Where Do You Like To Get Your Plants?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cody2posh, May 18, 2018.

1. cody2posh

cody2poshValued MemberMember

So I absolutely love heavily planting my tanks. I can't begin to describe how therapeutic and enjoyable it is for me to sculpt an environment, stock it with flora and fauna, and then watch this living piece of art grow and flourish. I'm sure many of you feel the same way, which is how we all found our way here.

Now that I'm getting a little more experienced in the hobby, I was wondering where some of you like to get your plants? What are some things you wish you had known when first starting off with planted tanks? What are some of your favorite plants, exotic or otherwise?

Also I'm currently looking for some floating plants to toss into my tank just to help give a bit more of a natural shade to the lower levels of the tank (I started with 5 small pieces of Dwarf Sag and now have probably about 25-30 small bushes that have shot up all within the last 3 days) to try to help slow the vertical growth of my carpeting plants there without me trimming the entire thing twice a week -_-
    Anything you guys would recommend? If anyone on here sells floating plants I'd love to patron a fellow hobbyist vs an online store (my LFSs only floating plants is hornwort which I'll never touch again)

Thanks for your input
    - Cody

2. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

I have found that the buy/sell section of forums like this are great to find great plants. I have picked up quite a few lately from several different members on this and another forum. For example, I have an awesome huge red tiger lotus to plant as the centerpiece plant in my 125g I snagged from @jmaldo recently. It is absolutely gorgeous and something I would never find at a fish store or even online at that size.

My local club, Atlanta Area Aquarium Association, has also been a resource where I have traded plants with members as well as auctions they hold. Aside from that, online sources such as Trinsfish, Aquatic Arts, and even Amazon are great places to find those plants your local fish store doesn't carry.

Instead of floating plants, I seem to prefer plants that grow tall and lay over on the top like jungle val, rotala, anacharis. Frogbit, water lettuce, etc. are pretty good.

3. emmysjj

emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

Buce Plant :)

4. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdamsWell Known MemberMember

I got my plants from BucePlant.com and they came super nice. They weren't damaged, they were vacuum sealed and there were no snails

5. Mike1995

Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

plantedaquariumscentral.com
    very nice plants. arrived very well packaged and got to my house within 2 days of being shipped with just standard shipping. They actually gave me some extra plants the second time i ordered.

6. Baba

BabaWell Known MemberMember

Your approach will backfire. If you reduce light, the plants will try to reach it and will show elevated vertical growth. ;)

7. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Agree with @tfreema
    The Buy, Sell, Trade, Free
    is my #1 place to get plants. I have purchased, traded and sold plants. If you want Quality, Quantity and of course as a bonus Pricing. Look no further. I am very pleased with everything. My #2 is my local fish club.
    My #3 is Trinsfish. Never been disappointed. I like Frogbit for floating but it can take over a tank.
    Thanks @tfreema for the kind words.
    By the way I should have more plants in a few weeks.
    Happy "Underwater Gardening" and Good Luck.

Last edited: May 19, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice