Where Do You Get Cheap Aquarium Decorations From

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I currently have a bare bottom tank that I will be adding black sand to soon, to try and get a deep sand bed/plenum going. I would leave it at that, but my girl really wants some decorations in there. Are there good places to look in particular to find good looking, quality ones on the cheap? I'm talking like plastic plants (not real ones), sunken ships, that kind of stuff. Obviously the pet shops have some (but looked at Petsmart the other night and WOW they are expensive), amazon, Wal-Mart, etc. as well. I'm just wondering if there is any "hidden gem" places to look. Flea markets?

Would also like some big cool looking rocks - for example when I was a kid I had a big piece of lava rock that was standing up that had a hole in the center - it looked cool, provided a hiding place for fish, and also helped support lots of beneficial bacteria.

Thanks for any suggestions!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I get all my stuff off Amazon. I find the stuff from over seas is much cheaper but takes a week or 2 to get .

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
actually! You may have a lot of cool fish safe stuff around your own house. One of my current decors is a tea pot shaped like an octopus!

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Use clay pots from Home Depot, they're dirt cheap and you can paint them or what have you.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Online, try Dr. Fosters and Smith.

I have gotten a few tank decorations and artificial caves (among a lot of other stuff) from them for good prices on sale.

Last edited:

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As for larger rocks just go outside and get some. Some test it with vinegar to see if it is fish safe. I have never done it myself but I know most do. Just clean them off with water and I toss them in my tank. I also get them from areas like lakes and streams. Just make sure they aren't close to where someone may have sprayed with chemicals.

DeniseF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ebay - I bought a whole load of fake plants - enough to fill 3 tanks! for £15. I put them in really hot water, soaked them and rinsed before I used them, you do have to be careful though and look at all the pictures on the listing.

TeamRandrus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Petsmart Black Friday always has good sales (I know that’s in the past)

But if you watch their sales you can get good prices!

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Definitely get that lava rock! Aside from the benefits you already mentioned, if the store sells it by pound, that stuff is really inexpensive. All that porosity means a lighter weight so you end up getting more bang for your buck.

EDIT: oh yeah, if you're the artistic type, I've heard that polymer clay (Sculpey, etc) is tank-safe once baked. You could make your own decorations... though if it's on the larger side it may be easier (sometimes cheaper) to pay for the store bought thing.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom