Where Do I Get A Cockatiel

Lizzy23

I want to adopt a cockatiel instead of buying one from a pet store but I can't find anything in B.C to adopt one I want to be able to meet with the bird before I adopt it because I want the bird to pick me as well and not just me picking the bird. if anyone knows anything please let me know cause I can't find anything.

aosuna11

Try craigslist. facebook groups sometimes have some, and so do local shelters for animals.

or you can take mine

Nah I wouldn't trade a million bucks for em. They do get noisy and poop A LOT, so get ready for that.

smee82

I got mine as a baby from a breeder and hand raised her. She was a great bird hung around on my shoulders all day when I was home but she hated any females. Would attack any that got close too me.

TheeLadyG

Most places have a bird rescue society, that's a great place to start! But as always,

DO YOUR RESEARCH

Lizzy23

Most places have a bird rescue society, that's a great place to start! But as always,

DO YOUR RESEARCH
dont worry I have done hours upon hours of research making sure that I can handle taking care of a toddler that never grows up and I have done tons of research on the right toys, perches, food, etc. as for a rescue I can't seem to find one but I'll keep looking.

Lizzy23

I got mine as a baby from a breeder and hand raised her. She was a great bird hung around on my shoulders all day when I was home but she hated any females. Would attack any that got close too me.
I would love to get mine from a breeder and raise it myself but I can't find a breeder that will let me meet the bird first but I'll keep looking

VeiltailKing

I got my green cheek conure from a local breeder. Never adopt from stores if you are looking for a nice bird to cuddle with and such. Birds from the stores are more than likely not hand raised or played with daily. They will/have developed bad habits and manners.

Lizzy23

Try craigslist. facebook groups sometimes have some, and so do local shelters for animals.

or you can take mine

Nah I wouldn't trade a million bucks for em. They do get noisy and poop A LOT, so get ready for that.
I haven't found any yet on facebook, or anything yet but I am actively checking incase something new pops up.also I am totally ready for noise and messes because I have a dog with anxiety and she barks and pee's every time she see's someone she doesn't know, I have to sit down on the floor with her and calm her down, but it's worth it because I love her.

Lizzy23

I got my green cheek conure from a local breeder. Never adopt from stores if you are looking for a nice bird to cuddle with and such. Birds from the stores are more than likely not hand raised or played with daily. They will/have developed bad habits and manners.
ya I visit the cockatiels at petland sometimes and feel bad for them because they are scared of people because kids are chasing them around trying to hold them all day. there was only 1 bird who would trust me enough to sit on my finger but it didn't want me to pet him.

TheeLadyG

Awesome it sounds like you are doing everything right! Have a little patience, your bird will come to you

Lacey D

This place is in Surrey:

anjuhluh

I adopted a 7yr old cockatiel from a rescue a few hours from me. He was not hand raised and is not hand tamed but I wouldn’t trade him for anything, he is adorable and a riot to watch. Too many birds are homeless, don’t give up on adopting. It took me nearly a year to find one available within driving distance from me. I hope to get him somewhat hand tame but if not it is what it is. My 23 yr old tiel doesn’t allow anyone to touch him so I’m used to it.

VeiltailKing

I adopted a 7yr old cockatiel from a rescue a few hours from me. He was not hand raised and is not hand tamed but I wouldn’t trade him for anything, he is adorable and a riot to watch. Too many birds are homeless, don’t give up on adopting. It took me nearly a year to find one available within driving distance from me. I hope to get him somewhat hand tame but if not it is what it is. My 23 yr old tiel doesn’t allow anyone to touch him so I’m used to it.
You’re not able to touch your birds? You always want to be able to touch your birds. Both for their safety, such as making sure they’re healthy or if they ever get hurt somehow to check them over, and for your safety. I recommend hand raised birds. Ones that aren’t hand raised are generally not tame. I understand the good that comes from adopting or rescuing, but if you want a tame bird that you can easily handle and play with I would not go to stores.

anjuhluh

You’re not able to touch your birds? You always want to be able to touch your birds. Both for their safety, such as making sure they’re healthy or if they ever get hurt somehow to check them over, and for your safety. I recommend hand raised birds. Ones that aren’t hand raised are generally not tame. I understand the good that comes from adopting or rescuing, but if you want a tame bird that you can easily handle and play with I would not go to stores.
I can pick them up and trim their nails/wings/beak, medicate them etc. it doesn’t mean THEY like it or want it. I never said it was impossible to touch them. Playing with and petting birds is a personal preference not a requirement to keep them healthy and happy.

Kathryn Crook

I LOVED my cockatiel! You have chosen a great bird to adopt. Mine would walk THROUGH my cereal in the mornings but it was so funny I didnt care. They don't bite hard and mine was never too noisy and I didnt care if it crapped on me, as long as it loved me. I would have another if I could. I wish you luck and hope you find a lifelong friend! (They can live for 25 yrs)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LeoDiaz
  • mammaguppy
  • Bird
Replies
Views
mammaguppy
  • gremlin
  • Bird
Replies