for that particular thing.

15. Borisbbadd Guest

16. orandagal Member Member

Thanks all, you've given me so more sites to check out. Greatly appreciated :)

17. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

I order almost everything from amazon.com

18. Piratefreak07 Initiate Member

I order the smaller things from amazon.com. I got my breeder box, net, and a few other things from amazon.com. I bought my filter from PetSmart.com though. They were having a special on Marineland filters and another brand, so I bought a Marineland. :)