Where do you buy your slate & sponge filters

Plumkin

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So since I'm setting up my 30 gallon and my 10 gallon for my angelfish fry when they grow up and need bigger tanks I been looking for sponge filter and a breeding slater for my angels but I been on a few sites and the slate 2.50 then the sponge 4.00 then the shipping is 20.00... like what the heck? so if you guys could help me i'd greatly appreciate it!

thanks!

~Plumkin ^w^

darrellg1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Plumkin said:
So since I'm setting up my 30 gallon and my 10 gallon for my angelfish fry when they grow up and need bigger tanks I been looking for sponge filter and a breeding slater for my angels but I been on a few sites and the slate 2.50 then the sponge 4.00 then the shipping is 20.00... like what the heck? so if you guys could help me i'd greatly appreciate it!

thanks!

~Plumkin ^w^
Hello over here myself I use ebay and I get (JAD SPONGE FILTERS WHICH ARE £8-£9 EACH AND FREE SHIPPING they are top sponge filters and work perfectly for all my breeding tanks and for my fry tanks I use JAD 102 SPONGE FILTERS which are smaller).
Or you could make your own which ive found I spent £20.00 and made 6 large sponge filters and they work perfectly over the weekend ill put up a picture or small video of how I made them if you like?

I also buy breeding cones for my angels on ebay and they are @ £9 each free delivery but once againg you could also go to your local diy store and by some pvc tubing and cut it down to 10inches long and and use sucksion clips to clip it in to and then attach it to the side of the tank which will work wonders to the clips are just the same as used on the heaters insdie your tanks.
These are just a few suggestions of mine whaich I do but I'm sure you will get lots of responses from all the angelfish lovers here with diffrent methods and cheaper alternatives for you.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have always made my own sponge filters. Cheap & simple.

Pool table makers are my favourite source of slate. They always have off cuts & are usually only too happy to give them to you if you ask nicely. They have to pay to get rid of them otherwise.

Danni

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can get those things at Ken'sfish.com and choose priority mail shipping. He gives you a few options and it's pretty reasonable.
I get my sponge filters from him and he has breeding slates.

I have slate in my tanks since I like the look. I used stone tile that we bought for our kitchen. It does have to be pure untreated stone. You can get it at home stores and buy just one tile and cut it which is what we did. It breaks as well but you would have to file down some edges.

New Threads