Where do you get your fish?

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to drive 120 miles (round trip) to Petsmart, crossing my fingers, while they're attached to my steering wheel. I've tried calling ahead of time, to ask about a certain kind of fish. They don't know what they're receiving. I do understand that. It's not as if they placed an order for a dozen eggs. My heart goes out to Petsmart employees. It's not their fault. My 120 mile round trip Petsmart no longer even carries Harlequin Rasboras. It's all goldfish, oscars, sharks, cichlids, bettas. Calculate your mpg and cost per gallon and ask yourself why you gamble. My LFS is excellent, but often orders specific fish, yet sometimes has a great deal of difficulty getting what she ordered. Where do you get your fish?

peanutbutter12

Reaction score
I got mine at PetSmart too, but one of mine had an unknown disease that went away with time. I had a similar problem. The nearest store to me didn’t have the albino cories that I wanted, but you can check online if they have them in stock. PetSmart also does overnight delivery of fish but that’s 30$ per order for shipping and handling... but that might be cheaper depending what kind of car you drive.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I get my fish from only one store(local LFS), the Petco has dead and not the best quality fish. I ask to order special fish(at LFS) but they can't get it in sometimes.

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mostly the Petcos near me, sometimes the LFS's but they tend to be expensive and I rarely buy from Petsmart because every fish I've gotten there has died (except for my bn pleco and betta).

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a very good LFS that I go to. It orders fish for me if I want, puts a list onto their website every Thursday of the fish they got on that day. The only fish they don't seem to be able to get me are more gobies, I've been waiting months. I avoid chain stores entirely. Nowhere near as good as the two "proper" fish shops I have access to.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My LFS is wonderful. She often orders unusual fish. One day, I walked in and saw these strange looking eel-life gold things. I fell in love and asked her what they were..... Golden Dojo loaches, she said and added that she'd been trying to get them for a long time and even she can't get them! I bought three.... not cheap, but they're my favorite fish in my 75g. Really, what is a loach? Loach brings to mind leech.... yet those fish make me laugh every single day......

Fishymom64

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I get mine from the peco near me (it’s really huge) because they seem to have really healthy fish and a good variety. The pet supermarket’s fish all seem to be dead or sick.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Dojo loaches aren't very unusual if you look at african butterfly fish.... had some in the other day wish I could get them...
Dojo loaches are very unusual in NE Iowa (US).... go online and try to find a dojo loach in NE Iowa and southern MN.

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
juniperlea said:
Dojo loaches are very unusual in NE Iowa (US).... go online and try to find a dojo loach in NE Iowa and southern MN.
They have dojo loaches at some Petcos and the LFS's near me (in MN). If you're willing to come this far north I'm sure you could find some more easily.

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have at least five very good local shops between 5-45 minutes from me. Along with a PetSmart and Petco which i rarely visit. I've mailed fish before, saltwater ones as shipping is expensive. Wetspot tropical has an amazing selection but i've never used them.

FishGirly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Generally I get them at my local Fish shop. For bettas though, I go to Petco. They seem to have the best ones. The bettas in pet supermarket/PetSmart/ and my local fish farm always look dreadful.
Pet Supermarket also has some good options and I haven’t had any problems with diseases on the fish that I’ve bought.

Fljoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve gotten all my fish from pet smart and pet supplies plus! All are happy and healthy with no losses! However...
The last couple times I went into both stores, they had dead and sick looking fish. I found out that PSP changed suppliers just before the decline. I’ve also heard that most LPS in the area use the same suppliers?
So this weekend I drove a half hour to the closest fish shop! Same thing, dead fish.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Best fish I ever got came from AquaBid ...
You should atleast give it a look..Every seller has reviews or is new !
No driving , easy math on MPG !

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
juniperlea said:
I have to drive 120 miles (round trip) to Petsmart, crossing my fingers, while they're attached to my steering wheel. I've tried calling ahead of time, to ask about a certain kind of fish. They don't know what they're receiving. I do understand that. It's not as if they placed an order for a dozen eggs. My heart goes out to Petsmart employees. It's not their fault. My 120 mile round trip Petsmart no longer even carries Harlequin Rasboras. It's all goldfish, oscars, sharks, cichlids, bettas. Calculate your mpg and cost per gallon and ask yourself why you gamble. My LFS is excellent, but often orders specific fish, yet sometimes has a great deal of difficulty getting what she ordered. Where do you get your fish?
Holy cow that sucks.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Brizburk said:
Holy cow that sucks.
This is why I get frustrated when people ask what kind of fish they should stock. Where do these people live? I refuse to take what I can get. It has to be online, but I'm frightened about buying online, because my first venture into buying www, I ordered a Skunk cory and received an Otisperonatus. It took months to even identify him. He's a lonely Otisperonatus! Thankfully, he has a mirror as a backdrop.

Rcslade124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I only buy from petco around me. Petsmart isnt too bad. My lfs is horrible I tried and now have ich and lost 11 fish in 24 hrs. There's supposed to be a nice one about 45 mins from me havent ventured yet. But online is where I got my apistogramma. From aquabid and they are healthy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom