Where do they go?

Jynx
I've had 2 fish disappear from my 55 gallon tank about 6-8 months apart. There's been no sign AT ALL of either of them. And one was there for the morning feeding, when I went to feed them in the evening, I was watching them, and noticed that she was gone. One was a black molly, the other was a gold platy. I cleaned the tank within days of the disappearances, making sure to lift everything up and look under the stuff, and to this day, still nothing.

Where do they go?

~Jynx

voiceless_kat
I've had 2 fish disappear from my 55 gallon tank about 6-8 months apart. There's been no sign AT ALL of either of them. And one was there for the morning feeding, when I went to feed them in the evening, I was watching them, and noticed that she was gone. One was a black molly, the other was a gold platy. I cleaned the tank within days of the disappearances, making sure to lift everything up and look under the stuff, and to this day, still nothing.

Where do they go?

~Jynx

I had that happen to me once also, in my 55g. I pulled everything, including the filter, and found no sign. The book "Aquariums for Dummies" had a funny paragraph about that, saying that fish are the only thing that can self destruct in such a short time. Actually, I think they are someone's dinner, as icky as that sounds. But for sure a mystery. ( Perhaps just another ploy to make us crazy???)

Val

sirdarksol
Did you check behind the tank?
For that matter, do you have any other animals in the house?
Sometimes a fish will jump out of the back, and if there are animals in the house, they can get snatched up pretty quickly (animals' sense of smell amazes me. My kuhlI loaches can smell their shrimp pellets within seconds of the things hitting the water.)

susitna-flower
:;z If you have any shrimp in the tank, they for sure will make short work of a ........dead body.....I had a platy die in one tank and it was just a skeleton by morning...

COBettaCouple
It's the fish aliens! :helpsmilie:

sirdarksol
That's your answer for everything.

COBettaCouple
.. they got an oto and 4 platy fry from us. It's really a mystery how these fish can just disappear and never be seen again. Our oto was in a tank with 4 other otos.. never found any trace of him at all.

sirdarksol
I've lost two otos. I may have also lost a kuhli, but since I'm not about to tear up every hiding place, that's not too odd.

Jynx
No shrimp in the tank. We do have other animals in the house, but they can't get behind the tank.

At least I'm not the only one this has happened to! I thought maybe the same gnome that hides my remote, and only takes one of the pair of socks away had something to do with it!

~Jynx

Allie
No shrimp in the tank. We do have other animals in the house, but they can't get behind the tank.

At least I'm not the only one this has happened to! I thought maybe the same gnome that hides my remote, and only takes one of the pair of socks away had something to do with it!

~Jynx
I honestly think the other fish in the tank eat them. I had a bunch of bronzed cories in a tank & the smaller, not too much smaller either started to disappear. One morning I came out to find one munching on a body.

mrsmuffin
I just set up a 30 gallon that my brother had stopped using. I can't tell you how many fishes worth of bones I took out when I was cleaning the gravel to re-use. (I really liked the gravel, or I would have just gone out and bought more - it was pretty nasty!) Of course, he says that the gravel had not been pulled out since 1994 and he had it set up and stocked most of that time...

Angela_96
I had an otto missing from a tank and I honestly think that my cat got it... but yea check behind your tank..

ninilie
I'm sad just yesterday I noticed my male yellow snakskin guppy was missing. I did a w/c the day before and he was present and accounted for. I looked in filter in the gravel and under ornaments nothing. I sure hope one of the females drops his babies though he didnt seem to chase as much as the other two males.

COBettaCouple
I hope he turns up ok somehow, but sorry to hear that he's disappeared.

kra-z-fishmumm
.. they got an oto and 4 platy fry from us. It's really a mystery how these fish can just disappear and never be seen again. Our oto was in a tank with 4 other otos.. never found any trace of him at all.

yep yep...had 4 otos one night all there an accounted for, the next morning 3! looked everywhere. Do oto jump? I looked around the tank, but didn't find anything TG!

vin
Ever hear of "Spontaneous Combustion??"

Munny
I hate when that happens. I lost a Pleco once. It just flat out disappeared. Not behind the tank, no animals to eat it, it just vanished. Geez, that brings back some memories LOL.

Rainsong
I had a Danio seemingly do that... found it weeks later as partial... stuff. Maybe the ghost shrimp were keeping it as dinner *gag*

Had some other fish do it over the years too, only thing I could figure is they jumped and became snacks, since we've always had cats.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishnturtleguy933
Replies
Views
Sacksteder kid
Replies
Views
wexy
Replies
Views