Where do i put my quarantine tank?

1. Harrison Member Member

is it a seperate tank or is it somehow attached or????/

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

its a separate tank that usually doesn't contain live plants or a lot of substrate. It is designed kinda like a hospital, easy to clean and sterilize while making its inhabitants semi comfortable for their stay. I highly recommend fake plants and plastic caves and a very shallow gravel bed for them so that they are easy to deal with should a disease break out.

3. Harrison Member Member

What size tank are we talking? would it be an idea to keep a cleaner shrimp in there 2?

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

A qt can be about anything I have seen them from 1gal to 20gal. I wouldn't worry about the cleaners personally, usually people don't have fish in QT more than 3 weeks unless something happened. You also don't have to keep the tank running, stick the filter on your main tank in between uses of the QT tank.

5. Harrison Member Member

Im confused dont i have too keep its water type the same as my main tank??

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

to a point, what water type are you referring to as far as type? Really for a QT you just want to keep the fish isolated from the main tank to watch for disease or defects that could case harm to your main tank.

7. Harrison Member Member

i mean like nitrate and ph level thought they had to be the same and im thinking of using the QT to introduce new arrivals so i can ensure they cause no harm ??

8. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

QT's are not attached to the main tank, that would defeat the purpose of not introducing pest/disease into the main tank.

You have to acclimate the fish to the QT tank and then after a few weeks or when ready, acclimate them to the display tank.

9. Harrison Member Member

Cheers mike i understand it all now as i read the article on saltwater QT's on the main fishlore website lol

10. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Ok, glad to help.