Where Do You Buy Your Fish?

1. myerlemons

myerlemons Valued Member Member

I'm fairly new to fishkeeping. I'm restarting one of my old tanks from when I was a kid, and I was wondering- where are the best places to buy fish? I don't really have a good LFS. All we have where I live is Petco and Petsmart, which is fine for common species (like bettas, goldfish, guppies, a lot of tetras, etc) but not so good for CPDs, inverts, and the like. I know that sites like LiveAquaria and Aquatic Arts are popular. What's your experience with them? Are there reliable sites/breeders/places you recommend for harder to find species?

2. S

SKYE.__.HIGH Valued Member Member

If you could I would go out of town to a LFS. But if you can't I would go with liveaquaria but usually The company will always have a "arrive alive" guaranty\refund.

3. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

If ordering online I'd recommend using a place that is physically closer to you rather than across the country... My only real negative results ordering online were when I assumed that overnight was still overnight even if it meant a long flight. The seller still was awesome about it and did solidly make up for the losses but I will in the future order closer to home regardless.

4. Angelfishlover123124125

Angelfishlover123124125 Valued Member Member

I don't have any good local fish stores and i can't order online because none of them are in the country where i live so i just wait untill i find a breeder.

5. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

my pet store..he takes real good care of fishes. one betta in 10 gallons, 2 goldies in 40, betta sororities in 30 etc

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

The good LFS closed, the other LFS sucks. All of my fish except for my GBR are from the local Petcos/PetSmarts. I honestly don't care where I buy them from if they're healthy.

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

If you live in a city, look for an aquarium club. You will find local breeders of very cool fish there - a great resource. The fish are generally much higher quality than anything in the chain stores.

8. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

There's a place near were I live that you can order fish online and in store called that fish place. They usually have waaaay more than your average fish store. Actual rows and rows dedicated to different types of fish. A lot of times they get some pretty hard to find or rare fish too. Check them out online